Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking To Buy A Spanish Sim Card - Mainly For Data.

• 06-07-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I was recently in Spain and was just using my Irish 3 sim card as usual but when I was there I said I would look into getting a Spanish sim card so I could have data while in Spain, because when I used data roaming it ran up my bill ferociously. I want to be able to have data because I want to be able to check things on the internet, I know I could use wifi but I found it hard to get free wifi. Most of them were locked or just simple didn't work for some reason. Just wondering who is the best network operator to go for and also the cheapest. I have been looking a bit but most of them seem to only have 1 or 2GB of data, but I thought you could get a lot more on pre pay. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I read it on the forum here recently, and I just wrote about it earlier, but Three UK SIM cards offer unlimited roaming data. It is worth buying one if you're over there.

http://www.moolamonkey.com/blog/how-to-roam-for-less/

It works out around €30 but it pays off fast.

If you're so inclined, companies like MaxRoam offer SIM cards. AFAIK, if you buy a Spanish SIM you'll need a passport and details.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

I read it on the forum here recently, and I just wrote about it earlier, but Three UK SIM cards offer unlimited roaming data. It is worth buying one if you're over there.

http://www.moolamonkey.com/blog/how-to-roam-for-less/

It works out around €30 but it pays off fast.

If you're so inclined, companies like MaxRoam offer SIM cards. AFAIK, if you buy a Spanish SIM you'll need a passport and details.

Thanks I will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

If there's an Orange shop near where you are visiting then you can get a competitive PAYG data SIM for around €15.

All you need is your passport (Spanish law) and an unlocked phone.

I find that the staff usually have very good English if you're worried about that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Three UK sim is the best bet. You can roam in so many countries and they will offer 25GB data when you top up by 15 pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

boardzz wrote: »
    Three UK sim is the best bet. You can roam in so many countries and they will offer 25GB data when you top up by 15 pound.

Thanks, very helpful .Do you have to do anything to enable to roaming data? Is it at the same rates as national data?

• Advertisement

So with a £15 top up on a 3 UK sim you get 25GB of data while roaming.

Yeah, I looked into buying a three uk sim but not sure how to top up, because they only accept credit cards from uk addresses. Can someone give me all the details about this? Thanks.

You can top up your handset using PayPal and a variety of other options by using http://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/ or other similar sites.

The aforementioned seems to be the cheapest site of the lot, but there are others that charge a lot more.

And, obviously, I'm not involved with such a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Ya buy credit from top up websites or if you are flying via london but at airport.
    The 15 top up is used when you buy an add on that gives unlimited data.
    When roaming they allow 25GB.

Ya buy credit from top up websites or if you are flying via london but at airport.
    The 15 top up is used when you buy an add on that gives unlimited data.
    When roaming they allow 25GB.

An add on? Does that mean you have to top up by a certain amount and then add on an additional £15. Also what are the costs of calling/texting to Irish phones from abroad with the 3 uk sim.

• Advertisement

For example:

If you're in Spain and getting in touch with Ireland:

Call a number in Republic of Ireland 18.8p per minute. 18.8p per minute.
    Text a number in Republic of Ireland 5.9p per message. 5.9p per message.

Advertisement