Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any such thing thing as 'Irish Classical Music'?

Options
  • 19-07-2015 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm not sure what that actual definition of 'classical music' is - I assume it is very broad. But I have always wondered; is there such a genre as 'Irish Classical Music'?
    Has there ever been any acclaimed Irish composers? Is there a certain style of classical music that is Irish? Are there any famous Irish Classical pieces? Etc etc.
    Thanks, and Ps, I'm a novice in regars to this art form (I'm more of an art-lover).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Turlough O Carolan is a figure I'd consider as a composer in the Baroque tradition though hes mainly associated with Irish traditional music.In the early 19th century there was John Field though I don't know if you could say theres anything overly Irish about his music.Onto the twentieth century theres Sean O Riada,who again is associated mainly with Irish trad but also did classical compositions like on the LP Vertical Man,also Gerard Victory(not very well known,not outside Ireland anyway).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

Well, classical music can be broken up into different sub-sections like all art - there are gien names to each time period, i.e Baroque (1600-1750), Vienna Classical (1750-1800) etc, etc, etc...

John Field, as was mentioned by a previous poster, is widely considered the inventor of the Nocturne - and belongs to the early romantic period. As a wannabe concert pianist, I am ashamed to admit I haven't heard much of his works.

More recently, Contemporary Irish composer Patrick Cassidy is well worth checking out. Have a listen to his Aria -"Vide Cor Meum" - which featured on the soundtrack to the movie Hannibal a few years back. It is a stunning piece: Sorry, I am still a relatively new member so can't do Youtube linkys - You will find it via a quick search, though

I would add, I hate putting nationalities to music - I guess that's why I hate National Anthems, especially the Irish one... So... so... zzzzZzzzzzZzzzzzz... dull... Anyways...

"ducks for cover*

"Quack!"

Advertisement