Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Agencies! :(

Options
  • 17-06-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just want to know if anyone has ever come across any kind of prejudice from a recruitment agent before and what to do about it?

I work in Hotels as a Concierge and I called a place up as they had an ad up that I wanted to apply to. The guy who answered was nice at first, but I do have quite an unusual voice, being that it is quite high pitched and let's just say ''camp'' if it is the correct term.

They guy, who wasn't Irish told me to not sound ''like a sissy" and that I should "man up" my voice for any potential interviews he could get me.

I don't know if I am thinking too much in to it but I am not changing my accent for anyone.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Well, that was rather rude of him to say that to you. Perhaps phone up and ask to speak to someone else regarding the job, and mention that you were annoyed about the comments made to you by another staff member or even make a complaint.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unacceptable.

You should speak to someone senior, IMHO. How you sound is irrelevant, how you work is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublinandy

I went and met with another agency this morning. I have to say I was petrified that the girl I met would think the same about me but I literally had a great experience. She told me I had a lovely personality and that she would love to be greeted by me when she arrived in my hotel. :-) I don't want to name and shame the agency publicly that I had the bad experience with but they are a new company and won't last long if that is the way they operate. The guy was Russian/Eastern European and it's obvious that he was homophobic. I am sure a lot of people are but surely they can't bring their bias to work!!

Thanks for the help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Dublinandy wrote: »
    The guy was Russian/Eastern European and it's obvious that he was homophobic. I am sure a lot of people are but surely they can't bring their bias to work!!
    !

Make a complaint. Hit 'em where it hurts-in the pocket.
    Those assholes aren't in Russia now. If they plan on running a business here they need to get with the program.
    Fcuking cheek coming here with their prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

they can't bring their bias to work!!

You'd think that but in my experience people generally try and behave any way they want provided they're sure that they'll get away with it.

This extends to their religious views, political views and their miscellaneous prejudices.

I'd complain to his senior manager.

I don't think it's possible to change who he is. It might not even be possible to make sure that he doesn't someone else the same way. But it is possible to make sure that he thinks twice about it!

Glad to hear that you got on so well the second time around. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublinandy

I don't really want to talk to any of them again to be honest. I can't really believe it happened and I was in total shock. I found the guy on LinkedIn and believe it or not I met the guy who I think owns the company out one night and guess what...

He's gay!!!

I actually cant believe it, and he was there because mid conversation the guy who was talking to me asked him a question, and he answered and the guy who basically abused me told me his name!

It's like something from a soap opera. Laughable at this point. Maybe I should name and shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I am sure a lot of people are but surely they can't bring their bias to work!!

!

Everyone does. Whether consciously or not. All of your interactions with others will be affected by various things to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Report your experience to his manager, please don't let this one slide, guy need to be told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Those assholes aren't in Russia now. If they plan on running a business here they need to get with the program.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Actually, it's a potential breech of the Equal Status Act.

If he didn't put you forward for a job on the grounds of your sexual orientation / how he perceived you to be gay, you'd have grounds for a rather more than serious complaint.

See : http://www.ihrec.ie - Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission.

You're covered by :

1. Gender ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment whether you are a man, a woman or a transgender person.

2. Civil Status ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment whether you are single, married, separated, divorced, widowed, in a civil partnership or previously in a civil partnership.

3. Family Status ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment whether you are pregnant, a parent of a child under 18 years, or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability.

4. Sexual Orientation ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment whether you are gay, lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual (straight).

5. Religion ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment no matter what your religious beliefs are or even if you don’t hold any religious beliefs.

6. Age ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment if you are any age over 18. (The age ground only applies to young people under 18 if they hold a driver’s licence and are buying car insurance.

7. Disability ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment if you have a disability, for example, physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional. Disability could also mean that you suffer from a particular medical condition.

8. Race ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment no matter what your race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin is.

9. Traveller community ground
    You are entitled to equal treatment if you are a member of the Traveller community and share the traditions and culture of Travellers in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fight prejudice with prejudice? Yeah, that'll go real far. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

goz83 wrote: »
    Fight prejudice with prejudice? Yeah, that'll go real far. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

The only country in the world where a polular vote legalised SSM, and you suggest we accept the outrageous prejudices of someone from a country where homophobia has been institutionalised and supported by the most powerful people uin that country?
    By the same token, would you like us to welcome an immigrant who insists that a woman must produce 4 witnesses should she wish to succeed in a claim of rape? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by mod to fix quotes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How has he been prejudiced? The lgbt community should just put up with bull**** homophobia after all we fought for just because this guy is from some backward sh!thole?

The only country in the world where a polular vote legalised SSM, and you suggest we accept the outrageous prejudices of someone from a country where homophobia has been institutionalised and supported by the most powerful people uin that country?

Where did I suggest that? You might also note that the OP did not actually say what country the recruitment agent was from. It wouldn't be relevant where he was from as it is only relevant as to how he truly behaved. Or do you tar all people from a certain country with the same brush as a matter of course?
    By the same token, would you like us to welcome an immigrant who insists that a woman must produce 4 witnesses should she wish to succeed in a claim of rape? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

were you expecting an answer to this? How about....should we give electroshock therapy to all Russians, because some of their people are homophobic? Come on lad.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    How has he been prejudiced? The lgbt community should just put up with bull**** homophobia after all we fought for just because this guy is from some backward sh!thole?

Did you really have to ask? From someone who says they've fought prejudice, you seem to have difficulty understanding what it is. Take a look at the post I replied to. If you can't see what I mean, then I really can't explain it to you, other than to say prejudice is not just a sexual preference / gender orientation issue.

Edited by mod to fix quotes!!

Where did I suggest that? You might also note that the OP did not actually say what country the recruitment agent was from. It wouldn't be relevant where he was from as it is only relevant as to how he truly behaved. Or do you tar all people from a certain country with the same brush as a matter of course?

were you expecting an answer to this? How about....should we give electroshock therapy to all Russians, because some of their people are homophobic? Come on lad.

Did you really have to ask? From someone who says they've fought prejudice, you seem to have difficulty understanding what it is. Take a look at the post I replied to. If you can't see what I mean, then I really can't explain it to you, other than to say prejudice is not just a sexual preference / gender orientation issue.

Read it again, fail to see how he's in the wrong for saying the man shouldn't be homophobic. He shouldn't be, if he wants to be then he should go back to Russia. Im perfectly fine with the fact that he's Russian but not the fact that he's homophobic . How that makes me the prejudiced one I don't know.. But anyway

Did you really have to ask? From someone who says they've fought prejudice, you seem to have difficulty understanding what it is. Take a look at the post I replied to. If you can't see what I mean, then I really can't explain it to you, other than to say prejudice is not just a sexual preference / gender orientation issue.[/QUOTE]

You seem so wrapped up in touchy-feely-join-hands-and-sing-kumbaya notions that the oxygen supply to your brain as been compromised.
    Lighten the fcuk up.

wakka12 wrote: »

Read it again, fail to see how he's in the wrong for saying the man shouldn't be homophobic. He shouldn't be, if he wants to be then he should go back to Russia. Im perfectly fine with the fact that he's Russian but not the fact that he's homophobic . How that makes me the prejudiced one I don't know.. But anyway

I didn't think you would spot your own prejudices even if pointed out. There is no FACT that "he's Russian". The OP made an assumption of Eastern European or Russian where abouts. The guy could have been Polish. Hell, he could have been from Belgium for all we know of the OP. Saying something is fact, does not make it so.

You seem so wrapped up in touchy-feely-join-hands-and-sing-kumbaya notions that the oxygen supply to your brain as been compromised.
    Lighten the fcuk up.

Asking me to lighten up when you're being a racist and making assumptions about a persons nationality based on a very, very vague description from a newbie poster? All this while you scream at the top of your lungs that someone is homophobic. Cop the fcuk on! You have no counter argument and you're not big enough to say that you were wrong. Logic and reason are quite clearly lost on you.

I didn't think you would spot your own prejudices even if pointed out. There is no FACT that "he's Russian". The OP made an assumption of Eastern European or Russian where abouts. The guy could have been Polish. Hell, he could have been from Belgium for all we know of the OP. Saying something is fact, does not make it so.

Asking me to lighten up when you're being a racist and making assumptions about a persons nationality based on a very, very vague description from a newbie poster? All this while you scream at the top of your lungs that someone is homophobic. Cop the fcuk on! You have no counter argument and you're not big enough to say that you were wrong. Logic and reason are quite clearly lost on you.

Maybe he's good at guessing accents? Im pretty sure I could tell a Russian accent apart from any other eastern accent, I have family from Moscow and they sound nothing like my Polish or Lithuanian friends to me at least.
    Also I think guessing a persons nationality is hardly racist, is it racist of me to mistakenly assume a kiwi was an australian?

Maybe he's good at guessing accents? Im pretty sure I could tell a Russian accent apart from any other eastern accent, I have family from Moscow and they sound nothing like my Polish or Lithuanian friends to me at least.
    Also I think guessing a persons nationality is hardly racist, is it racist of me to mistakenly assume a kiwi was an australian?

And maybe he isn't good at guessing accents. The FACT is that the OP doesn't know the nationality. It wasn't the OP who was being racist though. He (albeit unnecessarily) mentioned the possible nationality of the agent. The racist comments were the ones that primed the agent to be a Russian and then proceeded to tar all Russians who the homophobic brush. I'm sorry, but if you seriously can't see that, I can't teach you what racism and prejudice is.

It wouldn't be racist to assume that an Australian was any nationality. That would just be a mistake. Often the Irish are mistaken for English abroad. That's not racism, it's just a bit annoying. However, to start saying that (insert nationality here) should go back to their country because they're all homophobic, or, scumbags, or what not, then yes, that is racist. There is a difference between a misunderstanding of nationality and racism. Russians were prejudiced in this thread and all because some keyboard warrior wanted the have his say and misread the OP. This was followed by ignorance and stubbornness. I suspect nothing will change

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Just want to know if anyone has ever come across any kind of prejudice from a recruitment agent before and what to do about it?

I work in Hotels as a Concierge and I called a place up as they had an ad up that I wanted to apply to. The guy who answered was nice at first, but I do have quite an unusual voice, being that it is quite high pitched and let's just say ''camp'' if it is the correct term.

They guy, who wasn't Irish told me to not sound ''like a sissy" and that I should "man up" my voice for any potential interviews he could get me.

I don't know if I am thinking too much in to it but I am not changing my accent for anyone.

Has anyone mentioned it to you before about the tone of your voice? Serious question.

• Advertisement

I welcome anyone coming to live in Ireland-my own father was an immigrant.
    However, you get with the program, and don't bring your prejudices with you.
    It's that goddamned simple. No brainer.

I welcome anyone coming to live in Ireland-my own father was an immigrant.
    However, you get with the program, and don't bring your prejudices with you.
    It's that goddamned simple. No brainer.

touchy-feely-join-hands-and-sing-kumbaya notions and all that.

touchy-feely-join-hands-and-sing-kumbaya notions and all that.

You'll excuse anything. Don't be surprised when you get a boot in the ass for having your head buried in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pride Before Ignorance

Do you have the call recorded? I would just chalk it down to experience if you don't. If you speak with someone higher in the agency and they don't side with you then that's your name blacklisted my friend.

My BF has the same type of voice. He tries hard to sound deeper in situations like this (not ideal). But if it helps you get a job I wouldn't care.

No matter what people say on here, you can't erase the prejudice of ignorant people over night IMHO.

Advertisement