Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to send a desktop to a different country?

Options
  • 17-06-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I hope this is in the right category, anyway, I've decided to hand down my old gaming PC to somebody who is currently in a different country (Netherlands), and I was looking for the cheapest and most reliable method of getting it there?

Can anybody recommend anything?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

I know someone that did this recently, in the end they actually ended up packaging the components separately and shipping it that way.

Certainly not the cheapest option but they felt it was the best way to ensure they arrived safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Had a similar issue a few years ago.

I wanted to gift a PC to a family member living in Leeuwarden, in the end I sold it here and gave them the cash to buy something themselves.

Friend of mine mentioned this company the other day to me though as we were talking about upcoming birthdays and sending gifts over. http://www.ecoparcel.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That looks like a good option. I recently paid An Post 60 effing euro to post a 60 x 60 x 9 cm 4kg package to the south of France. Icould have flown there and back with it for less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Vade wrote: »
    I know someone that did this recently, in the end they actually ended up packaging the components separately and shipping it that way.

Certainly not the cheapest option but they felt it was the best way to ensure they arrived safely.

Despite the expense, this really is the only way to go to avoid damaging components. I sent my old desktop home to my brother via this method last year and there wasn't a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I buy PC's regularly from Europe and send within Ireland/to UK as well, as long as it's packaged properly with foam inserts and some bubble wrap it really shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Only problem could be the CPU heatsink ..... if the package gets seriously jolted then the heatsink retainer could be weakened or broken.
    I would be inclined to package that separately ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LudoFrancis

Only problem could be the CPU heatsink ..... if the package gets seriously jolted then the heatsink retainer could be weakened or broken.
    I would be inclined to package that separately ...

I'm going to remove the cpu heatsink along with the gpu and then send it that way to hopefully prevent damage during transport.

Advertisement