Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

When it's good it's quite fun. When you're grinding away and then you get another grinding quest on the far side of the map dumped on you it can be frustrating.

I said I'd try it out (because it's free) and I've ended up ploughing 50+ hours into it over the past month.
    The grinding is almost too much to take but when you break the game up into bitesized morsels you can make sufficient progress before the grinding starts to annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Gbear wrote: »
    When it's good it's quite fun. When you're grinding away and then you get another grinding quest on the far side of the map dumped on you it can be frustrating.

I said I'd try it out (because it's free) and I've ended up ploughing 50+ hours into it over the past month.
    The grinding is almost too much to take but when you break the game up into bitesized morsels you can make sufficient progress before the grinding starts to annoy you.

it takes longer but i found rerolling really helps especially on empire whose storylines i found to be superior

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Decided to give this another go after seeing the details on the new expansion last night. Thankfully, if you subscribe, you can play through just by doing your class quests, and can ignore almost all the filler. If nothing else, it will allow you to experience some pretty good stories in the Old Republic era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Kiith wrote: »
    Decided to give this another go after seeing the details on the new expansion last night. Thankfully, if you subscribe, you can play through just by doing your class quests, and can ignore almost all the filler. If nothing else, it will allow you to experience some pretty good stories in the Old Republic era.

Bah! I played this until it went F2P (I didn't stop because of F2P, more to do with IRL stuff) and did all the end-game stuff, even on nightmare difficulty. I haven't gone back, but I am getting cravings... I loved the story, the conversations, the lore, and I really enjoyed the art style. I want to come back, I really do... but I probably shouldn't... Bah!

......maybe I will download it and have a look....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Falthyron wrote: »
    Bah! I played this until it went F2P (I didn't stop because of F2P, more to do with IRL stuff) and did all the end-game stuff, even on nightmare difficulty. I haven't gone back, but I am getting cravings... I loved the story, the conversations, the lore, and I really enjoyed the art style. I want to come back, I really do... but I probably shouldn't... Bah!

......maybe I will download it and have a look....

The community are a large group of w*ank. That's what put me off. And I've played since the start. Got most of end game gear also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Not played in a while and updated after seeing this post. Can't remember a bit of the controls / settings. Might dip back in. Probably won't though.

The community are a large group of w*ank. That's what put me off. And I've played since the start. Got most of end game gear also.

How so? Every game has problems with 'drama' in guilds etc., but is this game particularly bad now for some reason?

Also, can someone clarify if subscribers get discounts for purchasing Cartel Coin things, like name changes etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Falthyron wrote: »
    How so? Every game has problems with 'drama' in guilds etc., but is this game particularly bad now for some reason?

Also, can someone clarify if subscribers get discounts for purchasing Cartel Coin things, like name changes etc.?

Cartel coins are for those who pay. They add towards cost to buy cosmetic goods and name change.

The reason I disliked it as because of your build was not to the exact like of certain groups, they kick you from the team, so if you had a hybrid character and not fully dps or tank, you got booted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cartel coins are for those who pay. They add towards cost to buy cosmetic goods and name change.

The reason I disliked it as because of your build was not to the exact like of certain groups, they kick you from the team, so if you had a hybrid character and not fully dps or tank, you got booted.

Wouldn't do it to someone who was using a less that optimum build as you describe but you get right ass hats going into matchmaking with almost full DPS builds as tanks.

There a difference between less than optimum and being incapable of acting as a tank.

When the cartel store came out I got a good few games with lads in full cartel gear with no mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Glebee wrote: »
    Not played in a while and updated after seeing this post. Can't remember a bit of the controls / settings. Might dip back in. Probably won't though.

The Revan expansion was pretty cool. Bit of a grind starting out but really good once it hit its stride.

• Advertisement

I went back to it for a bit there. Found the servers very light in population. have been waiting up to 45 minutes for 3 people just to complete missions.

The more i play it the more its not a star wars game, its more of a space sim. It still grinds my gears that the choice of races to play are all second rate that would might never pick , that is except Human and Zabrack. I hear they will be adding Togruta soon, there again another human faced alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

I went back to it for a bit there. Found the servers very light in population. have been waiting up to 45 minutes for 3 people just to complete missions.

The more i play it the more its not a star wars game, its more of a space sim. It still grinds my gears that the choice of races to play are all second rate that would might never pick , that is except Human and Zabrack. I hear they will be adding Togruta soon, there again another human faced alien.

Have to agree with this, just cant get the Star Wars vibe from the game, I understand its setting is not what we are used to but without the light sabres it could be any space game really...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I dunno it's like kotor if you stick to single player, it's really only good for that .

I had to move to American servers for people .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

From the way the Bioware guy talked about the upcoming expansion, I got a strong vibe it's going to be very single player focused.

Yeah, that's part of the reason i went back. They even added a way to play through the later raids without other players. I plan on levelling most classes to near max level with the massive XP boost, just for the single player stories. Knight and Smuggler first, then get me some Sith action :)

Yeah, that's part of the reason i went back. They even added a way to play through the later raids without other players. I plan on levelling most classes to near max level with the massive XP boost, just for the single player stories. Knight and Smuggler first, then get me some Sith action :)

Nice what system is that.

What server were people on, saying that I've no idea what server mine merged into (and probably merged into again).

There's a good game in here under all the ****e.

I'm on Freedon Nadd i think.
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Nice what system is that.

Anyone who subscribes automatically gets 12x experience from their class missions. So you can skip pretty much everything, and just enjoy the story for each class.

Had a funny problem with this. I can't get it to run on my pc since I overclocked my CPU. I can just disable it and presumably it'll be fine but I haven't had any problems with any other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm on Freedon Nadd i think.

Anyone who subscribes automatically gets 12x experience from their class missions. So you can skip pretty much everything, and just enjoy the story for each class.

This would definitely be a huge incentive for me to go back and re-sub. Been meaning to finish two of the storylines for ages now, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

So it seems all the Star Wars hype is breathing a good bit of life into the game.

I started levelling up a new character just over a week ago to try it out again, and was nicely surprised by the sheer amount of people that were around. Grouping up for 4 person heroic quests is amazingly easy, something I was never able to do when I had last tried it in 2012.

If anybody is on the fence about trying it out again, i'd say it's worth a shot. It's f2p with an optional sub, so you've got nothing to lose.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    So it seems all the Star Wars hype is breathing a good bit of life into the game.

I started levelling up a new character just over a week ago to try it out again, and was nicely surprised by the sheer amount of people that were around. Grouping up for 4 person heroic quests is amazingly easy, something I was never able to do when I had last tried it in 2012.

If anybody is on the fence about trying it out again, i'd say it's worth a shot. It's f2p with an optional sub, so you've got nothing to lose.

I never seem to be able to get a team together for Flashpoints.

I was in the queue for over an hour the other day and nothing.

Still haven't got Shadow of Revan. My subscription just ran out the other day as well. Hopefully they do some sort of bundle when the new expansion comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Gbear wrote: »
    I never seem to be able to get a team together for Flashpoints.

I was in the queue for over an hour the other day and nothing.

Still haven't got Shadow of Revan. My subscription just ran out the other day as well. Hopefully they do some sort of bundle when the new expansion comes out.

FPs for levelling do take a while to pop. F2P players just seem to ignore them for the mostpart, not sure if it's a restriction or what. I often see over 100 people leveling in a single zone, so it doesn't seem to be for lack of players of the required level.

Once the new expansion comes out, you get all 3 expansions for one month of subscription.

It's a shame that they aren't throwing in shadow of revan for subscribers now though. I find it hard to justify paying the full expansion price + sub for something that i'll be getting for free in several months. Problem is, if i wait then i'll be doing shadow of revan content while everybody else is trying out the new stuff.

Can an existing subscriber/player clarify something for me please?

I am a preferred player (I bought the Collector's Edition on release and was a full subscriber for about a year) and I would like to know if I re-subscribe now, so I can get the new expansion for free, do I also have access to all the existing content that has been released since launch? I.e. Hutt Cartel, Revan expansion, guild ships, your own apartment, and everything else? Or do I only get some bits but not others?

Thanks!

You won't get the Revan expansion, but everything else is included. Just subscribe and it'll all be there (assuming you have the credits for it as in the Apartments case).

You won't get the Revan expansion, but everything else is included. Just subscribe and it'll all be there (assuming you have the credits for it as in the Apartments case).

Cheers! And what price would I have to pay for the Revan expansion? Is there a discount if I go through a 3rd party site? Or would you recommend waiting until the new expansion comes out?

I think it was around €20 when i was looking recently. Didn't buy it in the end, as i figured i'd see if i would actually get to max level on the bases content, but i don't think it was any cheaper from any of the 3rd party sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Thinking of getting back into the game, I would be a preferred player after picking up the game for 10 euro. Do they still remind you that you're not a subscriber when you try to do things?

Might sub this week, brother is playing through the kotor games so might join him if he starts this.

• Advertisement

Same thinking of subbing to do the storyline. Just playing through kotor atm.

Advertisement