Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movie Club #5 - Santa Claus The Movie (1985)

Options
  • 25-06-2015 2:22pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here we go week 5 kicking off a few days later thanks to Posy for looking after the #4 week thread! I'll have to catch up on Willy Wonka and this week's movie over the weekend!

Plot:

This is the story of a master toymaker who discovers a magical kingdom of elves in the North Pole and becomes Santa Claus. But when Santa's eager-to-please elf Patch leaves the North Pole for the big streets of New York City, he becomes mixed up with a dastardly toy tycoon's plans to take over Christmas. And so begins Santa's adventure - to rescue his faithful elf and to save Christmas for all the children of the world!

I'm finding it hard to find where to watch this one, it doesn't seem to be on Netflix, iTunes or Sky on Demand if anyone knows they might let us know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It sure is :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I loved this film when I was a kid! I'm hoping it's not really crap because I remember it being amazing :o

Loughc wrote: »
    It sure is :)

Excellent. I don't think I've seen this one so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

The best Christmas movie for me

• Advertisement

I watched this today (not out enjoying the sun because my husband is on crutches!) and it was my first time seeing it. Surprising really, because it came out the year I was born so surely it would have been on TV when I was growing up.

It's really old-fashioned and I was crying laughing at the overly-dramatic snow storm at the start and how bad the special effect were. :D

Loved that Daisy from Keeping Up Appearances was Mrs Claus. Loved Patch's 'elf' puns. Loved Santa's workshop. It's exactly how I've always imagined it to be! The elves were exactly how they should be too.

Having said all that, it's not a great film. I had no idea where the story was going until Patch met B.Z. That's over an hour into the film! Still though, it was super Christmassy (definitely 5 out of 5 for that!) so I'd give it 3 out of 5 overall.

Really glad I watched it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I finally got around to re-watching this on the weekend, my my, it has not aged well at all, re-watching this was a childhood shattering expierence as I loved it when I was younger.

The acting was cammy, the special effects look awful, but I have to say the set pieces were good.

Although it was still a Christmas Classic, it sadly gets a thumbs down from 2015 me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm so behind....still haven't watched it.....better do it soon - maybe tomorrow night! Then have to skip onto WoOz and Miracle on 34th Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

This movie really brings me back to being a child, snuggled up in front of the fire, all excited for Christmas Eve, if I remember correctly it used to be showed on Christmas Eve.
    I watch this movie now and still love it. I really love the Santa clause in this movie to

It's a film of two halves really. The first part with the origin of Santa isn't bad at all but it just goes downhill when the Patch subplot takes over. Its mediocrity is no surprise given the names behind the film. Producer Ilya Salkind ruined the Superman sequels by inexplicably sacking Richard Donner. The director, Szwarc, had a deeply uninspiring CV with duds like Supergirl and Jaws 2.

Mrs Santa Claus is Onslow's long suffering wife from BBC sitcom Keeping up Appearances. The little girl, played by Carrie Kei Haim, I believe is a trained attorney these days and has posted online about the film and her experience making it.

Yes it has a nostalgic factor but it's a poor film overall.

• Advertisement

I saw that this morning. Very sad indeed.

Advertisement