Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Exam

Options
  • 17-06-2015 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I'm not sure on how to phrase this but, I passed all my modules (got mostly in the 50-60 range) except for two modules. One module I failed (23 percent) but I was hoping to pass it via the repeats but the other module I failed by only 3 percent and cannot repeat due to the fact that it is 100 percent continuous asesment. I was thinking of appealing this exam due to the fact its only failed by 3 percent but I'm not too sure I understand the process of appealing? What should I know before I appeal and what are the chances I will progress into the next year if I appeal this exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You can repeat 100% CA's. And if you failed by 3% (e.g 37) you can pass by compensation as you have the marks made up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

No you dont understand, I failed another exam as well which means I can't pass my CA one by compensation. Which means I have to appeal it. Also I can't repeat it according to my head lecturer.

You can pass two subjects by compensation I'm fairly sure if you're on 35% (which rules you out of one) but if you're on 37% you can pass by compensation.

Also there's no module that isn't repeatable. Even if it's 100% CA. They can't force you to come back next year for failing one module without giving you the opportunity to repeat.

Well I've talked to my head lecturer and basically he said I had to either repeat the whole year (just the two I failed) or appeal the CA exam (the one I got 37 in) and repeat the maths exam (that I got 23 in) so I just wanna know how appeals work now and what my chances are of passing the appeal, thanks anyway

I can't speak for engineering or science but I know in Business it's a huge success rate on appeals. These are people who would have failed repeats too (it happens). Obviously you just go in a room with the head of department and a few more and plead your case. I'm not even sure how it would work in this situation tbh.

• Advertisement

Hope the success rate on appeals for science are good as well !

Found out my meeting is next week, anyone have any tips on what to say at the appeal meeting so I pass? :/

All I can say is be prepared to answer as to why your performance slumped in comparison to other subjects, what you will do to better results if you get through and ultimately how it relates to where you want to go in life. I would mention that most appeals happen after two failures whereas you only got one chance.

I know of students with far worse performance than the 50-60 range who got through appeals. Be honest, know what you want to say and hopefully you'll get on OK.

Best of luck with it any ways.

Advertisement