Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Common Note in Trad

• 27-06-2015 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I'm a newb to the trad scene so sorry if this question is daft....

But what is the most common 'sharpened' note played in trad songs?
    I know that a lot of the trad songs are in G or D so that means that F# or C# must be contenders surely?

I suppose it also depends on what key the tune is played in but just wondering is there is distinctive 'trad' note out there in ye're experience? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

That's a very strange question and I'm not sure what you're trying to learn from it. But to answer your question anyway, the single most played sharpened note at an Irish trad session would have to be F#, followed by C# as F# is used in both the key of D and G. You've already pretty much answered your own question as regards the most common keys used.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is there any distinctive 'trad' note out there" as each and every note is distinctive. I'm also confused as to why you'd be concentrating your question around any single note when it takes so many to play a tune. Each one as important as any other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Thanks Blade - yes leave it to me to come up with the daft questions!!!

In my own clumsy way I was thinking along the lines of blues notes and just wondering were there trad equivalents...

Perhaps not :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dughorm wrote: »
    Thanks Blade - yes leave it to me to come up with the daft questions!!!

In my own clumsy way I was thinking along the lines of blues notes and just wondering were there trad equivalents...

Perhaps not :pac:

Are you thinking about backing trad tunes with guitar chords or something? Depends what you're aiming to do, but if you're more specific I'm sure I or someone else here could point you in the right direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Only came across this now so sorry for late post. One thing about Irish music is that it's modal - scales are a bit different in many tunes from classical scales. Don't quite understand it myself, but have a look at this:

http://www.standingstones.com/modeharm.html

Advertisement