Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

First glimpse of the Demigryphs. No gameplay footage today, but Friday will see the release of the first in-engine trailer. Woo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Varik wrote: »
    There's going to be years of dlc for the vast number of easily sellable factions and they'll still have their historic games as well so i don't think so.

Don't think 40k would suit it, even on the table top it's closer to the relics games.

Age of Sigmar looks perfect for a DOW II reskinning. :(

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As excited as I am about the idea of fantasy Total War, I really don't like what they've done with the last few games, so I find it hard to be excited, regardless of the setting. I maintain that Rome 2 was a total, buggy, unfun disaster of a game, and remains so despite patching.

So, eh, I'll look out for reviews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Zillah wrote: »
    As excited as I am about the idea of fantasy Total War, I really don't like what they've done with the last few games, so I find it hard to be excited, regardless of the setting. I maintain that Rome 2 was a total, buggy, unfun disaster of a game, and remains so despite patching.

So, eh, I'll look out for reviews?

Shogun 2 was quality. Rome 2 and Atilla are tough to get into tbh, but Atilla is actually pretty decent in comparison. I agree with ye overall though, i'm not sure about this as a direction, as much as i'm looking forward to it i'm dreading it being a dire bugged mess like every TW game ever released since sega took over

But ye know what, i'll end up buying into the hype and preordering it anyway, and probably come on here to bitch and moan about it after an hour of actually playing it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

It's the extra £30 worth of DLC that puts me off tw games nowadays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1st in game trailer. Looks ****ing amazing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, I think theres going to be a very big difference between this in-engine trailer and the eventual in-game trailers, they pushed it too far into the realm of unbelievable here, its too perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

savage stuff

Possible Witcher style RPG with you playing an Inquisitor on the way aswell:

http://www.pcgamer.com/warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-announced/

• Advertisement

Certainly is an impressive video, and i'm being cynical here, but the Rome II pre release videos were really impressive too, if they manage to meld it all together with a good solid release or even one that's not so buggy it breaks the immersion of the game (which is what TW is all about for me really) i'll be even more impressed.

Any word of a release date? Coming soon is too vague :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm going to bankrupt myself with the DLC for this, sometimes I get them on sales but if any of the other factions show up I'll be buying those straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Holy crap that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

know nothing about warhammer but from looking at that, humans seem fcuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Okay, that video confirms (for me anyway), that TW and Warhammer work very well together. NB that's not the same as me saying the game will work on launch. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's some fantastic attention to detail there.
    The attack animations, the knights leaping over corpses and all that.

Be interesting to see how much makes it to the final version.
    You'd think that level of detail, with all the background as well (you could see the static lava-floes in that version - presumably they'll be animated), will be an absolute dog to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gbear wrote: »
    There's some fantastic attention to detail there.
    The attack animations, the knights leaping over corpses and all that.

Be interesting to see how much makes it to the final version.
    You'd think that level of detail, with all the background as well (you could see the static lava-floes in that version - presumably they'll be animated), will be an absolute dog to run.

CA traditionally have done well in this regard (i.e. I remember Medieval II causing my jaw to drop regarding unit animations) they also tend to bring out games that force GPU upgrades for people lagging behind a bit too much on the upgrade curve. :P

Glad I never rebought Medieval 2, thought it wasn't activatable on steam but turns out it was even if it's not on any list.

Seeing building-sized monsters slowly killing one solder at a time, with each animation taking ten seconds, when they could be annihilating dozens in every swing, is frustrating. Obviously you don't want things overpowered, but having them faff around fecklessly as though they were grown ups pretend-fighting s group of children is not a very good solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Seeing building-sized monsters slowly killing one solder at a time, with each animation taking ten seconds, when they could be annihilating dozens in every swing, is frustrating. Obviously you don't want things overpowered, but having them faff around fecklessly as though they were grown ups pretend-fighting s group of children is not a very good solution.

Who knows, Maybe they will have abilities to increase their damage. "Enraged Fury" or something like that ...

Watching the walk through was really nice even though I had read a bit about it a few weeks ago. Was nice to see the in-game engine. I just need more details ... Armys ... locations ... RELEASE DATE pls

• Advertisement

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Who knows, Maybe they will have abilities to increase their damage. "Enraged Fury" or something like that ...

Watching the walk through was really nice even though I had read a bit about it a few weeks ago. Was nice to see the in-game engine. I just need more details ... Armys ... locations ... RELEASE DATE pls
    Hoping for a better plot than yet another Ancient Evil has arisen aswell but Warhammer doesn't really deviate from its standard template...

It's not about increased damage, it's about having them behave in a way that doesn't look ridiculous. If you look at that giant/troll thing fighting the soldiers, he has a club the size of a bus, and he could swing it from side to side and smash them to bits in seconds (kind of Sauron-style), but instead he picks them up one by one with his free hand and bites them, with the club hanging limp.

It just looks silly. It's like he is making a conscious effort to not be overpowered :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you don't know him! he could be just having an off day or something
    give him 45 minutes and he'll be good to go again

It's not about increased damage, it's about having them behave in a way that doesn't look ridiculous. If you look at that giant/troll thing fighting the soldiers, he has a club the size of a bus, and he could swing it from side to side and smash them to bits in seconds (kind of Sauron-style), but instead he picks them up one by one with his free hand and bites them, with the club hanging limp.

It just looks silly. It's like he is making a conscious effort to not be overpowered :pac:

Hmm can I assume we are talking about the Giant here? (The trolls would be the smaller ones getting sick on everybody). I agree with you that they probably should've shown more than one animation with him because lets face it, who wants to see the same thing twice in a teaser trailer ?

I know in Warrhammer tabletop, trolls used to have a random attack (You roll a dice, depending on the number that's what he does, could be something like pick somebody up, swing with club, pick your nose! etc) so that could explain why he uses the exact same animation twice in a row. Maybe they have implemented something similar in the game.

The makers of this are making Halo Wars 2 aswell, havent played a decent RTS since WH: Dark Crusade so hopefully good. seems to require an upgrade to Windows 10 though.

Thargor wrote: »
    Seems to require an upgrade to Windows 10 though.

Havnt seen any of the specs online yet ?

No but its for Xbox One and Windows 10 in all the headlines.

Havnt seen any of the specs online yet ?

No way it isn't going to need windows 10, would be a requirement from Microsoft.

No way it isn't going to need windows 10, would be a requirement from Microsoft.

I just would've assumed youd still be able to run it on Win7/8

recommended system requirements, if they're saying win10 it's been/being tested on that with whatever hardware - other OS's will work they just wont be the recommended ones

• Advertisement

recommended system requirements, if they're saying win10 it's been/being tested on that with whatever hardware - other OS's will work they just wont be the recommended ones

Not talking about general system requirements, Microsoft are doing what they did with Halo 2.

Is it confirmed? I was just guessing from the way the news releases btw...

Not talking about general system requirements, Microsoft are doing what they did with Halo 2.

never played it on anything but the old original xbox, what did they do with it? platform specific?

never played it on anything but the old original xbox, what did they do with it? platform specific?

Vista only, few other game at that time too were the same.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it confirmed? I was just guessing from the way the news releases btw...

Guess the same, everything is about it being released on window 10/Xbox One. New version of minecraft (not java based) is in beta on windows 10 only too and that E3 pirate game as well.

Gone really off topic, but ye i think halo wars is 10 only and war hammer won't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hmm can I assume we are talking about the Giant here? (The trolls would be the smaller ones getting sick on everybody). I agree with you that they probably should've shown more than one animation with him because lets face it, who wants to see the same thing twice in a teaser trailer ?

I know in Warrhammer tabletop, trolls used to have a random attack (You roll a dice, depending on the number that's what he does, could be something like pick somebody up, swing with club, pick your nose! etc) so that could explain why he uses the exact same animation twice in a row. Maybe they have implemented something similar in the game.

It says it right there in the video "Pre-Alpha Video", I really wouldn't get hung up on the animations at all, in fact it's amazing that they even have the spells and unit diversity in the game already, the engine already existed so that's nothing new, but i'm well impressed by this footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Teaser trailer for the Dwarves.

Some people are saying this might mean the inclusion of underground battles.

follow up to the dwarf teaser - in engine cinematic

Oooh, and a long version of the same

https://youtu.be/iK0BMkKmwB4

• Advertisement

this just got an official release date of April 28th 2016

and a new Chaos faction trailer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Seriously pissed me off with that Pre Order DLC bs.

it's six months away though, if it was a day one dlc i'd be complaining - i dont see the harm in extra dlc for a preorder, i'd have preordered it anyway so happy days for me, even though i'll probably never play chaos

But you're paying for something that's already in the game, its not extra content.

These Chaos arnt the main faction chaos which will be in a later expansion, they are NPC which will be in the single player campaign.

I hate pre order and micro transactions in games which you have already payed full price for.

But you're paying for something that's already in the game, its not extra content.

These Chaos arnt the main faction chaos which will be in a later expansion, they are NPC which will be in the single player campaign.

I hate pre order and micro transactions in games which you have already payed full price for.

No you're not, you're buying the game prior to release and getting bonus content which may after launch be sold as DLC separate from the game, or it may not and may be exclusive to preorders. Either way you get the content for no extra fee when you preorder.

I don't like microtransactions either but this isn't a microtransaction.

edit: The preorder bonus is as follows according to steam
    Total War: WARHAMMER - Chaos Warriors Race Pack
    The Chaos Warriors Race Pack brings a new race with its own new Legendary Lords, units, mounts, items, quest chains and mechanics to Total War™: WARHAMMER®.

Three new playable Legendary Lords.
    New Chaos Warrior mounts, units and monsters.
    New quests, magic items and abilities.
    New horde campaign playstyle.

Lay waste to the Old World as the dreaded Chaos Warriors. This Pack includes a full roster of bloodthirsty units, terrifying mounts and monstrous creatures. Lead the corrupted Chaos hordes as one of three new playable Legendary Lords. Embrace the Ruinous Powers as you embark on brand new quest chains, unlocking powerful items and gaining glory in the name of the dark Chaos Gods.

Beyond Kislev, beyond Troll Country, beyond even the barren Norsca Peninsula lies a land shrouded in darkness, frozen in an unnatural, never-ending winter. Here, the mortal realm and the immaterial realm of Chaos overlap, creating an uncontrollable gateway to that infernal dimension from which all manner of nightmarish creatures spew forth.

It is a place where few mortals have dared to venture, and even fewer have returned. The wild people that live in the lands to the south are devout in their worship of the Chaos Gods and many seek to journey north and offer themselves up to become tools of their will. Those that do survive this unholy pilgrimage and live to tell the tale are irreversibly altered. Clad in dark armour bearing the dread marks of ruinous favour, possessed of an unwavering resolve to carry out the will of their malevolent deities, with the indomitable Archaon the Everchosen as their leader, these are the mighty Chaos Warriors!

This pack makes the entire Chaos Warrior race from the main game playable in the Grand Campaign and multiplayer matches; as well as adding entirely new Legendary Lords, Lords, Heroes, Units, Magic Items and more.

Three new Legendary Lords.
    Lead the Chaos Warriors as one of three new Legendary Lords, each with their own unique bonuses:

Sigvald the Magnificent:

Beautiful from birth, Sigvald’s fondness for hedonistic excess saw him exiled from his tribe but also gained him a powerful patron: Slaanesh. Now, he heads an army devoted to himself. Slaying anything he deems ugly or unsavoury, he fights as much for his perverse ego as he does for Slaanesh.

Kholek Suneater:

Kholek Suneater is a formidable figure to behold. A gigantic Dragon Ogre, believed by many to be the second eldest of all Dragon Ogres, he towers over the battlefield swinging his gigantic hammer with ease. He is considered by some to be a God.

Archaon the Everchosen:

A former Sigmarite Templar, Archaon stumbled upon an ancient doctrine that contained within the secrets of his faith. Renouncing his allegiance to Sigmar he journeyed north to the dreaded Chaos Wastes to offer his service to the Chaos Gods. Here, the Ruinous Powers gave him their blessing to set out on his quest to become the Everchosen; the Lord of the End Times.

New Horde playstyle
    Introduces Horde-style gameplay to Total War: WARHAMMER, allowing the Chaos Warriors to raze enemy settlements and set up encampments anywhere, taking their war spoils with them. The armies of Chaos rest only when exhaustion halts their marching, leaving nothing but corruption and ash in their wake.
    New units, buildings, items and technologies.
    Unlock new units, buildings and technologies. Seek out the powerful Artefacts of Chaos and become true Herald of the Apocalypse.
    Spread corruption in the name of Chaos!
    The foul energies that drive the Chaos Warriors leave ripples that permeate any place they pass through, influencing the populace. Use this to spread dissent amongst the enemies of Chaos, creating cultist uprisings through the proliferation of dark worship.

Key Units:

Chaos Warriors.

No longer fully human, the Chaos Warriors have been altered to become living weapons, honed perfectly to do their dark masters’ work. Imbued with the strength of chaos, enrobed in dark hell-forged armour, they can best several mortal warriors easily. They have no need for food, drink, sleep or other mortal comforts, subsisting on carnage alone.

Chaos Dragon (Mount).

Once, these great beasts sailed the skies as their brethren still do. Now, corrupted by change, these two-headed dragons are malevolent predators in their own right. One head spews forth dark flame, the other corrosive gas. Only the most powerful can ride such a monster, and even then it is only a temporary alliance, Chaos Dragons can never be tamed.

Forsaken.

Once proud men, their long-standing service to the Chaos Gods has left them altered. Where once they killed in the name of ambition and glory, their mutations have made them something less than human. Now they fight, whirlwinds of flailing flesh, hair and claw, only to satisfy their unending, unnatural hunger.

Dragon Ogres.

These magnificent, terrible beasts are amongst the most ancient and impressive of all living creatures. Their immortality is a gift from the Chaos Gods, given in exchange for an eternity of dark servitude. Seeking out lightning, they swing their gigantic weapons with ease, cleaving all but the most powerful warriors to ribbons.

Gorebeast Chariot.

A massive construction of hell-forged metal, mutant beast and jagged blade, the Gorebeast Chariot is ridden by some of the most powerful Warriors of Chaos and serves a single purpose: to shatter enemy lines with unstoppable force.

Hellcannon

The Hellcannon is a massive artifice of metal and daemonic power that hurls bolts of raw arcane energy across the battlefield, vaporising anything in range. Part war machine, part Daemon, this infernal construct is powered by the liquefied remains of fallen enemies and operated by a sturdy crew of Chaos Dwarfs.

Full Unit Roster:

Legendary Lords:

Archaon the Everchosen – Melee/Caster (Lore of Fire) (Race Leader)
    Prince Sigvald – Melee
    Kholek Suneater – Melee

Lords:

Chaos Sorcerer Lord – Caster (Lore of Death, Metal or Fire)
    Chaos Lord – Melee

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer – Caster (Lore of Death, Metal or Fire)
    Exalted Hero – Melee

Mounts:

Dorghar, Archaon’s War Horse (Archaon only)
    Gorebeast Chariot
    Manticore
    Chaos Dragon
    Chaos Steed
    Chaos Chariot
    Barded Chaos Steed

Melee Infanty:

Chaos Marauders
    Chaos Marauders (Great Weapons)
    Chaos Warriors
    Chaos Warriors (Great Weapons)
    Chaos Warriors (Halberds)
    Chosen
    Chosen (Great Weapons)
    Chosen (Halberds)
    Forsaken

Melee Monstrous Infantry:

Dragon Ogres
    Chaos Spawn
    Chaos Trolls
    Chaos Trolls (Armoured)

Melee War Beasts:

Chaos Warhounds
    Chaos Warhounds (Poison)

Melee Monsters:

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
    Chaos Giant

Melee Cavalry:

Chaos Knights
    Chaos Knights (Lances)

Missile Cavalry:

Marauder Horsemen
    Marauder Horsemen (Throwing Axes)

Vehicles:

Chaos Chariot
    Gorebeast Chariot

Artillery:

Hellcannon

That's a pretty hefty preorder bonus imo

So a Day One DLC which is bull****.

I love Warhammer, i have Pre order so i feel im being blackmailed into getting Pre Order for Chaos which would be one of my favorite factions.

• Advertisement

If ye are preordering anyway you're getting this on top of the vanilla game. Tbh it's over 6 months from release anyway, so hang on til Christmas or January before ye put anything down on it - that preorder will be there until the minute before release anyway and maybe even after that too. Loads of time

All these pre-order bonuses, faction DLC, ect are the norm for the total war games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oh, that's OK then.

Anybody going to splash out for the grudge-bearer edition? Think it works out at close to €170!! Might end up picking mine up in a bricks and mortar shop, wouldnt mind getting the steel case edition. Will have to wait and see the price difference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As much as im looking forward to this not a chance in hell im going to preorder.

I preordered Rome 2 and regretted it. Even though its good now it took a long time to get there. Ill wait a month or two with this one to see how the release pans out before buying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement