Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movie Club #4 - Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This week 's film is Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Plot:
    Based on Roald Dahl's classic children's book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, a poor boy wins the opportunity to tour the most wonderful chocolate factory of all run by the eccentric Willy Wonka.
    It is not Christmassy at all (although there is a lot of chocolate involved!) but always associated with Christmas by many, as it is traditionally shown at that time of year.

Trailer:

Where to Find it:
    You Tube €2.99
    iTunes HD €3.99

The thread will stay open for a week. Enjoy! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Definitely agree with this. Back in the 80s in two channel land this was firmly a Christmas movie. It was definitely one I looked out for. I remember lying on the floor in front of the TV imagining how cool it would be to own a chocolate factory. I still remember the year back in the 80s that RTE didn't show it as they had implemented a rule that no movie could be shown two years in a row. Poor Arthur Daly was swamped with complaints on mailbag.

As an adult I can say there are better movies and better Christmas movies. The effects aren't that great. The giant hall with the chocolate river isn't that giant. The sweets aren't that exotic any more. But when I hear the opening bars of "Pure Imagination" it brings me right back to the floor of my parents living room in front of a fire with a tree in the corner and a proper selection box in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

This is my favourite film ever! Imaginative, quirky, funny, clever, magical, joyful, highly quotable, gorgeous set design, great songs. Gene Wilder is fantastic as Willy Wonka.
    It's a classic.
    I've had dreams of living in the chocolate room!
    I try to catch it every Christmas but I own several copies of it so I can watch it whenever.
    I watch this film if I ever want to get back to my childhood (if the adult world gets too much).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hey there Wonka fans, do you think we should make a forum outing of this? ;)

http://lighthouse.admit-one.eu/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=19262

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh God, yes!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

This movie used to scare me a bit as a kid. But I love it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    This movie used to scare me a bit as a kid. But I love it now.

I'm not surprised! The creepy guy outside the factory near the beginning and the creepy guy pretending to be Willy Wonka's rival and the boat ride in the factory are all pretty scary!

I haven't watched this film in a long time. I was never a massive fan really. Like Jude13 I was probably scared of it!

It's a great film though. It has a lovely message. Nice to see the horrible children losing and the nice child winning.

Highlights:
    • When the teacher dismisses the class so he can go look for golden tickets
    • The prediction machine refusing to predict where the golden tickets will be found
    • When the woman is reluctant to give up her box of Wonka Bars to save her husband
    • When Grandpa Joe gets out of bed, the lazy git
    • When Veruca is deemed to be a bad egg and falls into the garbage

As kids films go, it's much creepier than anything you see these days. I like that about it.

4 out of 5 for enjoyment and although it's not Christmassy at all, I'd still give it a 3 out of 5 for Christmas feeling because it's just one of those films that you associate with Christmas.

Another great choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I watched this the other day, I had never seen it before......I KNOW!!! There are a lot of movies I haven't seen, you'd be shocked! I enjoyed it,it was good fun! Thought Willy Wonka was a bit scary though, especially at the end when he shouted at Charlie :-(

Overall though it was good, I suppose I'd give it a 4/5 and for christmas feeling (for me) it would be just a 3 because I never watched it when I was younger even though I know most people associate it with Christmas!

Next up - Santa Claus: The Movie!

Advertisement