Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody said they were...

Read post #268. I was trying to help clarify the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Why do I get the feeling they stole my picture from two days ago (the one I nicked from the EIS), neatened it up a bit and stuck it on the article :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

102_7455%20-%20Copy_zpsk8fm3vmi.jpg

102_7467%20-%20Copy_zpspsxgfj3j.jpg

102_7468%20-%20Copy_zpsmveswwsx.jpg

I put up these 3 photos as a marker , because I think that the new by-pass will be built in the distance from where these were taken. ( Pink Rock )

Welcome to correct me if I am wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

Good photo montage of New Bridge can be found in BAMs spring newsletter

http://www.bamcontractors.ie/public/userfiles/files/BAM-World-Spring-2015.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

344094.pngTook a screenshot of montgage.
    I had hoped to take some photos of the site today as I was fishing beside the Barrow Bridge, but didn't have time in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Any word on a bridge toll yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In fairness the south East is going from having some of the worst national roads network in the country to the very best. M9,M11 and N25 all to a high standard soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

bigroad wrote: »
    Any word on a bridge toll yet.

I think I recall it will be a 'shadow toll'...............refer to attached link for explanation.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_toll

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think I recall it will be a 'shadow toll'...............refer to attached link for explanation.........
    The N18 Limerick Bypass and the M3 have those but I wasn't aware N25 was getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

spacetweek wrote: »
    The N18 Limerick Bypass and the M3 have those but I wasn't aware N25 was getting one.

Really? So they've removed the toll gates on those roads and the government just pays based on the vehicle counts?

Makes sense for New Ross I would think - and it would make sense on the N25 TF Meagher bridge in Waterford too - so many people would use that bridge twice a day if they didn't have to pay.

I don't think it is
    http://www.nra.ie/docs/press-releases/N25-New-Ross-Bypass-PPP-Tender-Competition.pdf
    The Authority wishes to invite companies to tender on
    a design, build, finance, operate and maintain basis for
    the N25 New Ross Bypass PPP Scheme. Payments to
    be made by the Public sector to the private sector PPP
    contractor in respect of this PPP Project will be based
    on an availability based payment mechanism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them. The Waterford bypass "toll" is paid for 100% by the government rather than by motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them. The Waterford bypass "toll" is paid for 100% by the government rather than by motorists.

I assume you mean New Ross Bypass Toll, as drivers currently pay to use the Waterford Toll

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bards wrote: »
    I assume you mean New Ross Bypass Toll, as drivers currently pay to use the Waterford Toll

Yeah, getting myself confused. The main point was that N3 and N18 aren't shadow tolls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, getting myself confused. The main point was that N3 and N18 aren't shadow tolls though.

So to summarise, drivers on the N3 and N18 pay tolls and the government make up the shortfall.

On the N25 bridge in Waterford, drivers pay the tolls too - but does the government make up the shortfall?

The New Ross bridge will not feature tolls for drivers, but the government will pay a shadow toll based on "availability". Presumably that means a flat rate unless the bridge is closed from time to time, or else traffic congestion gets really bad (I can't see this happening until they host the ploughing again! :D).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them.
    Sorry, yea - you're right.
    So will N25 New Ross be the only shadow-tolled facility in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fricatus wrote: »
    So to summarise, drivers on the N3 and N18 pay tolls and the government make up the shortfall.

On the N25 bridge in Waterford, drivers pay the tolls too - but does the government make up the shortfall?

The New Ross bridge will not feature tolls for drivers, but the government will pay a shadow toll based on "availability". Presumably that means a flat rate unless the bridge is closed from time to time, or else traffic congestion gets really bad (I can't see this happening until they host the ploughing again! :D).

Yes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry, yea - you're right.
    So will N25 New Ross be the only shadow-tolled facility in the country?
    Isn't the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam shadow tolled too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes

I'm pretty certain the Waterford Bypass was at-risk, only the M3 and N18 were guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain the Waterford Bypass was at-risk, only the M3 and N18 were guaranteed.

Sorry your correct. Got confused in an article about them. The N25 and M6 make up the top 4 loss making roads with each losing around 30 million pa.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Sorry your correct. Got confused in an article about them. The N25 and M6 make up the top 4 loss making roads with each losing around 30 million pa.
    What?? That can't be right. I think you mean 3 million pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What?? That can't be right. I think you mean 3 million pa.

The figure is correct, but it's not an annual loss it's total losses to 2013.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lossmaking-toll-operator-now-targets-offramps-for-charges-29437524.html
    Records from the Companies Registration Office show that the M6 now carries an accumulated loss of some €30m, while accounts filed by Celtic Roads Group (Waterford) Ltd show accumulated losses of €26.3m for 2010 and 2011 for the N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Any news about this project? Any chance for signing contracts soon?

It would be nice if they could start construction this year. Is the path of the roadway fenced off?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sonnyblack

Geogregor wrote: »
    Any news about this project? Any chance for signing contracts soon?

It would be nice if they could start construction this year. Is the path of the roadway fenced off?

I'd say Bam will move seamlessly onto this project after finishing Arklow to Rathnew by the August bank holiday weekend. That's my guess anyway. They are like the Borg with these road projects

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I'd say Bam will move seamlessly onto this project after finishing Arklow to Rathnew by the August bank holiday weekend. That's my guess anyway. They are like the Borg with these road projects

Well, before they move they have to sign contract first.
    Besides, skills and machinery needed for building the big bridge will have to come from somewhere else as there was no similar scale structure on M11 project.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

Geogregor wrote: »
    Besides, skills and machinery needed for building the big bridge will have to come from somewhere else as there was no similar scale structure on M11 project.

There's a few lads on the pink rock side of that bridge who've plenty of ideas about how the bridge should be built. You might as well give them a white hard hat and a clean high viz now because they'll be a permanent presence overseeing the work.

How about contract signing then? Any rumours?

• Advertisement

Report in today's Wexford people that contracts still not signed and the construction will not start until very late 2015, or more likely 2016. They say construction on both projects should be finished by 2018. There is even a chance that the Enniscorthy scheme may start first. I'll link to the article when it is online later this week.

Advertisement