Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about moving the Dublin Footballers to Ulster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

listermint wrote: »
    Your entire argument is trite.should we move Kilkenny out of Leinster because they are decimating the province ?

It's such an idiotic argument everytime I hear it .you should be extremely embarrassed to even raise it. Extremely.

I don't know anything about hurling so don't feel fit to comment. However I will say that Dublin should be split because of their unfair population advantage, not just because they're dominating Leinster. Even if they were weren't dominating they should still be split in two. Making Leinster more competitive would be a welcome benefit to splitting them though, I agree.

Never forget the analogy I made previously about a team in the premier league having a 10 point advantage. Dublin have an unfair advantage too, even if they haven't taken full advantage of it historically.

You should be extremely embarrassed to not acknowledge that Dublin have an unfair advantage and that they should be split in two. Extremely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

You either have equal population for all or leave the counties as they are.
    You want it both ways to suit an anti dublin agenda.

If we're to have 32 teams drawing from equal population pools then get a demographic map, a few pens and a ruler.

We'll make 32 zones. Each with an equal population. There can be a competition or vote or something within the new areas to come up with names. Name them after Saints or Political figures from history whatever. Or just name them by Grid Reference - A1, C7, E3 etc.

The counties were as is often pointed out a british local govt introduction to ireland.

But maybe you don't like this idea because you like your county. It's tradition. Heritage. Culture and history.

Well so does Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I'd be against the splitting up of Dublin I think if it were to happen it would alter the whole county based ethos of the GAA imo. We'd more likely see smaller counties joining together but that would no doubt be equally fought against.

But one thing I did notice was I looked at the Dublin team that played Kildare and it looks to my untrained eye that most of their squad come from northside clubs. In fact going from this a North Dublin team would probably still be best in Leinster as things stand.

Would this mean that a future North Dublin team would also need splitting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gaffer91 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about hurling so don't feel fit to comment. However I will say that Dublin should be split because of their unfair population advantage, not just because they're dominating Leinster. Even if they were weren't dominating they should still be split in two. Making Leinster more competitive would be a welcome benefit to splitting them though, I agree.

Never forget the analogy I made previously about a team in the premier league having a 10 point advantage. Dublin have an unfair advantage too, even if they haven't taken full advantage of it historically.

You should be extremely embarrassed to not acknowledge that Dublin have an unfair advantage and that they should be split in two. Extremely.

Dublin have a population advantage but not an unfair population advantage. Splitting Dublin or moving them wouldn't make other teams in Leinster better only make the Leinster championship weaker. Other counties in Leinster would still have very little chance of getting an AI. The real aim should be to make other counties stronger as they seem to have gone backwards over the last decade or so. No county in Leinster bar Dublin has a hope of winning an AI anytime soon which wasn't the case years ago when Dublin still had the population advantage. The big question should surely be what are the other counties at and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If we split Dublin in two because of population, we will have to split New York and London into 20 teams, don't think we could hand that number of extra teams in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The population argument is of course total nonsense. We can only have 15 men on the pitch at any time. There is no reason that those 15 should be of a higher standard than the best 15 of any other county. If the population argument was true, Dublin would be winning every All-Ireland and there would be howls of laughter if someone was to suggest that Kilkenny could win a Hurling All-Ireland or Kerry win a football.

Outside of Dublin, the standard of maths is not very good. It is not just the bogus population argument but things like how Dublin's 3 All-Ireland's in 30 years proves an advantage which Kerry's 9 or Kilkenny's 10 in the same period does not. Even if you restrict it to Leinster, Dublin have won 15 Leinsters in the past 30 years, while Kilkenny have won 19 in the same period. Kilkenny and Kerry get plaudits for their success. We get begrudgery.

Dublin are not the problem in Leinster. The other 11 counties are, one of which won't bother their arse to even field a team, even though they've actually got more Leinster football success than some that do field a team. Even if Westmeath pull off a shock next Sunday, they'll still be behind the level of success that the Kilkenny footballers have in Leinster. When the other Leinster counties focus on their own game they will, as they often have in the past, win Leinster. However, if one of them has a massive run of success, you can guarantee there won't be a thread in here asking for them to be split into two or moved out of Leinster or any of that kind of rubbish that we've seen in this and other threads about Dublin.

Opinions win the Dublin argument, but the facts don't. Facts trump opinion in any argument. If you want to have a go at Dublin, by all means do so. Just try bringing a few facts to the table. Whatever you opinion about Dublin is, the facts don't back it up. It would be brilliant if our county had the advantages that the other 31 counties think we have. Unfortunately though, we don't. The facts definitively prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

While I'd agree the problem in Leinster is the traditional rivals like Meath and Offaly not being competitive you're fundamentally wrong about Kilkenny.

Galway and Antrim got moved in to provide extra competition. Obviously hurling is a bit easier to fix because of less counties but something was done about Kilkenny, though Wexford and Offaly haven't stepped up at all.

The suggestion of moving some counties was made before but nobody from say Fermanagh wants to be involved in Connacht, even though that is probably the easiest solution to even the provinces out. Move 2 Leinster counties to Munster and 1 to Connacht, 1 Ulster team to Connacht and there's an even spread of teams.

People are very attached to tribal competitions though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Galway and Antrim got moved in to provide extra competition. Obviously hurling is a bit easier to fix because of less counties but something was done about Kilkenny, though Wexford and Offaly haven't stepped up at all.

I think to be fair Galway and Antrim were moved in to Leinster to provide extra competition for Galway and Antrim not Kilkenny. The Galway Antrim move in hurling isn't remotely like any suggestions in football regards Dublin as there was effectively no competition at all for them in hurling whereas Dublin do have regular competition in Leinster albeit not much in the last decade but that will change as the other counties get their arses in gear. This dominance of Leinster by Dublin is temporary and caused by a few things, the good work done in underage football, a freakish arrival of good footballers at the right time, Meath Kildare Offaly and Wexford going backwards in standards and getting the structures at senior level right. This can't last indefinitely.

Whatever way we change the structures, the same range of teams will end up rising to the surface come the latter stages of the championship. The also-rans will still go out early. What will make the championship more competitive is for individual teams to improve. Putting Galway into Leinster has not improved the quality of Carlow hurling or Louth hurling etc. It has done nothing for Connacht, where the GAA has not even bothered to run a Connacht championship without Galway. Whatever argument for not having a Connacht championship with Galway in it, there is no argument to not have one without Galway. They play an Ulster Hurling championship after all.

The provincial championships should be retained. One of the great things is that when Liam and Sam get handed out in September, several other counties also finish the season with silverware, namely the provincial champions. Have the provincial championships separate then, people say. We already do that in the form of the McKenna Cup, McGrath Cup, O'Byrne Cup and Connacht League and we know what response the counties give to them. It has been so poor that other teams have to be added into them from the academic sector. The provincial championships as an integral part of the All-Ireland championship is a far better system. The counties love it. Players want it. Fans want it. Ask anyone in Killarney yesterday if that match meant nothing. Even in an open draw with no provincials, Kerry v Cork, Galway v Mayo, Dublin v Meath etc. would not have quite the same edge with no silverware on offer.

Kilkenny won their 70th Leinster yesterday. For that reason people say it is pointless. What people forget is that none of the players got a 70th medal yesterday. Some got their first. Those 69 other wins mean nothing to them, but yesterday meant a huge amount. There were no players going up the steps of the Hogan Stand yesterday thinking "Oh no, not again", no matter how many medals they already have. So even the successful counties should not be deprived a chance of winning their province.

It is not just about the All-Ireland medals. Most provincial winners in any year do not get that second medal in September. Provincial championships matter. It is a gem that many other cup competitions in other sports do not have.

Antrim were moved in to make them competitive, bit like Galway to Munster for a while previously.

Galway needed more games but were/are still a top 6 county.

I suppose it killed 2 birds in one stone.

Laois are making good strides, then again so did Dublin in the old system, that will happen regardless of who is in the competition.

Leinster hurling was always Kilkenny and Wexford with a golden generation of Offaly hurlers for a while, a truely remarkable story, but not something that can be relied on long term.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote: »
    Whatever way we change the structures, the same range of teams will end up rising to the surface come the latter stages of the championship. The also-rans will still go out early. What will make the championship more competitive is for individual teams to improve. Putting Galway into Leinster has not improved the quality of Carlow hurling or Louth hurling etc. It has done nothing for Connacht, where the GAA has not even bothered to run a Connacht championship without Galway. Whatever argument for not having a Connacht championship with Galway in it, there is no argument to not have one without Galway. They play an Ulster Hurling championship after all.

I know it's a good bit off topic for this thread but you are right about the Connaught hurling championship, there is no real reason they can't play one without Galway. In fact it would be a good idea to include the non Liam McCarthy hurling teams from Leinster (i.e. Meath, Kildare, Longford etc.) in either the Ulster or Connaught hurling championships, give those teams a chance at provincial silverware. With Galway and Antrim featuring in Leinster the precedent for moving provinces has been set in Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It would be very hard on the ulster fans to travel to croke park for every game.

It would be very hard on the ulster fans to travel to croke park for every game.

OUCH!

Hibbeler wrote: »
    With Galway and Antrim featuring in Leinster the precedent for moving provinces has been set in Hurling.

What a bad and pointless precedent it was, like Galway's previous movement to Munster. It has changed nothing. Galway are now playing teams like Offaly, Laois, Dublin and Kilkenny. Hold on, didn't they used to do that anyway? Yes. Antrim regularly played teams outside of Ulster too. So nothing really changed. It didn't help any of the Connacht, Ulster and the other Leinster Hurling teams. The whole failed experiment should be scrapped and we should go back to where we were, which is where we are anyway, if you see what I mean. Coming back to this topic: The same experiment should not be tried with changing football. Dublin, as a single county, should play in the Leinster Football Championship with the benefit of all the non-existent advantages that people think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Flukey wrote: »
    What a bad and pointless precedent it was, like Galway's previous movement to Munster. It has changed nothing. Galway are now playing teams like Offaly, Laois, Dublin and Kilkenny. Hold on, didn't they used to do that anyway? Yes. Antrim regularly played teams outside of Ulster too. So nothing really changed. It didn't help any of the Connacht, Ulster and the other Leinster Hurling teams. The whole failed experiment should be scrapped and we should go back to where we were, which is where we are anyway, if you see what I mean. Coming back to this topic: The same experiment should not be tried with changing football. Dublin, as a single county, should play in the Leinster Football Championship with the benefit of all the non-existent advantages that people think they have.

Last time I checked it was Kerry dominating football and Kilkenny dominating hurling. Not sure why people think splitting up dublin is worthwhile. In the last 30 years meath have won 4 all irelands , Tyrone and cork have won 3 (just as many as dublin) and we never heard any talk of splitting up these counties. It's just small man syndrome.

The facts in hurling and football show that dublin having a major population doesn't consistantly set it apart from the others. Gaelic sports are more passionately cherished in certain counties and it shows. Kilkenny and Kerry are the benchmark, not Dublin.

What is even more damning for the anti Dublin brigade is that the most recent success has been mainly down to the change of strategy in early 00s. Unlike the rest of the counties wasting their resources and whining about Dublin, Dublin started to utilise it's resources much better and put long term plans in place.

Very true. After all not one single person from Ulster lives outside the province. There is not one individual from the 9 Ulster counties that lives in any of the other 23, in say, places like Dublin. It would clearly be blatantly unfair to ask Ulster people who live in Dublin to have to go to Croke Park for matches. Of course maybe they don't live there. In fact, they couldn't. After all, the entire population of Dublin, all 1 million of them, live in Drumcondra, Clonliffe Road, Jones' Road, the North Circular Road and Ballybough, all within 10 minutes walk of Croke Park. The rest of Dublin is completely deserted. Isn't that true or, shock horror, could it be another one of the complete and utter bits of nonsense that the other 31 counties come up with? Yes, they would have us believe that nobody in the entire country lives outside of the county they are originally from and this is most especially so in Dublin where the entire population lives within those 10 minutes of Croke Park, and not one has ever been at a match outside of Dublin. They have only ever been at a match in Croke Park, which of course means they have never attended a Dublin home game, which of course happen in Parnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hmmm. I don't ever hear of any counties refusing any of the proceeds shared from the bumper crowds at Croker from Dublin games.

I would love to see it put to a vote to all counties to stop these shallow arguments. I loved travelling around Leinster for Dublin games in the 90s and feel that Dublin fans and players are missing out on that great experience.

It's not always an advantage playing at Croke park either. In the bigger games there are seldom much between teams. So often when things were turning against Dublin the Crowd actually put more pressure on Dublin (who folded under the expectation and pressure).

The GAA wants to maximise its revenue and all counties are happy to share the rewards. But sure isn't it more important to attack Dublin as if they make the call and everybody is against it !!! Never let the truth get in the way of a good whine....

Drumpot wrote: »
    I loved travelling around Leinster for Dublin games in the 90s and feel that Dublin fans and players are missing out on that great experience.

Yep, it is terrible how we never have to travel. How disappointing it was when I walked out my door here in Dublin on Saturday last and straight into O'Moore Park which had been teleported to Dublin for the game. It is also disappointing that Semple Stadium will be moved to Dublin next Saturday so that I don't have to travel to it. A bit like when I walked out of my door into it twice in 2001 for the draw and replay against Kerry, which is a bit like how I walked out my door earlier this year and straight into Fitzgerald Stadium to play Kerry there. It really is terrible that like Croke Park and our home ground in Parnell Park, every single GAA ground in the country gets teleported to outside my door.

A bit more seriously, it is always strange that travelling from say Kildare to Croke Park gets moaned about, while say travelling from Waterford to Cusack Park in Ennis, or from Antrim to MacCumhail Park in Ballybofey etc. is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

salmocab wrote: »
    Dublin have a population advantage but not an unfair population advantage.

You have more than the rest of province with 12 teams put together!
    If we split Dublin in two because of population, we will have to split New York and London into 20 teams, don't think we could hand that number of extra teams in the Championship.

They are not in Ireland shouldn't be in the All Ireland championship anyhow. Let the British or Americans make whatever arrangements they wish.

ardmacha wrote: »
    You have more than the rest of province with 12 teams put together!

well 10 other football teams, but that doesn't make it unfair which was my point, I conceded that its an advantage but its not unfair. Dublin has had the biggest population since the start of the AI series. As other people have put it unless we split Ireland into 32 equal sized counties then thats the way it is. For what its worth I think something needs to be done about Leinster but weakening Dublin is not the answer its surely to find a way to make other counties stronger. No other sport would suggest the way to break a dominance of a team is to drag them backwards or shift them out to some other competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some people are going on about splitting dublin in two my answer to that always is: why don't they split the cats in 9 in hurling. There was never a mention of spitting Kerry in two when they were going for the five in a row in the 80s. They had already done a three in a row AI. Dublin are not at that level (yet).

The reality is the provincial system is inequitable. Kerry, Cork, Dublin and Mayo are virtually garunteed at least a quarter final each year.This is especially so with the back door system.

I would love dublin to play all their matches AWAY in Ulster in the likes of Healy Park. It would be great craic. The dubs could bring a bit of glamour to ulster :). Plus even Ulster seems to be losing its competivness these days with Donegal dominating.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Obviously a lot of nonsense has been posted here so won't reply to all of it. The key point is clearly being lost on a lot of people so I'll repeat it again- just because Dublin haven't won the all-Ireland every year doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage.

If a team in the premier league had a ten point head start every year and didn't win the league it doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage, it just means they haven't made good use of it.

Arguments about splitting Kilkenny in two are irrelevant- the crux of it is Dublin's population, not their success levels- they have a population of 1.3 million versus an average of around 200,000. Some poster suggested that it's 15 v 15 on the pitch so this won't matter- if you've a bigger pool to draw from you naturally will end up having better players. Even Cork don't come close. Comparisons with NY, Antrim and London are laughable and aren't even worth commenting on.

Splitting Dublin in two would make it a more level playing field. It would help prevent Dublin unfairly dominating. It would make Leinster more competitive. It's probably the #1 change to Gaelic Football that the GAA top brass could make in terms of overall benefits to the game.

Whats this 10 point head start you have mentioned a couple of times? Comparisons with NY and London are laughable but I think the posters who mentioned it were saying it with tongues firmly in cheeks. Comparisons with Antrim aren't as unfair though, Belfast is a large enough city in a county with a population of 600 odd thousand.
    Splitting Dublin in 2 wouldn't make any team in Leinster any stronger and in fact would weaken the All Ireland as it would take away a potential winner. To be clear a weaker Dublin doesn't give Leitrim a better chance of winning an AI just makes it easier for Kerry Mayo Cork or Donegal and thats not something that would benefit the game overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I tend to tune out when people use premier league analogies to enforce a point about our national games - if ever there was an prime example of the haves and have nots it's that facade of a 20 team competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

1) Don't touch Ulster. It's the only province that's really worth winning at the moment and it's still popular with the support.
    2) If you're going to change Dublin, don't change it for the sake of making them weaker, change it to give more players a chance to play county.
    3) Splitting them in two is the only realistic thing to do but it's still not going to happen.
    4) The population argument isn't a stupid one. Dublin has a massive playing population and so many of them lads have no chance of playing county. Same with Cork though.
    5) Leave them alone though really. Play the provincials separate to the AI and the AI as a stand alone open competition.

Obviously a lot of nonsense has been posted here so won't reply to all of it. The key point is clearly being lost on a lot of people so I'll repeat it again- just because Dublin haven't won the all-Ireland every year doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage.

If a team in the premier league had a ten point head start every year and didn't win the league it doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage, it just means they haven't made good use of it.

Arguments about splitting Kilkenny in two are irrelevant- the crux of it is Dublin's population, not their success levels- they have a population of 1.3 million versus an average of around 200,000. Some poster suggested that it's 15 v 15 on the pitch so this won't matter- if you've a bigger pool to draw from you naturally will end up having better players. Even Cork don't come close. Comparisons with NY, Antrim and London are laughable and aren't even worth commenting on.

Splitting Dublin in two would make it a more level playing field. It would help prevent Dublin unfairly dominating. It would make Leinster more competitive. It's probably the #1 change to Gaelic Football that the GAA top brass could make in terms of overall benefits to the game.

Your post is full of contradictions. You are saying Dublin have an advantage but it is of no advantage to them. You can't have it both ways. No one is going to stand up and say Dublin does not have a bigger population. Of course it does. You then go on to say it is an advantage, yet can show no evidence that it is and basically even admit that it isn't. To say there is an advantage would usually be backed up by some evidence of how that advantage manifests itself. If Dublin aren't getting success out of the their bigger population then they don't have an advantage. Success levels do matter if you are trying to make a case of there being an advantage. If Dublin are getting less success than counties of considerably smaller populations, then having a larger population is clearly no advantage. The great irony of splitting Dublin in two being better for Leinster is that we could end up with many Dublin North v Dublin South Leinster finals, so the end result would be to exclude the other Leinster counties even more. They may get hammered next Sunday, but by there being only one Dublin team in Leinster, Westmeath have been able to get to the final. With only one Dublin team we are always guaranteed a non-Dublin team in it.

Even if we go with your thesis that Dublin do have an unfair advantage (which they clearly don't), if they are not making the most of it then what is the problem? You started by saying there was a lot of nonsense posted here. Stating that Dublin have an advantage that has proved to be of no advantage is one of the best examples of that, as is saying that they should not be allowed to have an advantage that is of no advantage to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is there any where to see the numbers of club players in each county?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayop wrote: »
    Is there any where to see the numbers of club players in each county?

I read before per capita Meath have got more clubs then Dublin. We all know the state Meath football is in at the moment..

It is not just a question of resources it is a question if efficiently managing those resources.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

salmocab wrote: »
    Whats this 10 point head start you have mentioned a couple of times? Comparisons with NY and London are laughable but I think the posters who mentioned it were saying it with tongues firmly in cheeks. Comparisons with Antrim aren't as unfair though, Belfast is a large enough city in a county with a population of 600 odd thousand.
    Splitting Dublin in 2 wouldn't make any team in Leinster any stronger and in fact would weaken the All Ireland as it would take away a potential winner. To be clear a weaker Dublin doesn't give Leitrim a better chance of winning an AI just makes it easier for Kerry Mayo Cork or Donegal and thats not something that would benefit the game overall.

Belfast covers Down as well, many of ye Free Staters don't know that.

• Advertisement

I read before per capita Meath have got more clubs then Dublin. We all know the state Meath football is in at the moment..

It is not just a question of resources it is a question if efficiently managing those resources.

Compare the player numbers of a typical Meath club to a typical Dublin club. It's player numbers that would be a better point to use in any of these arguments rather than how many tiny junior clubs a county has

Advertisement