Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish summer ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

2012 wasn't great. It was one of those duel mode summers where one minute it was scorching out, the next it was thundering showers. Drove me bloody demented trying to get out for a cycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Cork City has had a truly awful summer-its lashing rain now has been for a few hours and it has been like this for weeks with the odd bit of sun been tarnished by wind ,There hasnt been a day in Cork where youd head to the beach since 2013.When its not raining its dull and grey .

A truly misserable summer.

Just like last year and nearly every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cork City has had a truly awful summer-its lashing rain now has been for a few hours and it has been like this for weeks with the odd bit of sun been tarnished by wind ,There hasnt been a day in Cork where youd head to the beach since 2013.When its not raining its dull and grey .

Seriously? What about last summer?! I remember that being pretty good fur the most part. I always thought Cork got pretty decent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

road_high wrote: »
    Seriously? What about last summer?! I remember that being pretty good fur the most part. I always thought Cork got pretty decent weather.

The south of the country is by far the wettest in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm In Donegal and last year and the year previous were very good summers. This year so far is shaping up to being a real pisser of a summer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The rain that fell today here in Kerry was worse than anything in the winter, it just rained all day almost non-stop, not heavy but continious wetting rain. 2015 is just another typical Irish washout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the summers of 2013 and 2014 were largely very good here, plenty of days above 24C. This summer has been a real mixed bag so far but nowhere as bad as the terrible run of bad summers from 2007 to 2012. May this year was brutal, June was very good with most days dry and exceeding 20C. July has been a mixture of good and bad, we've had a few real nice days this month but most days are just average. Tomorrow looks like the first real stinker of a day.

The weather in ireland is a disgrace what a washout in cork city-football training cancelled due to water logged pitch in bleedin july the other day

Gonzo wrote: »
    the summers of 2013 and 2014 were largely very good here, plenty of days above 24C. This summer has been a real mixed bag so far but nowhere as bad as the terrible run of bad summers from 2007 to 2012. May this year was brutal, June was very good with most days dry and exceeding 20C. July has been a mixture of good and bad, we've had a few real nice days this month but most days are just average. Tomorrow looks like the first real stinker of a day.

well down in cork it was peeing for half the month in june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

well down in cork it was peeing for half the month in june

Rain City, that's why I left and will never go back. Life is too short to be constrained by rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Last year was a great summer!

I don't think this summer has been that bad here in Cork at all - it's been very mild, just not much sun. 2011 and 2012 were actually cold - they were the worst summers I can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The weather in ireland is a disgrace what a washout in cork city-football training cancelled due to water logged pitch in bleedin july the other day

It is not, if "in Ireland" is implying all of it; just the South and the West. I think part of the reason there is so much debate about which was a good/bad summer is down to regional variations from which we try to draw "national" conclusions.

It is obvious that this year the normal East/West variation has become extreme due to the almost constant westerlies.

In a "normal" summer the West and South is dryer, calmer and warmer than it has been the past seven weeks since 1st June.

Equally the weather has unquestionably been much dryer and sunnier than average with near average temperatures along the east coast; so, Dublin and the SE is having a good summer relative to much of the country and relative to the East coast average.

Today is a classic example of a trend we've seen all summer; posters from the south and west complaining of wind, rain and temperatures in the low or mid-teens.

In the Dublin area it is yet another lovely summer day; mainly sunny, breezy and a temperature of over 20C. Pretty much an average day for the Summer 2015 so far.

I'm not claiming it's a better than average summer "in Ireland" - only in part of it.

So don't imply your local terrible summer defines the current "Irish" summer or the Irish climate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think they were a load of bad summers ... but these are the top 10 in that order more or less. I am confining it to the 1985-date period:

10: 1998: Well, not too bad. But VERY COLD. We have to start somewhere.
    9. 1987: Very very wet summer. Some fine days but never got going.
    8. 2009: Very poor and more or less rained every week for June, July and August. The saving grace was that September was lovely that year.
    7. 2007: A very similar situation to 2009.
    6 1988: A very wet and miserable summer that never got going either. Typical 1980s Irish summer.
    5. 2002: Fairly awful summer overall. Lots of rain and some bad thunderstorms thrown in.
    4. 2008: one of three out and out bad summers in a row, 2008 seemed to be the worst of the 3 as not much fine weather came after it either. Similar to 2007 and 2009.
    3. 1986: 2 words: Hurricane Charlie! I remember it as wet, cold and windy most of the time.
    2. 1985: Thunder, lighting, rain and, er, moving statues! A weird and horrible summer of extreme weather and religion.
    1. 1997: The winner goes to 1997's AWFUL wet, thundery, foggy failure of a summer. Apart from 2 weeks, the rest was a pure misery. 5 days nonstop rain (and I MEAN nonstop) included in August. Plus plenty weeks of humid fog, thunder and lightening, and cold. The whole post-summer period was no better (other years at least had a later period of nice weather: 1997 ended in December with hurricane force winds).

I think they were a load of bad summers ... but these are the top 10 in that order more or less. I am confining it to the 1985-date period:

But where are you located? I don't know whether to agree with you or not :)

In this realm (Dub) 1985 was by far the worst and then 2007 I recall regarding as the "worst since 1985".

After 2007 we just got a string of terrible (or mediocre) summers till the siege lifted in 2013.

And it hasn't been bad since, we'll get a good three-in-a-row if the shield stays up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Was 2007 not just píssing down all summer? I blame Rhianna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I have 2007 down as a shocker. I got badly sunburnt the August bank holiday iirc but umbrella was number 1 and it seemed like it was constantly raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭20silkcut

10: 1998: Well, not too bad. But VERY COLD. We have to start somewhere.
    9. 1987: Very very wet summer. Some fine days but never got going.
    8. 2009: Very poor and more or less rained every week for June, July and August. The saving grace was that September was lovely that year.
    7. 2007: A very similar situation to 2009.
    6 1988: A very wet and miserable summer that never got going either. Typical 1980s Irish summer.
    5. 2002: Fairly awful summer overall. Lots of rain and some bad thunderstorms thrown in.
    4. 2008: one of three out and out bad summers in a row, 2008 seemed to be the worst of the 3 as not much fine weather came after it either. Similar to 2007 and 2009.
    3. 1986: 2 words: Hurricane Charlie! I remember it as wet, cold and windy most of the time.
    2. 1985: Thunder, lighting, rain and, er, moving statues! A weird and horrible summer of extreme weather and religion.
    1. 1997: The winner goes to 1997's AWFUL wet, thundery, foggy failure of a summer. Apart from 2 weeks, the rest was a pure misery. 5 days nonstop rain (and I MEAN nonstop) included in August. Plus plenty weeks of humid fog, thunder and lightening, and cold. The whole post-summer period was no better (other years at least had a later period of nice weather: 1997 ended in December with hurricane force winds).

1988 was not a bad summer in my recollection . I remember very warm weather around the time of the Ireland games in the European championships.
    It was the first summer that I experienced real heat after a run of mediocre summers post 1984.

Also again I am confounded that 2012 is not on your list.
    Maybe I am missing something about 2012. To me it was the worst of the worst the last straw, the washout of all washouts cold wet torrential rain all summer long.
    Perhaps it is my location in North Tipp.
    As I do recall most of the weather systems that summer were hitting the south coast first coming up through Cork and Waterford . Maybe further north and west were spared the worst?
    Either way it was an epic bad summer which easily sits at number 1 in my living memory .

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I remember 1988 as been a brillant June and awful July and August. I did my inter cert that year and the weather was warm, sunny and dry. Euro 1988 was on in Germany and I remember watching the Irish games in great weather. At least 1989 made up for it weatherwise. That was a cracker of a summer.

1985/86, 2007/08 and 2012 were the worst summers I can remember for constant wet days. 2009 and 2011 were only a little better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Summer 2015 is getting closer to being the worst summer since 07 here in the South West

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Summer 2015 is getting closer to being the worst summer since 07 here in the South West

What was the weekend like down there kid?

cork is peeing rain every 2 days the days that are not raining are dull windy and the odd time some strange yellow ball is in the sky-pathetic really no wonder we are all cranky gits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

2007. It rained from may to September. Wasn't here in 2008 but heard it was just as bleak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What was the weekend like down there kid?

Friday was misserable, raining all day with no sunshine at all.
    Saturday was worse with some of the heaviest rain ive seen in a long time
    Sunday was beautifull,sunny for most of the day,few showers after tea
    Today was grand untill 10am, its been raining on and off every hour since then.

This 4 day summary could apply to any giving 4 days since june 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Lights needing to be on to make the breakfast as its so dark and grey outside, and stove needing to be lit for an hour in the evening to take the damp chill off the house. Jeekers, but I am finding this summer in general depressing :(. Yesterday, we had everything, mostly a grey pall of ,murky cloud interspersed with mournful drizzle, then a blast of wind that ripped the garden about a bit and made me feel uneasy, then a brief interval of blazing hot sun that had me ripping off the winter clothes I was wearing to cope with the wind and rain, only for the sun to be swallowed up again by that grey duvet that is our usual sky :(
    Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Why is everyone beating up on 1985? It had the best thunderstorm in living memory! :pac:

Why is everyone beating up on 1985? It had the best thunderstorm in living memory! :pac:

It was the other 91 days were the problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

It was the other 91 days were the problem :rolleyes:
    Not at all. It was well worth it! :D

Another miserable day in Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

20silkcut wrote: »
    1988 was not a bad summer in my recollection . I remember very warm weather around the time of the Ireland games in the European championships.
    It was the first summer that I experienced real heat after a run of mediocre summers post 1984.

Also again I am confounded that 2012 is not on your list.
    Maybe I am missing something about 2012. To me it was the worst of the worst the last straw, the washout of all washouts cold wet torrential rain all summer long.
    Perhaps it is my location in North Tipp.
    As I do recall most of the weather systems that summer were hitting the south coast first coming up through Cork and Waterford . Maybe further north and west were spared the worst?
    Either way it was an epic bad summer which easily sits at number 1 in my living memory .

2012 was pretty awful in the period June and July but I recall very nice weather in April and August and September were not bad. 2011 was something similar. 2012 was hardly a great summer but ones like 1997, 1985, 2007, 2008 and 2009 were much worse.

1997 was flat out the worst year weatherwise in general. January was cold, the February to April period was normal, May was good but from June to December, it was awful: 5 days nonstop rain in Clonmel area in August I remember all too well. And violent hurricane force destructive winds on Christmas Eve was the climax of a desperate period of wet and/or windy weather that lasted more or less from August to then.

On the other end of the scale, 2013 and 2014 were lovely summers but we got a 1997-style period of wet and windy weather with violent hurricane force winds from December to February 2013/14 pitched between those 2 exceptional summers. This period of weather along with most of 1997 and the Novemnber/December snow of 2010 was the worst weather in the last 20 years.

Advertisement