Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland to replace its Emigrants with Immigrants?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

So? After how many generations will they actually become "Irish" to you?

People forget that Ireland took in refugees during the Kosovan crisis (who subsequently returned to Kosovo) and you know what? The country didn't burn down.

The question isn't how many generations will it take for them to become Irish but rather, how many generations will it take before Ireland is no longer Irish?

AS for the Kosovans, a small number came, some left after the war, how many Nigerians, Somalis, Afghans, Syrians ect are likely to actually 'go home'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

conorhal wrote: »
    The question isn't how many generations will it take for them to become Irish but rather, how many generations will it take before Ireland is no longer Irish?
    ...............?

Yeah, just look at the way we've started talking polish.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

As long as it is staggered and the people coming in are integrated well, I don't see there being a problem with this. Ireland is one of the most sparsely populated countries in Europe, surely if there was a proper procedure set up for refugees to come to this country, be looked after short term but eventually work, pay taxes and integrate it would benefit the country long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Grayson wrote: »
    What about our homeless? It's not a one or another decision.

Yes it is. We have a certain amount of money that both you and I pay from our taxes. This helps amongst other things the most vulnerable in our society. The homeless in this country might have once paid taxes or their parents have, they have a right to be looked after first.

We are not a rich nation, we cant afford to look after ourselves without borrowing money, we cant just be throwing it at someone elses problems. 500 people might not seem like a lot, but where you going to put them? We don't even have the housing stock for our own working people. What if they don't speak English? How are they supposed to work here? How will they integrate with the communities they are put in?

Yes you might argue that we are all on this planet together but if I wanted to go to Oz or Canada in the morning, id need to prove my worth and integrate with the local population.

Theres a massive refugee camp down the road from where my parents are from and they are holed away. You cant even drive near the place before security are out to you.

Nodin wrote: »
    Its the second most spoken Language in Ireland according to the last Census

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

conorhal wrote: »

AS for the Kosovans, a small number came, some left after the war, how many Nigerians, Somalis, Afghans, Syrians ect are likely to actually 'go home'?

AFAIK, all of them left after the war. These people have been displaced because of a genuine war and I can't understand why they would want to live in Ireland after the homes they have fled have been made safe again. I have to agree that the asylum process needs to be changed so that applications can be processed quicker and bogus claims thrown out.

Can't Ireland and being Irish evolve? I just spent six months in the country and of all the things I didn't like, I can't honestly count the new diversity as one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

That's a slippery slope argument. I'll agree that there is a limit on what we can take but we're no-where near that. If the government wanted to take 50,000 I'd be protesting. We can't afford that. Even if we could afford that we couldn't integrate that many at once.

500 a year is 20,000 over 40 years. That we can take.

But would you say that if you were on a trolley or waiting 12 hours in a+e like some folks in this country.

But would you say that if you were on a trolley or waiting 12 hours in a+e like some folks in this country.

That has nothing to do with population, homelessness or asylum seekers. Ditto the housing crisis. It's just bad management.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LiamWalsh95

I do part time work at weekends in shop.. Boss man hired a polish immigrant who had little understanding of the language and didn't understand the euro currency.. Only reason he hired him was because of cheap labour. Foreign nationals are more often than not willing to work for less than what us citizens are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nodin wrote: »

It has a better claim to be a second national language than Irish does........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's strange how people who are otherwise charitable can have a double think on issues like this. I was discussing the migrants with my family and they were against us taking them.

Every year my family puts candles in every window of the house on christmas eve. It's supposed to be a welcome for any travellers/homeless people who are wandering with no place to stay. So that unlike Mary and Joseph they will not be turned away everywhere and will have somewhere to stay.

That's what this is. These people need help. What kind of people would we be if we said no.

500 people is nothing. It's hardly compared with barbarian hoards crossing the Rhine or the Rubicon for that matter. We can afford 500. We couldn't afford 500,000 or even 50,000.

(The Rubicon is a false analogy. It refers to Roman troops crossing the Rubicon. The legions were never allowed in Rome itself. They always had to stay on the other side of the Rubicon This was to prevent a general from taking over Rome with his troops. Caesar crossed the Rubicon with his troops when he took over Rome)

And what do we do with these 520 people who probably have little or no English and a poor education?

Just put them on welfare for the rest of their lives?

It just seems to be rewarding people for acting outside the immigration laws of the various countries they will be settled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I'm sure most are genuine. They know how bad the crossing is. They've heard about the deaths. How many people risk their family making that kind of crossing? How desperate would you have to be to bundle your child into one of those overcrowded boats.

The majority are economic migrants.
    Both major studies found that the Africans who get onto the boats are not running from something awful, but running toward a specific, chosen opportunity, in employment or small business.

That’s a big reason that the boat-people flows have gone up and down so dramatically: Dr. de Haas’s studies found that the main driver of cross-Mediterranean migration is not any economic or political factor in Africa but “sustained demand [in Europe] for cheap labour in agriculture, services, and other informal sectors.” Even those who are fleeing – the Syrians, some Eritreans – are choosing where they flee based on a sense of opportunity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/the-real-reasons-why-migrants-risk-everything-for-a-new-life-elsewhere/article24105000/
    Grayson wrote:
    As for people who think we're binging over future terrorists. well that's bollocks. Most of these people are fleeing from places like Syria, Libya and Somalia. They know what the west is like, they want to be here.
    Norwegian authorities have revealed that several Middle East refugees set to be granted asylum in Norway under a UN program have links to the Islamic State and Nusra Front extremist groups, media reported on Monday.

"Unfortunately, there are people who try to exploit and abuse the refugee system. We have uncovered some quota refugees with links to the Nusra Front and the ISIL," police superintendent Svein Erik Molstad said, as quoted by the Dagbladet newspaper.

http://rt.com/news/264021-isis-norway-refugees-un/

ISIS have used the quota resettlement programme to slip into Norway. They got past the UN. Thankfully they didn't get past the Norwegian police. Do you have as much faith in our lads to weed out potential terrorists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

If "we" decide to take these immigrants it would be a Dublin decision in all fairness. So as far as I'm concerned you can keep the sh1t in the septic tank. Thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

cronin_j wrote: »

Its the second most spoken Language in Ireland according to the last Census

And are we, the native born irish, speaking it?

That has nothing to do with population, homelessness or asylum seekers. Ditto the housing crisis. It's just bad management.

Course it does. They both come under expense.

You plan on housing these new arrivals surely, caring for their health, filing their paperwork, educating them, putting some cash in their pockets.

Ask the people already in difficulty in this country how that money should be spent.
    Surely they count for something too.

As for the slippery slope argument about where it stops, well there are problems with that that most people realise. Taking 500 doesn't mean we'll take 50,000. And even if we do, so long as it's staggered, that's ok.

It most certainly will not be ok. Staggered or no.

Where will they work? We already have 400k residents unemployed. People who largely would be a lot more educated than these migrants.

Where will they live? There's not an abundance of viable social housing in the state. We have circa 100k on the housing list and nearly a third of them are non Irish as things stand.

They will require more healthcare than your average Irish resident. The last thing our health service needs is a large number of new patients from the developing world. 100 year old ladies are spending 20 plus hours on trollies. It's a mess and this will only exasperate the problem.

Also, who shall pony up the dough to pay for all this?

Course it does. They both come under expense.

You plan on housing these new arrivals surely, caring for their health, filing their paperwork, educating them, putting some cash in their pockets.

Ask the people already in difficulty in this country how that money should be spent.
    Surely they count for something too.

That's nothing but emotional blackmail. Of course there is a cost, but if the health service insist on overspending on consultant wages, brand name pharmaceuticals etc etc then that is where the fault lies, not with a few extra people who would probably be placed in areas where there isn't a housing or health crisis at the moment. There are always going to be people in difficulty but a few temporary extras will have absolutely no affect on them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The government need to put Us first and foremost.
    We don't need anymore poorly educated economic migrants.
    Fix our problems leave Africa and Libya to its own .
    We've spent how many billions over the last 30 odd years on Africa .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's strange how people who are otherwise charitable can have a double think on issues like this. I was discussing the migrants with my family and they were against us taking them.

Every year my family puts candles in every window of the house on christmas eve. It's supposed to be a welcome for any travellers/homeless people who are wandering with no place to stay. So that unlike Mary and Joseph they will not be turned away everywhere and will have somewhere to stay.

That's what this is. These people need help. What kind of people would we be if we said no.

500 people is nothing. It's hardly compared with barbarian hoards crossing the Rhine or the Rubicon for that matter. We can afford 500. We couldn't afford 500,000 or even 50,000.

(The Rubicon is a false analogy. It refers to Roman troops crossing the Rubicon. The legions were never allowed in Rome itself. They always had to stay on the other side of the Rubicon This was to prevent a general from taking over Rome with his troops. Caesar crossed the Rubicon with his troops when he took over Rome)

I have never believed in this whole thing of the government should be looking after use first blah blah. We are human beings and in our time of need we expected people to come to our aid. We do a disservice to ourselves by seeing things as us against them situation. I just feel that shouldn't we be dealing with the people in those detention centres first before we go bringing 500 other fleeing migrants in? Is it not unfair to allow them in when we haven't even dealt with the people trying to get processed or are these migrants to end up in these detention centres first? We need to have proper measures in place first, or I can tell you we will end up having ghettos similar to France and other places. These people in detention centres want to contribute and want to become part of our community but the way the governments processes them by the time they are cleared they will have very little job prospects not to mention stunted education and moral. You can't just lock people up and give them a meagre amount of money and no motivation. That system needs t be looked at again and overhauled before we can accept more I think.

Can't agree with this enough, in theory I don't disagree with direct provision but the government needs to deal with finding a better and faster way to process asylum claims. Look at the Pamela Izevbekhai case, an absolute joke the amount of times her claim was appealed with no evidence to warrant those appeals.

I just feel that shouldn't we be dealing with the people in those detention centres first before we go bringing 500 other fleeing migrants in? Is it not unfair to allow them in when we haven't even dealt with the people trying to get processed or are these migrants to end up in these detention centres first? 

'Detention centres' that people can leave at any time they so wish. Good one. The state isn't holding them there against their will. The people in the asylum centres have received a decision within six months of lodging their asylum claim. Problem for them is, it's not one that they are happy with so they enter the appeals process. The vast majority of them are bogus. 800 residents are currently fighting their deportation orders in the High Court. Bit rich of them then to complain that they are so long in the system.

• Advertisement

That's nothing but emotional blackmail. Of course there is a cost, but if the health service insist on overspending on consultant wages, brand name pharmaceuticals etc etc then that is where the fault lies, not with a few extra people who would probably be placed in areas where there isn't a housing or health crisis at the moment. There are always going to be people in difficulty but a few temporary extras will have absolutely no affect on them whatsoever.

Yes, emotional blackmail based on objective fact.
    An 11 hour wait might change your thinking.

Yes, emotional blackmail based on objective fact.
    An 11 hour wait might change your thinking.

You seem to have missed the point. They could double or triple the health budget and there would still be a problem with waiting lists. Waste is the issue, not funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Until the Phillipino nurse and Indian doctor find you a bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

What about the homeless in the country?? True they probably are not in mortal danger like those crossing the Med, but these people need our help too..

I have no issue with 500, but I think this is just the beginning. I lived in london, ive seen first hand what happens, integration seems to to be a problem.

We are giving money hand over fist to keep our own citizens in this country. We are paying for a warship that could be keeping our territorial waters safe. They should be towed back to Africa every time to be honest. Let them apply to be a member of our state when they can prove they have something to give and contribute.
    Ah here lads the Eithne is hardly built for war. :D

What about the homeless in the country?? True they probably are not in mortal danger like those crossing the Med, but these people need our help too..

I have no issue with 500, but I think this is just the beginning. I lived in london, ive seen first hand what happens, integration seems to to be a problem.

We are giving money hand over fist to keep our own citizens in this country. We are paying for a warship that could be keeping our territorial waters safe. They should be towed back to Africa every time to be honest. Let them apply to be a member of our state when they can prove they have something to give and contribute.

First of all, homelessness and fleeing migrants are too separate issues that are dealt within our government separately. There will always be homelessness just like there will always be fleeing migrants from war torn, poverty stricken countries. They are, and are treated, like separate issues.

The issue with what has happened in London and England in general is due to poor planning mixed with xenophobia and racism not to mention England's colonial past coming home to roost. When proper measures and planning are not put in place, people while tend to not integrate successfully. England and France need to be looked at for what shouldn't be done. Treating human beings like cattle is disgusting and it is disgusting to suggest sending them back. No one gets on a matchbox of a boat, bribing smugglers knowing they risk death with young children/families if they are not desperate. When Irish people fled to America /Canada/England during the Famine/Troubles/economic downturn, should we have been turned back?

There needs to be communication on both sides and there is much prejudice from this side. It's much easier to integrate as well your skin colour is white too. Again the detention centre system needs to be overhauled because that will cause untold issues in the future. The government seems to be looking at this in the short term and not the long term for issues that might arise which is what caused problems in other countries. Like I said, I think we need to deal with the migrants who are suffering in the detention centres first and then we can deal with new fleeing migrants. These detention centres breed exclusion and us or them mentality in communities.

Until the Phillipino nurse and Indian doctor find you a bed?

If they came here via a boat in the Mediterranean you may have had a point. They didn't. They came via plane and with a valid work visa in their back pocket.

Plenty of legal options available to non EEA citizens wanting to live within the EU and member states welcome millions of them legally each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

One thing that needs to be changed is the appeal process, they should get one appeal and that's it, if they are turned down then they go back to where they came from.

It's a joke that numerous appeals can be lodged at the taxpayers expense just because the asylum seeker doesn't like the decision.

'Detention centres' that people can leave at any time they so wish. Good one. The state isn't holding them there against their will. The people in the asylum centres have received a decision within six months of lodging their asylum claim. Problem for them is, it's not one that they are happy with so they enter the appeals process. The vast majority of them are bogus. 800 residents are currently fighting their deportation orders in the High Court. Bit rich of them then to complain that they are so long in the system.
    Leave, and go where? They hardly wish to return home? Do you think someone would willingly spend more time in an environment like that if they had any other option? Yes, as they are entitled if they feel the decision is unfair. Where do you have proof that the majority of them are bogus. Ireland's track record for letting people through is low, suggesting that many applicants are genuine but are still refused. The system has been criticised heavily many times for being poor and inadequate.
    Ireland’s provisions for asylum seekers have also come under considerable scrutiny. In its 2011 submission to the UN Human Rights Council’s Universal Period Review, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) remarked that despite a diminishing number of people seeking asylum in the country, Ireland’s refugee recognition rate was unusually low. According to the report, “In 2010, the total number of new applications for refugee status amounted to 1,939, which is a significant reduction compared to previous years. The authorities recognized 160 asylum-seekers as refugees and granted subsidiary protection status to two persons in 2010. The recognition rate is particularly low, when compared to other EU member States” (UNHCR 2011).

More recently, in August 2013, the High Court of Northern Ireland ruled that UK immigration authorities could not return a Sudanese family to the Republic of Ireland under Dublin II because the conditions of republic’s “Direct Provision” asylum accommodation system were insufficient to guarantee the best interest of the children. Commenting on the case, the head of the Irish Refugee Council (IRC) stated: “This decision is a sad, but accurate, reflection of a system that is failing to protect the best interests of children. The reality is that asylum seekers can live independent lives in Northern Ireland, while just a few miles over the border they are forced to live in a state of institutionalised poverty. Direct Provision simply is not suitable for families and vulnerable people” (IRC 2013).
    During their stay, which can last several months, asylum seekers are not allowed to work; instead, the Irish government directly provides for their basic needs, which according to one report “means bed and board in hostels and a weekly payment of €19.10 per adult and €9.60 per child” (Thornton 2013a).
    Ireland is notable for its very low refugee recognition rate, which is the lowest in Europe. It has a 1.5 percent acceptance at first instance and 6 percent on appeal. The European Union has an overall rate of 27 percent (Anti Deportation Ireland, 2012).

The low acceptance rate in Ireland has led many observers to question whether there is a “culture of disbelief” amongst authorities in the country (Irish Refugee Council 2012).
    Asylum seekers can be detained under orders of a District Judge for consecutive 21-day “committals,” until their application has been decided. There is no limit to the number of committals, which means asylum seekers can potentially be detained indefinitely (Refugee Act 1996, as amended by the 2003 Immigration Act).

Unauthorized non-nationals are to be detained for a period not exceeding 56 days. However, if they contest removal orders or appeal decisions on their initial challenges, the period of time during which those legal processes are on-going are not counted as part of the eight-week detention limit (Immigration Act 2003, Section 5.2).

Like I said this system needs to change, or we will have serious problems on our hands in future and Ireland's track record is surprisingly shocking. This needs to be changed before we can successfully allowed more fleeing migrants in.

If they came here via a boat in the Mediterranean you may have had a point. They didn't. They came via plane and with a valid work visa in their back pocket.

Plenty of legal options available to non EEA citizens wanting to live within the EU and member states welcome millions of them legally each year.

Yes, and some people do not always have the option due to financial constraints or the ability to actually leave safely if they are living in an unstable war-torn country. It could be somewhat comparable to Irish citizens living illegally in America because they have overstayed a work visa and cannot leave if they ever want to return. The government and people of Ireland are all about appealing for them even though they no idea of what they have been doing in America or of their individual history.

• Advertisement

Yes, and some people do not always have the option due to financial constraints or the ability to actually leave safely if they are living in an unstable war-torn country. It could be somewhat comparable to Irish citizens living illegally in America because they have overstayed a work visa and cannot leave if they ever want to return. The government and people of Ireland are all about appealing for them even though they no idea of what they have been doing in America or of their individual history.

Isn't it just the epitome of hypocrisy?

Advertisement