Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

rizzodun wrote: »
    We're coming from two sides of the same coin in that case, because I agree, but even if they hadn't lost their ass on the gamble that was Lissadell Sligo would still be in this mess.

To add to that, Lissadell have opened 8km of biking trails, with a further 12km to come, plans for soccer pitches and a BMX track, proof indeed the council should've stayed well out of something they had no business in, the new owners have been true to their promise of developing the estate.

A "gamble" suggests there was something to be gained. Access rights to a short piece of lane vs. millions of euro of public dept.? Not odds i would have bet at. Against a family of barristers. Should be an inquiry but that would just cost even more and nobody would be found culpable.

The CoC members have paid off their mortgages many years ago or inherited the business from Daddy. Means it's easier to ride out the rough times when you have an established trade and smaller costs. And pat yourself on the back for being so good at businessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

il gatto wrote: »
    A "gamble" suggests there was something to be gained. Access rights to a short piece of lane vs. millions of euro of public dept.? Not odds i would have bet at. Against a family of barristers. Should be an inquiry but that would just cost even more and nobody would be found culpable.

Note that it was the house owners that took the court case, not the council.

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that it was the house owners that took the court case, not the council.

2 barristers challenging an ad hoc by-law opening their private property to the public 24/7? Semantics. They hardly expected the owners to just accept it because they had a quick vote one night. Owners had no choice if they felt they were in the right. Seems the highest court in the land agreed.

Basq wrote: »
    Park Alley (cafe on corner of Cleveragh Retail Park) near Mothercare closed today.

Sad news and now I hear that its other operation,Pepper Alley, has closed as well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Sad news and now I hear that its other operation,Pepper Alley, has closed as well. :(

I used to go there quite a bit, not being there in years though, the coffee wasn't great and the food was a bit tired, the competition got better while they stayed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

very competitive market that and there's new ones opening every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I used to go there quite a bit, not being there in years though, the coffee wasn't great and the food was a bit tired, the competition got better while they stayed the same.

Agreed, I haven't been there for about 5 years. The concept was dated, there are far superior cafes with a wider, more modern offering opened in Sligo in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Agreed, I haven't been there for about 5 years. The concept was dated, there are far superior cafes with a wider, more modern offering opened in Sligo in recent years.

Just a shame theres not many, if any like it open on a sunday morning. Remember having guests round one time looking for the hangover fry up, was very disapointed, after saying how good the breakfast was to find it closed. Shells do an amazing breafast, but bo good when you are probably still over the drink drive limit it go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just a shame theres not many, if any like it open on a sunday morning. Remember having guests round one time looking for the hangover fry up, was very disapointed, after saying how good the breakfast was to find it closed. Shells do an amazing breafast, but bo good when you are probably still over the drink drive limit it go anywhere.

O'Hehirs in Tesco arcade is probably your best bet for a breakfast on a Sunday Morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Slideways

Henlars67 wrote: »
    O'Hehirs in Tesco arcade is probably your best bet for a breakfast on a Sunday Morning

It's been years since I was in there but it was pretty manky grub iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Worst I've seen recently is a "fried breakfast" in Cafe Victor which was nuked in a microwave.. no excuse for that to be fair!

Slideways wrote: »
    It's been years since I was in there but it was pretty manky grub iirc

Haven't set foot in O'Heirs since far superior places opened in town, once upon a time when I was in town on my school lunch it ruled the roost. Bland is the first word that comes to mind imo.

Aye but Sligo is dead on a Sunday, not nearly enough tourists, the locals nursing their hangovers at home. Osta does be open on Sundays, I'd go in there for their pancakes.

Haven't set foot in O'Heirs since far superior places opened in town, once upon a time when I was in town on my school lunch it ruled the roost. Bland is the first word that comes to mind imo.

TBH, I have not bought from O'Heirs since they considered each type of salad an additional topping, and wanted to charge for it in a chicken and ham roll.

Aye but Sligo is dead on a Sunday, not nearly enough tourists, the locals nursing their hangovers at home. Osta does be open on Sundays, I'd go in there for their pancakes.

Shells in Strandhill on a Sunday morning, and Margarets in Finnisklin weekday mornings, are both packed, or at least have a constant flow. I'd imagine somewhere like either would be very popular on a Sunday morning for anyone based in the town looking for the cure, or just to chill out with family/friends over a snack in an unformal setting.

Shells in Strandhill on a Sunday morning, and Margarets in Finnisklin weekday mornings, are both packed, or at least have a constant flow. I'd imagine somewhere like either would be very popular on a Sunday morning for anyone based in the town looking for the cure, or just to chill out with family/friends over a snack in an unformal setting.

That's true but town is always dead on a Sunday, I guess people want to be by the coast or on the outskirts of town, nearer where they live. I'd be more inclined to head out to Strandhill for grub and a walk on the beach than go into town where there's nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That's true but town is always dead on a Sunday, I guess people want to be by the coast or on the outskirts of town, nearer where they live. I'd be more inclined to head out to Strandhill for grub and a walk on the beach than go into town where there's nothing to do.

There's nothing to do in town on a Sunday, so nobody heads in to town, then the shops/cafes stay closed because there's nobody about, so then there's nothing to do on a Sunday, vicious circle.

Not sure how you break that cycle but I wish there was more life in the town on a Sunday, one of the only days I'm free to go into town.

rizzodun wrote: »
    There's nothing to do in town on a Sunday, so nobody heads in to town, then the shops/cafes stay closed because there's nobody about, so then there's nothing to do on a Sunday, vicious circle.

Not sure how you break that cycle but I wish there was more life in the town on a Sunday, one of the only days I'm free to go into town.

Paid parkimg and max stays on a Sunday are also a real deterant. Prehaps if these were relaxed, or done away with altogether on a Sunday, more people would come in, more shops would open, and more cafes and restaurants would cater for them. Also the continued state of O'Connell street probably does no favours at all. We were told it would be done before this years Fladh, and that was before the 2014 one started, and we are still even no way near a start date.

Unfortunately the CoCo, alomg with the CoC, dont seem to have the towns interests at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ooh, do Ósta do pancakes? My son always drags me in to Grappa if I'm in town early with him as he always wants pancakes for breakfast.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Ooh, do Ósta do pancakes? My son always drags me in to Grappa if I'm in town early with him as he always wants pancakes for breakfast.

Yes, they're fab! They have a gluten free option too. I love the greek yogurt with sligo honey and toasted almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

ectoraige wrote: »

Their basic lemon and icing sugar pancakes are to die for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

O'Briens in Wine St Car Park open 11 every Sun - triple decker or triple Irish (bacon, sausage, Ballymaloe) both whopper for a hangover! Great coffee too. Agreed also Osta pancakes yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

See the new Therapie shop opened where the Body Shop was. Sooo bright ☀️☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Sara is having a closing down sale

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Vlove wrote: »

When God closeth one door he openeth a pound store behind another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

If another pound shop opens I will have lost the final bit of hope for this town!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    If another pound shop opens I will have lost the final bit of hope for this town!

How about another hairdressers or cafe? That's all that's open in town these days!

We need a good music store along the lines of a HMV or Liber on a bigger scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wouldn't last three months in the age of digital streaming/downloading. A vinyl record store would have more chance of succeeding.

Vlove wrote: »

Was that not the Pop Up that opened in the Johnsons Court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Who buys CDs nowadays?

Advertisement