Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning & Tall Buildings in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

brownbeard wrote: »

22 storeys near the heart of the old city - this should start a bit of fun when the usual suspects get their outrage in gear! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Most European Cities generally don't have an issue mixing old and new in their historic core

NATKgC8.jpg

For some reason we've gotten it into our heads that we musn't have modernity in eyeshot of Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

cgcsb wrote: »
    Most European Cities generally don't have an issue mixing old and new in their historic core

NATKgC8.jpg

For some reason we've gotten it into our heads that we musn't have modernity in eyeshot of Merrion Square.

London is a fantastic city for mixed architecture. Its a shame we can't aspire to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The thing is though, that I think it works best when there's a really strong contrast between the two, i.e. an ultra-modern design rather than a watered down one that somehow tries to "fit in" by incorporating design elements from the buildings around it, which I guess isn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Zhane wrote: »
    London is a fantastic city for mixed architecture. Its a shame we can't aspire to it.

We wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of some Georgian building eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    We wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of some Georgian building eh? :rolleyes:

Oh heavens no. :rolleyes:

Alun wrote: »
    The thing is though, that I think it works best when there's a really strong contrast between the two, i.e. an ultra-modern design rather than a watered down one that somehow tries to "fit in" by incorporating design elements from the buildings around it, which I guess isn't going to happen.

Agreed some of that 90's red brick faux georgian stuff is mank.
    Although later attempts at faux georgian look really well, Parnell Square East for example.

Agreed some of that 90's red brick faux georgian stuff is mank.
    Although later attempts at faux georgian look really well, Parnell Square East for example.

I also like that late 70s building at Leeson St bridge.

If you want to "fit-in" then replicate - and ignore the "Disneyland" sneers and cheap "pastiche" jibes.

The guys who built the Four Courts weren't bothered that they were building a "pastiche" of Greek/Roman buildings.

And if you want a modern building - make it stand out, not fit in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭crushproof

22 storeys near the heart of the old city - this should start a bit of fun when the usual suspects get their outrage in gear! :rolleyes:

This plan is still rattling along...are there any images available at all? Hopefully they don't go with the plan from the early 2000's as that would be wel outdated by now.

• Advertisement

Johnny Ronan is getting involved afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Johnny Ronan is getting involved afaik
    His face is the pic for the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Speaking purely from an architectural standpoint (because the political side is a minefield I don't want to enter), Ronan is surely one of the better options to be involved here - CCD and Barrow Street are great modern buildings, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭crushproof

MJohnston wrote: »
    Speaking purely from an architectural standpoint (because the political side is a minefield I don't want to enter), Ronan is surely one of the better options to be involved here - CCD and Barrow Street are great modern buildings, imo.

Wouldn't agree fully with the CCD. Frontage yes, but the huge bare wall facing out onto the canal is ridiculous. They could have done so much more with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

Paris keeps them very separate - not sure which one I'd advocate though.

paris_1.jpg

Paris keeps them very separate - not sure which one I'd advocate though.

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1240x826/o_r/paris_1.jpg

I'd definitely go with Paris. They don't seem to worry about the "vista" from some obscure angles in the core being ruined by the distant new buildings.

Like the anti-tall buildings at Heuston/Docklands brigade do here.

There is even an active anti-tall buildings in Sandyford lobby. ffs.

The Paris/Amsterdam model of having the main office hub outside the City is a bit of a community disaster, it means that Amsterdam Zuid and La Defense are DEAD after 6pm and it also means people must commute to these areas which puts a greater strain on the transport system. We sould encourage multi use communities and walking/cycling short distance commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think we can have some sort of mixture of the two in Dublin though, we have a great opportunity with the north docklands, the area between PWC and the 3 Arena, there is still loads of land there to develop, but if we have a mixture of residential/commercial/hotels/concert venues/restaurants etc we won't have to worry about the issue of it being dead after 6pm as you say, while also not being anywhere in eyesight of the "precious" georgian dublin.

This will take some clever planning, and with the exception of the lack of high rise, I think the Grand Canal Dock area has done a good job of mixing commercial, residential and nightlife.

Frankfurt has the right idea with a built UP city core comprising high rise scattered among low rise:

001_56_GERMANY_Frankfurt-am-Main_412.JPG

No worries about shadows being cast, sightlines and other stupidity.

Frankfurt has the right idea with a built UP city core comprising high rise scattered among low rise.

No worries about shadows being cast, sightlines and other stupidity.

Yes but seriously....Frankfurt? No great vistas to ruin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Agreed, those buildings in Frankfurt were just replacing horrid 1950s style apartments thrown up after the war.

Yes but seriously....Frankfurt? No great vistas to ruin!

The RAF did the Germans a big favour.

Surely it was better before that?

I've often wondered what would have remained of "Georgian Dublin" had we taken the advice of the "belted earls" and joined WW2! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

really hope your being ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, the Germans were delighted.

http://www.rense.com/general19/flame.htm

:rolleyes:

loyatemu wrote: »
    really hope your being ironic.

Hey, at least Germans don't have to worry about conservationists making nuisances of themselves. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Portland_and_Mt_Hood.jpg

Portland does it quite well and they have real views to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Surely it was better before that?

I've often wondered what would have remained of "Georgian Dublin" had we taken the advice of the "belted earls" and joined WW2! :D

Sure the Irish State made up for that in the 60s when they went on their own little blitzkrieg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Portland does it quite well and they have real views to worry about.

Standard US city though - nearly every building in that photo is ugly as sin

• Advertisement

Portland doesn't have an historic core in all fairness now.

Advertisement