Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car to replace Peugeot 406

• 14-07-2015 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Hoping this is the right forum for my question. I currently drive a Peugeot 406 which is a real solid car and really fuel efficient . I commute around 120k per day and I am now looking to change my car. Just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what car to choose. ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

508 I suppose would be the logical successor. Or go mad and get a RCZ R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What's your budget?

Budget about 13k.....

Laguna III

Hard to think of something that'll be as comfy as your 406.

Mondeo is hard to beat value wise, it's big and cheap -as long as you can get past the nasty (IMO) interior (which I can't)

Something like an octavia might fit the bill too. There are infinite options out there. Best to draw up a list of what you like and start crossing off stuff that doesn't suit.

Laguna III

Hard to think of something that'll be as comfy as your 406.

Mondeo is hard to beat value wise, it's big and cheap -as long as you can get past the nasty (IMO) interior (which I can't)

See that is the one thing I can't get past....I hate the look of it.....! The 406 is great but just looks really old and boxy now.... What about a Volvo S40 or Citroen C5...? Suppose reliability is a concern and my 406 has been brill

• Advertisement

S40 will be a good bit smaller than your 406

I like the idea of a c5, I keep saying I'll buy one, but always chicken out.

S40 will be a good bit smaller than your 406

I like the idea of a c5, I keep saying I'll buy one, but always chicken out.

I do like the Audi A4 but the interior is very basic....was also looking at an insignia but they are so common ! I think the C5 may win the battle !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

508 I suppose would be the logical successor. Or go mad and get a RCZ R

This! Rcz is a fab car ! Unless u have smallies... my oh has a Ford focus and will never go to another make. Model he'd probably trade to a mondeo but neither car has ever given us any trouble !

MsGiggles wrote: »
    I do like the Audi A4 but the interior is very basic....was also looking at an insignia but they are so common ! I think the C5 may win the battle !

What about a Passat. It can have nicer interiors than most a4s you'll get in Ireland if you get a comfortline or highline

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

MsGiggles wrote: »
    I do like the Audi A4 but the interior is very basic

Huh? audi miles ahead on interiors in my opinion, different strokes I guess. Whatever you get, you probably won't get reliability like the 406 but if your 120k commute is mostly good fast roads you should avoid dpf issues.

If I was you I'd keep the 13k in me pocket and keep rockin the 406!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    This! Rcz is a fab car ! Unless u have smallies... my oh has a Ford focus and will never go to another make. Model he'd probably trade to a mondeo but neither car has ever given us any trouble !

A fine yoke to drive. Octavia not bad either but obviously a lot more boring.

Don't think there is anything wrong with the look of the 406 and hardly a reason to change

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Peugeot 508, pretty much the same car as the C5 and way better than the 407 that superseded the 406:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/508/2.0-HDI/141414229589288740/

bazz26 wrote: »
    Peugeot 508, pretty much the same car as the C5 and way better than the 407 that superseded the 406:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/508/2.0-HDI/141414229589288740/

The 508 looks really nice alright - I had the 407 before I had the 406 and boy did that thing cost me a fortune !!! I was commuting about 200k a day and the 407 was literally a money pit !

I am really impressed with the reliability of the 406 but would really love a new car - But just so nervous in case I get something that will end up costing me in the long run !

I think the risk is there with any modern car especially a diesel one.

Always a risk with a new car I suppose....thanks all for your advice, much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ford Mondeo looks great like your own Aston Martin but a lot cheaper to run.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Im now thinking Mazda 6...

The only Mazda 6 diesel in your price range is the second generation and I would not touch one of those in diesel. They have been known to give big expensive problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hard to replace a 406. They were great cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think the risk is there with any modern car especially a diesel one.

Why do you say that??

exaisle wrote: »
    Why do you say that??

Because modern cars are alot more complex in design than the likes of a 406 which was launched nearly 20 years ago. Cars these days have more electronics, sensors, etc meaning when something goes wrong it tends to cost alot to fix or replace.

Because modern cars are alot more complex in design than the likes of a 406 which was launched nearly 20 years ago. Cars these days have more electronics, sensors, etc meaning when something goes wrong it tends to cost alot to fix or replace.
    Any suggestions for me Bazz ?

I kinda scrunched my nose up when I saw it, I just don't like Renualt...!

I was thinking Saab 9-3......

The problem with the Saab is that the 9-3 is basically a 2002 design based on the Opel Vectra of the time. Grand imo if your spending small enough money on one but I wouldn't be spending €13k on a 9-3.

Opel Insignia:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Opel/Insignia/SE-2.0/171014343673091150/

The problem with the Saab is that the 9-3 is basically a 2002 design based on the Opel Vectra of the time. Grand imo if your spending small enough money on one but I wouldn't be spending €13k on a 9-3.

Opel Insignia:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Opel/Insignia/SE-2.0/171014343673091150/
    I had thought of an Insignia all the same - I would spend about 8 or 9k on a Saab.....I just really like them....I was worried about how costly parts would be etc, that was my only concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I take your point re. sensors, but my question referred more to the "diesel" part of your comment....

exaisle wrote: »
    I take your point re. sensors, but my question referred more to the "diesel" part of your comment....

Modern diesels are very complex and can be less reliable, lots of extra bits like high pressure fuel injectors, dual mass flywheels to make them feel smoother, particular filters to make them "greener". Most of these parts fail sooner rather than later and are quite expensive to replace. To put another analogy on it, CRT TVs made 15 or 20 years ago while ancient by today's standards would probably outlast any of the LED TVs made today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thats a lovely Laguna very classy interior too looks really well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement