Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two rent increases

• 16-06-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Long story short, two increases in two years up to 150€ total, for 1 bed apartment in Dublin 2, quite small apartment, somehow claustrophobic unless you live alone.

The increase is roughly a 16% total. 0 improvements in the apartment.

Is it normal for such increases ? considering no salary improvements, water taxes, etc. Seems too much.

Anyone knows what a normal increase in a rent would be or if you can ask for the increase to be justified ? Also, we are really good tenants comparing to the previous wants who left the apartment with loads of filth (even though the Agency clean before we moved in, which is hard to believe)

I understand market can be overrated, but at this rate this increases cannot sustain and definitively they do not lower rent when inflation or prices drop as easy as they increase.

What do people normally do in this circumstances ?

Note is not the landlord directly who contacts but an Agency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If its in line with similar properties in the area, nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It can be increased once every twelve months and must be in line with market rates. Sounds like one of them is illegal. Call threshold for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

athtrasna wrote: »
    It can be increased once every twelve months and must be in line with market rates. Sounds like one of them is illegal. Call threshold for advice

Op says it's been increased twice in two years? Two in two years seems legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I would check the local market going rate, rents in Dublin 2 seem to be hovering between €1,100 to €1,300 monthly. Depending on what your paying now the increase may well reflect the current market.

Personally paying €1,200 pm for rent is a shocker to be honest, If it were me I'd give consideration to cheaper options & moving out of the city centre a little bit and save some money by not paying prime rent and use the money saved towards a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Op says it's been increased twice in two years? Two in two years seems legal?

I read two in sixteen months. Either a typo or I was reading boards too early in the morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    I would check the local market going rate, rents in Dublin 2 seem to be hovering between €1,100 to €1,300 monthly. Depending on what your paying now the increase may well reflect the current market.

Personally paying €1,200 pm for rent is a shocker to be honest, If it were me I'd give consideration to cheaper options & moving out of the city centre a little bit and save some money by not paying prime rent and use the money saved towards a deposit.

You're in for a shock if you think 1200 is bad. Moving a bit out of the city centre won't reduce it, in fact it could increase it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    You're in for a shock if you think 1200 is bad. Moving a bit out of the city centre won't reduce it, in fact it could increase it.

Was just thinking the same, even in North County Dublin rent is shockingly high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

1200 is bad - its possible to get 2 bed places for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

willabur wrote: »

Where? Whats the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Where? Whats the catch?

It's actually a garage with bunk beds :p

• Advertisement

Where? Whats the catch?

I am renting in Chapelizod a large 2 bed apartment with 2 parking spots for 1100. I have viewed several for 1200 in the kilmainham/chapelizod areas. both of which are a short skip into town

No doubt. I also don't doubt they are complete kips.

no, they were not kips at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

I am renting in Chapelizod a large 2 bed apartment with 2 parking spots for 1100. I have viewed several for 1200 in the kilmainham/chapelizod areas. both of which are a short skip into town

I live in kilmainham, i'm paying 1500 for a two bed, anything less was essentially a half a shoe box. when i was looking last October anyway

The average in Dublin is around 1200 as far as I know, so there are obviously properties available for less.

However 1200 is definitely not high.

where I am now is two double rooms with lots of space. One of them is ensuite, there is another substantial bathroom in the hallway along with storage. The kitchen is small but the living room is very large with a decent balcony big enough to have a bbq on one side and 6 people around a table on the other side. Its also south facing over the liffey. We are renting there since last july, renewed this year at the same price.

The only issue is that there is just one parking spot and on street parking is non existant in the area. Luckily enough some of our neighbours don't have cars so we just park the second car in their spot

Sounds like you are fortunate with your landlord. 1100 for that these days sounds cheap.

I haven't been on daft in a year but I find it hard to believe that rent has jumped that much in 12 months. Our limit was 1200 last year and we had to wait until something suitable in the area we liked came up. We saw other places, much nicer than the current spot for 1200. But as you are in the market then you probably have a better gauge of whats going on

Nah I'm not in the market. We've lived in our current place for 2 years. When we moved in rent was 1200, as of this month it's 1550. This is unfortunately in line with the market rate.

just had a look there. Prices have not gone up that much. On average 50 euro perhaps.

Describe your must haves in an apartment?

• Advertisement

just had a look there. Prices have not gone up that much. On average 50 euro perhaps.

Describe your must haves in an apartment?

The statistics and reports suggest otherwise.

In Dublin, the year on year change of Q1 (that is Q1 2015 compared to Q1 2014):

North County - Average 1156, rise of 8.7%
    North City - Average 1293, rise of 9.2%
    West Dublin - Average 1179, rise of 9.5%
    City Centre - Average 1419, rise of 10.1%
    South City - Average 1446, rise of 7.4%
    South County - Average 1528, rise of 6%

yours has risen 13% year on year

The statistics and reports suggest otherwise.

In Dublin, the year on year change of Q1 (that is Q1 2015 compared to Q1 2014):

North County - Average 1156, rise of 8.7%
    North City - Average 1293, rise of 9.2%
    West Dublin - Average 1179, rise of 9.5%
    City Centre - Average 1419, rise of 10.1%
    South City - Average 1446, rise of 7.4%
    South County - Average 1528, rise of 6%

To put this in euro figures, provided my maths isn't wrong:

North County +93
    North City +109
    West Dublin +103
    City Centre +130
    South City +100
    South County +86

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

The average in Dublin is around 1200 as far as I know, so there are obviously properties available for less.

However 1200 is definitely not high.

I don't know if I need to use different methods here in Ireland but when I lived in Sweden we had this rule of thumb that your rent should be roughly 1/3 of your net pay (after tax). So a 1200€ would equal for someone to earn 70k+ which I believe is a bit on the high end here in Ireland unless I'm mistaken?

I was fortunate to move to Ireland back in 2011 and I managed to move into an apartment in Dublin 2 for 650€ and has increased only 50€ in the 4 years I've been living here so I'm feeling fortunate not having to pay almost double what I'm paying now...

That is the "guidance". But rental prices in Dublin just do not allow for that in most cases.

You pay 700 for an entire apartment in Dublin 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I'm in my house for over 4 years now and managed to keep the rent down. Its a lovely very smart 2 bed end of terrace with garage in Drimnagh for €1000pm. No way I could replace it for anything close.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

That is the "guidance". But rental prices in Dublin just do not allow for that in most cases.

You pay 700 for an entire apartment in Dublin 2?

It's a 1 bed apartment near fade street.. I know the rent is low and my breaking point of starting to look for alternatives would be around 1k which even then seems to be hard to find near the area I live in right now where they seem to start at 1.2k, so while that seems to be the average rent for a 1 bed apartment near city centre I still think that's starting to take to big chunk of your disposable income unless your on 78k+ wage (to keep it within 1/3 of income)
    I keep a lookout on daft to see where the prices are headed, unfortunately it looks more grim every month that passes with less available apartments and higher rents.

And to somewhat keep on topic 13% annual rent increases would be hard to catch up with salary increases, something has to budge soon! :)

Remember that most apartments will have multiple incomes. So either you'll be paying a portion of the total rent (in the case of friends living together) or you'll have combined income to meet the various bills (in the case of a couple).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I haven't been on daft in a year but I find it hard to believe that rent has jumped that much in 12 months. Our limit was 1200 last year and we had to wait until something suitable in the area we liked came up. We saw other places, much nicer than the current spot for 1200. But as you are in the market then you probably have a better gauge of whats going on

By your own admission you havent paid attention to this in a year, there have been huge changes and increases in the last year, people have been going mad about it, the month on month changes have shown large increases.
    ceroc81 wrote: »
    I don't know if I need to use different methods here in Ireland but when I lived in Sweden we had this rule of thumb that your rent should be roughly 1/3 of your net pay (after tax). So a 1200€ would equal for someone to earn 70k+ which I believe is a bit on the high end here in Ireland unless I'm mistaken?

I was fortunate to move to Ireland back in 2011 and I managed to move into an apartment in Dublin 2 for 650€ and has increased only 50€ in the 4 years I've been living here so I'm feeling fortunate not having to pay almost double what I'm paying now...

Im not saying this is incorrect, but if only we lived in Sweden, its a free for all here and anyone in power has no handle on whats going on and the problem is it has long been let get out of control.
    Hi there,

Long story short, two increases in two years up to 150€ total, for 1 bed apartment in Dublin 2, quite small apartment, somehow claustrophobic unless you live alone.

The increase is roughly a 16% total. 0 improvements in the apartment.

Is it normal for such increases ? considering no salary improvements, water taxes, etc. Seems too much.

Anyone knows what a normal increase in a rent would be or if you can ask for the increase to be justified ? Also, we are really good tenants comparing to the previous wants who left the apartment with loads of filth (even though the Agency clean before we moved in, which is hard to believe)

I understand market can be overrated, but at this rate this increases cannot sustain and definitively they do not lower rent when inflation or prices drop as easy as they increase.

What do people normally do in this circumstances ?

Note is not the landlord directly who contacts but an Agency.

Can you give your actual rent?
    Originally I calculated using your figures as I thought it said a different percent (13%) and I was coming in at an original figure of 576 rent per month, but at 16% total its coming out completely different.

If your rent was 576 and went up to 725, thats still not good, my other calculated figure was around the 1000 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Advertisement