Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Illustration of the fact that a % of cyclists urgently need basic road use lessons and there needs to be some threat of enforcement!

....and the legions of drivers

......who park on double-yellows (maybe bikes need hazard warning lights)

......use bus lanes

.....block yellow boxes at junctions

.....jump red lights

....accelerate on amber lights

....use their mobile phones

....undertake

....hog middle and outside lanes

do they need lessons to supplement the test they should've passed before driving a motorised vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Some people really need to learn how to cycle and use roads.

I was driving along yesterday and a cyclist on the opposite side of the road decided to suddenly cycle straight across a pedestrian zebra crossing to do a U Turn

He just turned straight across my path, no warnings, no hand signals, no yielding ... Just cycling along one direction and then swoop across a pedestrian crossing!

Then looked angrily at the traffic because people had to slam on!

Because he didn't give the traffic any warning and was moving much faster than a pedestrian he nearly got killed.

Funny the same thing happened me yesterday in Rathmines. I was on a bike. A car passed me, swung into the bike lane just in front of me and then did a u-turn without signalling. I had to slam on my brakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Saw 2 lads pulled over by uniformed guard in unmarked car on Blackrock bypass yesterday evening after they rolled through red light just after the park.

Guard had his notebook out. However his car was illegally parked on the cycle lane with continuous white line forcing me into the traffic..

I didn't point this out but went on my merry way..

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

i have seen paschal o'donoghue with a silhouette of a cyclist using a mobile phone whilst riding a bike - is this now an offence? i didn't see it listed in the list of 7 items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Grand I'm deleting my post sorry for having bothered you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Illustration of the fact that a % of cyclists urgently need basic road use lessons and there needs to be some threat of enforcement!

Jeez, was the fact that some people are idiots in doubt over the previous 27 pages of the thread? Be honest and admit that it was a rant on a cycling forum because you saw a cyclist do something stupid. Do you feel the need to post up examples of poor driving in the motors forum? And as for cyclists needing lessons - well it's clearly worked for drivers so why not :rolleyes:

This thread is about whether a different enforcement method for offences will be more effective than the current methods - your post is just a statement of fact. Do you think a FPN would stop that cyclists behaviour? Was there a Garda present who didn't prosecute but would have issued a FPN if that option was open to him? If you're taking the time to post here, then take the time to construct a reasonable contribution to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

I think we can agree that there are many many idiotic cyclists, just like there are many idiotic drivers of every vehicle. I myself am a cyclist who, by his own admission, cycles around 50% of the time on the foothpaths of this fine city.

I am courteous when I do so however: the path is more the pedestrians than mine. My reason for cycling on the foothpath for my saftety from sleep-driving cars (and the saftety of said sleep-drivers vehicle) cannot transfer into pedestrians feeling unsafe on their own footpath.

I'm yet to be stopped by any member of the force for doing this, even though I've cycled past many contingents of them. I take this as an a-OK; that either they know themselves that the area where I cycle on the foothpath are genuinely dangerous for people on bikes, or that they have seen me manoeuvre through packed-out shop street&Eyre square crowds without ever bumping/inconveniencing/surprising a person&have given me the Freedom Of The Foothpaths (so long as I don't abuse it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Saw 2 lads pulled over by uniformed guard in unmarked car on Blackrock bypass yesterday evening after they rolled through red light just after the park.

Guard had his notebook out. However his car was illegally parked on the cycle lane with continuous white line forcing me into the traffic..

I didn't point this out but went on my merry way..

Probably just as well, you said nothing.
    As far as I can see from the Parking Regulations, Garda cars, Ambulances and Fire Tenders are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Eamonnator wrote: »
    As far as I can see from the Parking Regulations, Garda cars, Ambulances and Fire Tenders are exempt.

Yes. I wasn't prepared to make a fool of myself..

slightly OT but I do notice a lot more cyclists stopping along the bypass in Blackrock since the new infrastructure went in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think we can agree that there are many many idiotic cyclists, just like there are many idiotic drivers of every vehicle. I myself am a cyclist who, by his own admission, cycles around 50% of the time on the foothpaths of this fine city.

I am courteous when I do so however: the path is more the pedestrians than mine. My reason for cycling on the foothpath for my saftety from sleep-driving cars (and the saftety of said sleep-drivers vehicle) cannot transfer into pedestrians feeling unsafe on their own footpath.

I'm yet to be stopped by any member of the force for doing this, even though I've cycled past many contingents of them. I take this as an a-OK; that either they know themselves that the area where I cycle on the foothpath are genuinely dangerous for people on bikes, or that they have seen me manoeuvre through packed-out shop street&Eyre square crowds without ever bumping/inconveniencing/surprising a person&have given me the Freedom Of The Foothpaths (so long as I don't abuse it).

I hope you're having a laugh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

They don't even pay road tax Joe!

Todays letters to the editor in the INDO...
    The best news I ever heard - our Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe says that all cyclists can now cycle on footpaths!
    That means we can now get rid of all the cycle lanes and give the roads back to the motorists who pay road tax.
    John Coleman
    Goatstown, Dublin
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/caricaturing-of-ordinary-greeks-in-the-media-is-not-fair-31348671.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator wrote: »

I was cycling in yesterday and there was a gatso van parked across the cycle path entrance to the r132/m1 underpass heading southbound. unfortunately there was no one around for me to give out to. Early morning lenny can be quite grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Saw 2 lads pulled over by uniformed guard in unmarked car on Blackrock bypass yesterday evening after they rolled through red light just after the park
    Was this a red car by any chance? I saw a cyclist on the N11 between foxrock church going towards whites cross who was stopped. He appearred to have been cycling on the road and was in full gear on a fancy looking road bike. I wondered what it was about. Afterwards as he cycled off he went onto the cycletrack, I wondered if they told him to change onto it. That cycle track is pretty bad, I doubt he wanted to cycle on it.

I also wondered if there are any instances where cyclists are allowed to break lights. e.g. at this spot I have never in my life seen any cyclist on the cycletrack obey these lights.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.274483,-6.176598,3a,75y,109.58h,67.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1_kuVVzHvNxLintw6eJjXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

there are similar lights which are rarely obeyed but they would have pedestrian lights. So if pedestrians are about cyclists do stop but otherwise go through, as they are totally removed from traffic. Or if cyclists are taking off and turning themselves and getting into the cycletrack.

I just noticed on that street view the lights were amber, seems the google van is an amber gambler! if you go back a little its green and he goes right though, as do the car & van behind him who had plenty more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

I hope you're having a laugh...

Completely serious mate. If I'm in the city proper then I will cycle on the roads (footpaths are too congested for me to cycle with the pedestrians safety in mind), shop street&Eyre square being the exceptions. Otherwise, I'm on the foothpaths 24/7 unless there is a cycle lane. I've been nearly ran over too many times by lads just piss-acting on the roads to allow them to have sway over my safety anymore. Better for me to remove myself from the dangerous situation&ensure that I do not cause a seperate one myself.

The other solution would be of course to add cycle lanes to dangerous areas but, seeing as galways newest cycle lane is about200metres long on a 1.5+km dangerous road, I don't see that happening soon.

rubadub wrote: »
    Was this a red car by any chance? I saw a cyclist on the N11 between foxrock church going towards whites cross who was stopped. He appearred to have been cycling on the road and was in full gear on a fancy looking road bike. I wondered what it was about. Afterwards as he cycled off he went onto the cycletrack, I wondered if they told him to change onto it. That cycle track is pretty bad, I doubt he wanted to cycle on it.

In the situation above, where there is no legal requirement to use a cycle lane, but you have been asked/instructed by a member of AGS to use it, what should you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Don't know if this has been posted before
    http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=15488

Glad they have the most important item at the top of the list.
    "
    4(a) No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    "

Anybody know if there is a chart showing "lighting-up" times for Ireland?(Probably need one for East and West Coast)
    Would be handy to have a pocket size version of this to have in the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Friday already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

rubadub wrote: »
    I just noticed on that street view the lights were amber, seems the google van is an amber gambler! if you go back a little its green and he goes right though, as do the car & van behind him who had plenty more time.

ha! Well spotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

4(b) Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration. €40

This looks like a "if I feel like it I can fine them €40" offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

"
    "

Anybody know if there is a chart showing "lighting-up" times for Ireland?(Probably need one for East and West Coast)

It's when it's dark, getting dark. Twilight hours presumably. Common sense should save you carrying a pocket size chart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

diomed wrote: »

Sure there has to be one money making catch all in case cyclists obey all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

diomed wrote: »

I agree, it is the only one I don't fully endorse. There is too much wiggle room in it. I don't use the cycle lane on the N11 between RTÉ and Dublin Bus both directions as its ****e. Could I potentially be fined for this under this rule?

Deedsie wrote: »
    I agree, it is the only one I don't fully endorse. There is too much wiggle room in it. I don't use the cycle lane on the N11 between RTÉ and Dublin Bus both directions as its ****e. Could I potentially be fined for this under this rule?

given there is no legal requirement to use the cycle lane, then probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

"
    "

I actually asked Garda Traffic on twitter as it's the one with the most ambugity. other than the one about due care.
    there response was "Lighting up time varies on time of year. Use common sense BSafe BSeen."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ted1 wrote: »
    I actually asked Garda Traffic on twitter as it's the one with the most ambugity. other than the one about due care.
    there response was "Lighting up time varies on time of year. Use common sense BSafe BSeen."

A pretty reasonable answer, if you can't tell when your lights should be on, then you should either leave them on all the time while cycling or not cycle. No different to driving a motor vehicle.

"lighting-up hours" means the period commencing one half-hour after sunset on any day and expiring one half-hour before sunrise on the next day;

according to irishstatuebook, so I guess you should have your lights on half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise, which are normally available in lots of places, such as http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/ireland/dublin (obviously that is for Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's in the paper every day, or just subtract 30mins from sunrise, add 30mins to sunset for here: http://www.irishtimes.com/weather

Lighting up time is the same across the country, afaik.

What about flashing LED lights. They are on-off-on-off etc. Wasn't there some legislation on their legality as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Good man George :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/george-youre-the-criminal-matt-cooper-slams-newstalks-george-hook-on-ireland-am-31349206.html
    Outspoken Newstalk presenter Hook (72) admitted that the last time he was actually on a bike was "the day John F Kennedy died" in 1963.

"I hate cyclists with a passion... I hate criminals... [cyclists] break the law routinely, they do what the hell they like," he said on Ireland AM this morning.
    "They're a threat to themselves , they're a threat to pedestrians - and ultimately they're a threat to motorcars as motorcars trying to avoid these lunatics will have an accident."

When questioned on his "sweeping generalisation" by the show's presenters Mark Cagney and Sinead Desmond, Hook defended his argument saying the actions of cyclists are "outrageous".

Yet, his Today FM counterpart Matt Cooper (49) took more offence to Hook's "criminals" comments by retorting: "George, you're the criminal. You've a string of road traffic convictions".
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Hooks face was hilarious :mad:

Advertisement