Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent house music club in Waterford city

• 11-06-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Heading to Waterford this weekend and just wondering if there are any clubs or late bars that have DJs that play good house music? (Ibiza or old school or deep house). Want to avoid the clubs playing pure current chart/hip-hop type music. I read this interesting article about Waterford's scene but not sure if these guys play regular clubs?

http://www.rabble.ie/2014/11/06/scenereport-a-thriving-techno-underground-by-the-suir/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Shorts in John st is your best bet, look them up online to see what's on this weekend.i think they have the disconauts on fri or sat which is one of the few dj's I could listen to:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Dance music in Waterford kind of died a death a few years ago......all the different factions trying to get their foothold on the scene didn't do it any favours either. Every so often there is decent dance nights on and yeah its mostly in Shorts/Crystle. The basement bar in Revolution used to to do em but im not so sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

obezyana wrote: »
    Dance music in Waterford kind of died a death a few years ago......all the different factions trying to get their foothold on the scene didn't do it any favours either. Every so often there is decent dance nights on and yeah its mostly in Shorts/Crystle. The basement bar in Revolution used to to do em but im not so sure if they still do.

I'm a bit past my clubbing days but keep an eye on the goings on in the local scene on FB and live vicariously through others. Republik have been putting on some class looking nights over the past few years, with some huge house names. Others like yachtrock doing a lot locally too.

There has been a few grim years in Waterford but its not too bad at all at the moment it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

KevIRL wrote: »
    I'm a bit past my clubbing days but keep an eye on the goings on in the local scene on FB and live vicariously through others. Republik have been putting on some class looking nights over the past few years, with some huge house names. Others like yachtrock doing a lot locally too.

There has been a few grim years in Waterford but its not too bad at all at the moment it seems

yeah your best bet is keeping an eye on the Republik FB page, the bring over big artists in that music scene. I know the guy who opened Harveys or whatever its called now(or the manager in there I dunno) is a guy that played/worked in Ibiza alot - not been in there but im sure he's brought his Ibiza style in there on some night?

yeah your best bet is keeping an eye on the Republik FB page, the bring over big artists in that music scene. I know the guy who opened Harveys or whatever its called now(or the manager in there I dunno) is a guy that played/worked in Ibiza alot - not been in there but im sure he's brought his Ibiza style in there on some night?

Harveys is closed again and only opened briefly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

thanks guys - just googled and Ripperton is playing in Crystal tomorrow night hosted by Republik so that looks really promising. Will try Shortts too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Get down edits and the disconauts are playing in shortts tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not from Waterford myself and no longer live down there after finishing college, but I highly doubt this is true. Republik have been getting some huge acts playing down in Crystal lately and there are a number of other nights being ran like Estoric, Element and then Get Down Edits regularly run nights in Shortts as well. Some of the biggest names in house/techno have been to Waterford over the past year or so and plenty more to come this summer too.. Definitely hasn't died a death anyway.

Not from Waterford myself and no longer live down there after finishing college, but I highly doubt this is true. Republik have been getting some huge acts playing down in Crystal lately and there are a number of other nights being ran like Estoric, Element and then Get Down Edits regularly run nights in Shortts as well. Some of the biggest names in house/techno have been to Waterford over the past year or so and plenty more to come this summer too.. Definitely hasn't died a death anyway.

Huge acts? Please enlighten me as to who these are and when they have played. How many times are they now on throughout a 2 yr period. The dance scene in WF is no where near the level it was at yrs ago and thats down to finances, the closure of some venues and the infighting between the various factions within the scene in the town. Its not gone completly nor would i suggest it is im merely suggesting it died a death from the level it was at before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Huge acts? Please enlighten me as to who these are and when they have played. How many times are they now on throughout a 2 yr period. The dance scene in WF is no where near the level it was at yrs ago and thats down to finances, the closure of some venues and the infighting between the various factions within the scene in the town. Its not gone completly nor would i suggest it is im merely suggesting it died a death from the level it was at before.

You could be right, I don't know what the scene was like a few years ago. But they have had the likes of Rodhad, Mano le Tough, Dixon, Henrik Schwarz, Ben Klock to name but a few in the past year, they are some of the biggest names in the scene. Republik would get big international DJs in at least twice a month as far as I know. This summer both Dusky and Route 94 are playing in Crystal with Element, who are two of the biggest house acts around and have sold out much bigger venues in Dublin in the past few months. I would have thought the scene is bigger than ever down there in terms of international DJs anyway, but as I said I don't know what it was like a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Don't think it anything like died a death myself, house always been massive in the deep south.was in at get down edits on Saturday night, music was brilliant and it was packed.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Don't think it anything like died a death myself, house always been massive in the deep south.was in at get down edits on Saturday night, music was brilliant and it was packed.

Im still waiting for these big acts to be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

you should re-read it then - all them acts are well known in Ibiza, to get them in Waterford is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you waiting for Guetta and Harris to show up? Thankfully the music scene hasn't gone that bad ;)

Seriously though, Ben Klock is one of the biggest names out there at the moment, anyone who is regularly playing Berghain is big in my books.

you waiting for Guetta and Harris to show up? Thankfully the music scene hasn't gone that bad ;)

Seriously though, Ben Klock is one of the biggest names out there at the moment, anyone who is regularly playing Berghain is big in my books.

Haha em no definitely not. I have memories and experience of bigger acts playing WF more regular maybe 10yrs ago and this what im talking about. Any style of dance not just house.

Edit: just to add i seen Calvin Harris play twice in WF and i was surprised at how good his set was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Haha em no definitely not. I have memories and experience of bigger acts playing WF more regular maybe 10yrs ago and this what im talking about. Any style of dance not just house.

Edit: just to add i seen Calvin Harris play twice in WF and i was surprised at how good his set was.

go back even further and I have memories of The Chemical Brothers, Carl Cox, Leftfield, Prodigy, Thunderdome playing Waterford..good times :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Didn't the guards close down all these public repetitive music events. Thought Waterford was the city where they banned techno?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some of the republik acts since start of 2014

Marcus Worgull, tINI, Tale Of Us, Henrik Schwarz, Ian Pooley Steve Bug Fish Go Deep Kerri Chandler (Official) , Mind Against , Voyeur, mano le tough, Baikal , maeve, with Ben Klock, (Subject) , Lake People , Hot Since 82, Michael mayer, Dixon, Ben UFO, rodhad, ripperton, Lee burridge, job jobse, patlac, Henrik schwarz, Marcus worgull, chymera, ame, DJ tennis, Daniel bortz

Not to everyone's tastes I'm sure but to say dance music has died a death is inaccurate.

They do plenty of residents nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

only seen this now.

typical boards.ie replies in some cases :)

least a few people know what they are talking about though ;)

Hope you had a good night wherever you ended up OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Those who attended House and Techno events in Waterford between 1993 and 1997 might be interested in joining this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/504354476394928/

It will feature many videos, flyers, posters, and mixes relating to events held at the Holy Cross, Cheers, Katie's The Roxy, and The Metroland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Interesting looking at this now...
    Three years on and the main venues for dance music in Waterford seem to be Project and Central Arts

Advertisement