Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Attendant Belfast Job

• 26-06-2015 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks

There is a lot of awareness on here of security issues around law enforcement jobs in N.Ireland.

With that in mind can I have some advice please? I have applied for NSL Traffic Warden job in Belfast and was wondering do they have any issues living in Nationalist areas? Is there a PSNI style threat or anything close? One can never be surprised in this place!

Also do they go to work and change or wear uniform to and from work? I live in a Nationalist area and would be somewhat concerned re being seen in uniform.

If I was joining PSNI with the obvious threat and extra pay I would move, this seems more OTT for a Traffic Attendant job. No?

And finally any advice for the recruitment process beyond application stage?

Hopeful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Copper_kettle

Being a traffic attendant would literally be the worst job. The amount of grief you would take on a daily basis would not be worth the paltry pay. And there is nothing you can do about the abuse, just stand there and take it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm taking off the PSNI hat and putting aside the Moderator banhammer® for this one:

Don't do it.

Unless you really need the money, don't do it. The abuse that you get several times a day, every day, is like waking up every morning in Groundhog Day. There are no swear words off limits, and the risk of being seen just once is once too much. It has (in the past) caused conflict in families, ruined friendships, and destroyed relationships.

It doesn't take long before this job affects your psyche too. At least if you're in the PSNI, you're providing a "service" of sorts. A traffic warden does just one thing: Issue fines. It's not a service. It's a very thankless job. You have no discretion once you've printed that ticket, and your very presence is contentious and loathed by every member of society.

Naturally enough, your employer will do the rah-rah about the valuable service you're providing to keep traffic moving, while ensuring parking space is rationed fairly. However, after your initial training, you're deployed to areas where parking is limited, and in high demand. Your job every day is to make people's lives just that little bit worse by issuing a financial penalty that is outrageously disproportionate to the most minor bye-law infraction.

If you think you have impenetrable mind armour, and really want to know what it's like to experience the above, then by all means, fill yer boots. However, be warned that you risk having to give tickets to family, friends, ex-colleagues, etc.

Just my 2¢.

-Shield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hopeful2013

Wow I have to say I am surprised by that reaction from fellow PSNI hopefuls. I would have thought cops take plenty of abuse too, albeit for a starting salary of 19-22k as opposed to 14k.

Defo taking this onboard guys.

Just like a lot of younger people I find it hard to land a permanent full time job and I guess I imagined it was similar in some small ways to PSNI eg law enforcement and not being universally popular.

But this forum has been good source of advice and thanks guys - will have to give this more thought.

And of course as soon as PSNI recruits again I will be submitting application right away like last time! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I completely understand what you're saying, and where you're coming from.

The huge difference between us and traffic wardens is variety. In this job, you never know what your day is going to be, whereas if you become a traffic warden, you just write tickets, write tickets, and when you're all out of tickets, you get new ones, and then... you write more tickets.

Also, in this job, you have discretion. You can pull someone over for a variety of transgressions, and you have the option to either exercise discretion and issue them with advice & guidance only, or you can give them points and a fine.

Unfortunately, no matter what the situation is, once a traffic warden prints out a ticket, they have no way of cancelling it - even if the motorist arrives and drives away. Your job as a traffic warden exists solely as a revenue stream for the Council.

In the PSNI, traffic infractions are just a part of the job. You don't need me to rattle off a list of things we do, but if you think about such a list, you can see there are times when we have made a positive difference, or resolved situations where we get sincerely thanked. Even though it doesn't happen often, it's a shot of adrenaline when it does. It makes you feel good. You go home after shift and give yourself a mental clap on the back.

The job ever so slightly resembles that of a traffic warden, but even at that, there are huge differences. We carry a telescopic baton and standard issue CS incapacitant if we feel threatened. We also have power of arrest that we can exercise on the spot if needed. An assaulted traffic warden has nothing, and most of the time physical assaults occur so fast, they're over before either their supervisor comes to their aid, or police arrive to investigate.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the message.

-Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hopeful2013

Shield wrote: »
    I completely understand what you're saying, and where you're coming from.

The huge difference between us and traffic wardens is variety. In this job, you never know what your day is going to be, whereas if you become a traffic warden, you just write tickets, write tickets, and when you're all out of tickets, you get new ones, and then... you write more tickets.

Also, in this job, you have discretion. You can pull someone over for a variety of transgressions, and you have the option to either exercise discretion and issue them with advice & guidance only, or you can give them points and a fine.

Unfortunately, no matter what the situation is, once a traffic warden prints out a ticket, they have no way of cancelling it - even if the motorist arrives and drives away. Your job as a traffic warden exists solely as a revenue stream for the Council.

In the PSNI, traffic infractions are just a part of the job. You don't need me to rattle off a list of things we do, but if you think about such a list, you can see there are times when we have made a positive difference, or resolved situations where we get sincerely thanked. Even though it doesn't happen often, it's a shot of adrenaline when it does. It makes you feel good. You go home after shift and give yourself a mental clap on the back.

The job ever so slightly resembles that of a traffic warden, but even at that, there are huge differences. We carry a telescopic baton and standard issue CS incapacitant if we feel threatened. We also have power of arrest that we can exercise on the spot if needed. An assaulted traffic warden has nothing, and most of the time physical assaults occur so fast, they're over before either their supervisor comes to their aid, or police arrive to investigate.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the message.

-Shield.

I take it they are assaulted a lot in Belfast in your experience?

As for everything you said, you make very good points mate. And I take it from your comments you are serving PSNI. Wow. You're in my dream job lol. Well done you and thank you for what you do. You're the heroes of this place very often.

God bless and may you have many many years in the service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement