Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish summer ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

But where are you located? I don't know whether to agree with you or not :)

In this realm (Dub) 1985 was by far the worst and then 2007 I recall regarding as the "worst since 1985".

After 2007 we just got a string of terrible (or mediocre) summers till the siege lifted in 2013.

And it hasn't been bad since, we'll get a good three-in-a-row if the shield stays up!

I am from midlands Leinster but have lived in Dublin and the south in more recent years. I was in Clonmel in 1997 working and that was by far the worst summer ever here. I remember I was up in Carrick on Shannon that same year in August and it was lovely up there. 1997 was a bad summer and year in general for the south but not for the north of the country. The south got 5 days nonstop rain in August, prolonged spells of wet and fog and violent hurricane force winds in December and Christmas Eve in particular. It was not as bad the further up the country one went but still bad in the Laois/Offaly area in December that year.

The likes of 2007 had a prolonged spell of early summer weather in March and April. 2008 was similar. 2009 had lovely weather in April and again in September. I was in Dublin in 2007 and it was almost as bad as 1997 was in Clonmel. But good early weather and an improvement in September kinda saved it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

The worst Irish summer ever was 2007. Days in a row or rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

JJEP wrote: »

Not in Dublin! And the national stats don't support you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

JJEP wrote: »

2007 was bad. My first summer in my current job and I remember it rained every single weekday I worked from May to August in naas. I remember driving in 26° heat then the black clouds rolled in and it poured rain for half an hour dropping the temp to 15°

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Not in Dublin! And the national stats don't support you either.

Stats don't always tell the story. Almost everyone would agree, summer 2007 was the wettest, or saw most rainfall in at least 20 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Stats don't always tell the story. Almost everyone would agree, summer 2007 was the wettest, or saw most rainfall in at least 20 years?

No - 2012 was the worst in my experience, and my memory goes as far back as 1976. 2007 to 2011 where pretty bad but they where just building up to 2012. So far 2015 is looking like a bad summer - a so-so June, and a rotten July (it was distinctly chilly this morning too).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2015 definitely wants to be a contender

I actually thought 2012 wasn't so bad? Not much sunshine but dryer than 07 surley? 2015 is right up there anyway

I was arguing that 1985 was far worse than 2007, which it certainly was in Dublin.

I think the problem here is that many of you folk can't remember it - or weren't even born. ;)

I actually thought 2012 wasn't so bad? Not much sunshine but dryer than 07 surley? 2015 is right up there anyway

Can't be! - if half the population are experiencing a marginally better than average summer :rolleyes:

If it rained every day from now till August 31st this year still wouldn't come close to the worst!

(Beautiful sunny morning here, btw, 15C, lovely - another dry day in paradise!)

• Advertisement

Grey and miserable here again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, will we even see a 20 anywhere for the rest of the month?
    Jean B said last night that next week is looking no better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I was arguing that 1985 was far worse than 2007, which it certainly was in Dublin.

I think the problem here is that many of you folk can't remember it - or weren't even born. ;)

True many here will not remember 85'. 1985 was the worst here and is still talked about more so among the farming community.

In 1985 making hay for cattle feeding was the main source of feeding along with cutting silage. Cutting silage then was not on the same speed as today. In that year my hay was a total mess, black and rotten it ended up. Anyway to cut a long story short that year effected many more so through the loss of income and hardship. 2007 was a bad summer yes but it doesn't stick in my mind as the machinery we use today can all have cut in one day and stored, But in 85' it took 5 to 7 good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was only 6 degrees at 7am in Dublin this morning with wind chill. Time to start wearing a jacket again as there is a nip in the air. April was better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

2012 was a washout for about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

2015 definitely will be a contender for worst irish summer by the way things are going :(. Knew that good spell back in April wouldn't do us any favours.

Can't be! - if half the population are experiencing a marginally better than average summer :rolleyes:

If it rained every day from now till August 31st this year still wouldn't come close to the worst!

2015 seems to be an average Irish summer. Above average in some places. Not bad, not great.

1997 was by far the worst I ever came across with 1985 a close second. But 1997 depended where one was. Worst summer ever in the South, Southwest, Southeast and East for sure, and middling in the rest of the country.

Overall, I remember 1997 as having progressively worse and worse weather in the Clonmel area I was then based in. Early good summery weather in April, May and early June was followed by a a poor later June and July with a lot of rain and showers mixed in with some sunny days. But it was from August onwards that things really went from bad to worse. A broken spell in late Jluy ushered in 5 days nonstop rain for the early week of August (I mean non-stop rain as in it never stopped raining: not 5 days where rain fell and stopped for some period). The rest of August had thunder, fog/humidity and more rain. I remember well the time Diana was killed and the mix of fog and torrential rain around this period. What made a bad summer worse is that September was also poor and the winter was atrocious (a violent hurricane force storm on Christmas eve being the worst but I remember the awful dose of wet and windy weather lasted well into January 1998 as well). The likes of 2007, 2008 and 2009 in the summer months were also bad but at least had a nice followup late on unlike 1997. 7, 8 and 9 however win the prize for 3 bad ones in a row. At least with 1997, it was preceded by the good 1996 and exceptional 1995 and followed by a middling 1998 (albeit the December period of 1998 was just as bad as 1997 though the summer was better) and a good 1999. Now with all the talk of bad summers, here are the best ten I remember of the past 30 years.

10. 1996
    9. 2006.
    8. 1999
    7. 1990.
    6. 2000.
    5. 1989.
    4. 2013.
    3. 2003.
    2. 2014.
    1. 1995.

2005 and 2010 were better than average too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    2015 definitely will be a contender for worst irish summer by the way things are going :(. Knew that good spell back in April wouldn't do us any favours.

For some reason April seems to be getting a good positive mention this year.It was actually an average to poor April , with most locations being colder and wetter than normal.

This summer I would describe as extremely average (east coast). Definitely no where near as bad as 85,02,07 or 12 but nothing to write home about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

I was on holiday in Croatia in July 2007,I got the irish papers every day,I can remember reading a piece saying it was the 53rd straight day of rain in Ireland.

I can also remember getting a taxi to the airport in July 2011,I can clearly remember the cab driver saying to us that we were lucky to be getting away from this weather,it was torrential that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

JM Skipton wrote: »
    For some reason April seems to be getting a good positive mention this year.It was actually an average to poor April , with most locations being colder and wetter than normal.

This summer I would describe as extremely average (east coast). Definitely no where near as bad as 85,02,07 or 12 but nothing to write home about either.

April was lovely in Mayo in stretches, for the last two months though we have had far more rain than sunshine, and when we get sunshine it is always coupled with a moderate breeze, windiest summer I can remember here in a long time.

In Castlebar we have had over 330mm of rain since the start of May, with an average temperature of just 13.0C in June and 14.2C so far this month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JM Skipton wrote: »

After a brutal May of this year, June gave us some hope as it was half decent but this July has been below average, we haven't had much rain this month but just alot of cloud, wind and temps struggling past 15C for the past 2 weeks and looks like there is much more of the same conditions over the next couple of weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

This blustery rainy crap is unbearable. I spent the last few summers in London and they're much warmer. Apart from maybe Scotland, does anywhere have a worse summer than Ireland? My ex lives in Yellowknife, Canada, and the summers are fine and sunny. I'd nearly put up with an appalling Canadian winter to be guaranteed outdoorsy summery weather for months every year.
    Only 25 years till I can retire in Spain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

If I remember correctly, 2010 was a good summer but it was followed by a dreadfully severe winter! Also, it seems that when there appears to be a good 'early' summer in April / May, we end up paying for it with a bad July/August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

If I remember correctly, 2010 was a good summer

I wouldn't call it a good summer but it was the best we got from 2007 - 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Why is everyone beating up on 1985? It had the best thunderstorm in living memory! :pac:

That was a great night, I was only a wee lad and I remember it like it was yesterday.

If I remember correctly, 2010 was a good summer but it was followed by a dreadfully severe winter! Also, it seems that when there appears to be a good 'early' summer in April / May, we end up paying for it with a bad July/August.

Yes, 2010 was above average summer and followed by the worst winter cold and snow wise for years. Too much good weather in the February, March, April or May period can usher in a bad summer often: Such months were good in 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2002 and 1997 for example: and all were very bad summers. They were also good in middling summers like 1998 and 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I remember summer 2007 was so bad that I joined I gym. I used to drive to a gym to work out. I wasn't going to walk/jog/run in the rain. Depressing summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

I would say unless there's some improvement before the end of august this summer will defently be the orst summer I can remember. 2012 was crap but I can recall a few fairly warm humid days in june and july.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

This summer has been mixed bag so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

After that rain yesterday and the depression that has set in on me, I would formally like to lodge 2015 as a contender for worst summer ever

Advertisement