Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Croke Park/Haddington Road hours now for life and not just for FEMPI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

sparkynash wrote: »
    Well like any job if your not happy you know where the door is.Dont stay in a job and moan about it,leave.
    Which would be a completely fair and reasonable point if the job conditions had remained unchanged since we started but for many of us, the job has changed quite considerably since we started doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

There is also a huge problem here and I'm going to have to be sexist for a while. . . . It's this - 75% of teachers are female.

The vast majority of them are only happy to be told what to do and are never prepared to make a stand that will endure.

The INTO are a great example (where the number of female teachers is higher percentage wise) - first out of the traps to recommend the LRA and hence a continuation of Croke Park/Haddington Road.

Mná na hÉireann will ensure that this new agreement is passed. . . Because they literally, in more ways than one, haven't got a pair of balls between them.

See warning below
    MOd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

katydid wrote: »
    I chose to be a teacher and I love teaching. I don't want to leave. I just want to teach, and to engage with my students. Not to attend pointless meetings held as a sop to public opinion, or do mountains of pointless paperwork. When I do extra work I want - call me crazy - to get paid extra for it.

Hardly too much to ask.

I don't think there is a lot of public sympathy for teachers. I have 2 sisters and lots of friends in the profession and I am aware of the stress, difficulty dealing with parents etc. but many people thing that teachers have it pretty good. Two to three months paid holiday. Two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, mid term breaks etc. if you divided your salary by hours worked, even including extra circular activities you might be surprised at how it compares to other proffessions.

Member has been warned..

See Charter.

Mod

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Alex Meier wrote: »
    There is also a huge problem here and I'm going to have to be sexist for a while. . . . It's this - 75% of teachers are female.

The vast majority of them are only happy to be told what to do and are never prepared to make a stand that will endure.

The INTO are a great example (where the number of female teachers is higher percentage wise) - first out of the traps to recommend the LRA and hence a continuation of Croke Park/Haddington Road.

Mná na hÉireann will ensure that this new agreement is passed. . . Because they literally, in more ways than one, haven't got a pair of balls between them.

Ok Folks enough talk of 'growing a pair, cajones, haven't got the balls etc.' it's just lazy stereotyping (and I'm trying to have me tea without the imagery)... Yis'll end up sounding just like the idiot below who said that strikes were happening because of the large number of female teachers in the profession.

351182.jpg
    Eddie on Twitter_ _@brianmlucey Sal 60k @NRD (ASTI TUI) +Pen accurate ref annuities. Not about p.jpg

See charter on stereotyping.

Member has been warned about mentioning 'members'

Do not respond to this post on thread etc...

MoD;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I don't think there is a lot of public sympathy for teachers. I have 2 sisters and lots of friends in the profession and I am aware of the stress, difficulty dealing with parents etc. but many people thing that teachers have it pretty good. Two to three months paid holiday. Two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, mid term breaks etc. if you divided your salary by hours worked, even including extra circular activities you might be surprised at how it compares to other proffessions.

Member has been warned..

See Charter.

Mod

I have no idea why this post came with a warning...

Anyway, you're right. It does compare - if you offset things like holidays against the ability to earn good money in other professions. I've no problem with that.

But when you say divide the salary, you're dividing it a lot more than between class contact hours and extra curricular activities. There's preparation and marking, which adds hours to every working day, and an hour's teaching is a very different matter from an hour's sitting in front of a computer or behind a desk. It is full on performance, crowd control, juggling of the needs and demands of twenty five or thirty individuals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Alex Meier wrote: »

See warning below
    MOd

As a female,I totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

I know what you mean, but those of us who voted against still have to do the detention...

I assume they did seek legal advice on the redundancies. I don't know the ins or the outs of it, but I would feel there was little the courts could have done. They didn't do anything about all the re-deployments that happened.

I do know that the supposed reason for teachers' detention was efficiencies - but it's crystal clear, and should have been from the beginning, that forcing people to such limited, pointless meetings at the end of the school day instead of allowing that time to be used for work already being done, or for CPD was not going to create efficiencies but the opposite. Firstly because nobody can be efficient at half four on a Monday afternoon, and secondly because the limitations on the kind of activities allowed to be carried out meant the fabrication of reasons to have meetings, instead of genuine, productive activity.

You say the teachers could have worked with the parents in terms of cutbacks - possibly, but that's a whole different issue. The issue we are talking about is the reduction in teachers' pay and disimprovement of their working conditions.

The closest analogy to the CP hours that I can think of is the whole class being punished for the bad behaviour of several pupils. Let's say that the class is given a choice between detention and an essay of so many pages. If most of the pupils "choose" detention because they can't face the essay then those pupils who were willing to do the essay instead of detention have to go along with that.

Furthermore, given that all other public-sector workers were given extra hours of work, teachers were never going to get away without doing the extra hours and the extra work couldn't be imposed in exactly the same way because of the nature of primary and secondary education, i.e. the school year and the length of the school day. Counting extra-curricular work for the CP hours wouldn't have been practicable because the fact that extra-work is voluntary means that not all teacher do it (or, in many cases, did it, and I'm not blaming them for dropping it).

The ASTI could have tried framing the threatened redundancies as a cutback - thus getting parents on side.

The closest analogy to the CP hours that I can think of is the whole class being punished for the bad behaviour of several pupils. Let's say that the class is given a choice between detention and an essay of so many pages. If most of the pupils "choose" detention because they can't face the essay then those pupils who were willing to do the essay instead of detention have to go along with that.

Furthermore, given that all other public-sector workers were given extra hours of work, teachers were never going to get away without doing the extra hours and the extra work couldn't be imposed in exactly the same way because of the nature of primary and secondary education, i.e. the school year and the length of the school day. Counting extra-curricular work for the CP hours wouldn't have been practicable because the fact that extra-work is voluntary means that not all teacher do it (or, in many cases, did it, and I'm not blaming them for dropping it).

The ASTI could have tried framing the threatened redundancies as a cutback - thus getting parents on side.
    A. There was no bad behaviour on the part of some of the "class".
    B. It's not the extra hours that are the problem, but the kind of hours. No recognition of work already being done voluntarily or of Code being done in free time. Those hours could have been used for this. And then there's the little matter of being expected to do two hours for nothing which has been paid. So it's THREE extra hours

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tamcp

This may be a little unrelated to this forum, but I was wondering what opinions are on the following topic. I am a Secondary school teacher and was recently told by my school Principal that she would prefer it if I didn't leave the school premises each day to go out for lunch. I go to a local café most days with some colleagues. We are always back in plenty of time for classes, etc. I was a little taken aback at this. I told her I felt she was being unfair as I work through all my 'free' classes and all my marking is up to date. I go home each day to two small children and I don't sit down until 9pm. Some days I actually eat dinner out of a saucepan standing at the cooker!!!!Lunchtime is the one hour (40 minutes to be exact) of the day that I get to sit and eat and not discuss work worries. I prefer to avoid the staffroom as this is ALL they talk about. Perhaps I am being unfair to my Principal but I am really annoyed at her thinking we just 'abandon' the school at 12.30 p.m. I do extra curricular activities on a Monday (which I admit I hate). I do my supervision and substitution AND I take weaker students in one of my free classes each week to give them extra help. What more does she want? With Croke Park hours it really is getting to be very difficult juggling school work with a hectic home life. My Principal is a self-admitted workaholic and a lot of the staff feel they need to echo this mindset by staying until 6/7 pm most evenings. What do people think of this? Thanks!

tamcp wrote: »
    This may be a little unrelated to this forum, but I was wondering what opinions are on the following topic. I am a Secondary school teacher and was recently told by my school Principal that she would prefer it if I didn't leave the school premises each day to go out for lunch. I go to a local café most days with some colleagues. We are always back in plenty of time for classes, etc. I was a little taken aback at this. I told her I felt she was being unfair as I work through all my 'free' classes and all my marking is up to date. I go home each day to two small children and I don't sit down until 9pm. Some days I actually eat dinner out of a saucepan standing at the cooker!!!!Lunchtime is the one hour (40 minutes to be exact) of the day that I get to sit and eat and not discuss work worries. I prefer to avoid the staffroom as this is ALL they talk about. Perhaps I am being unfair to my Principal but I am really annoyed at her thinking we just 'abandon' the school at 12.30 p.m. I do extra curricular activities on a Monday (which I admit I hate). I do my supervision and substitution AND I take weaker students in one of my free classes each week to give them extra help. What more does she want? With Croke Park hours it really is getting to be very difficult juggling school work with a hectic home life. My Principal is a self-admitted workaholic and a lot of the staff feel they need to echo this mindset by staying until 6/7 pm most evenings. What do people think of this? Thanks!
    I'd tell her politely to get stuffed. The day hasn't come yet when we have to be on the premises all day. As for extra curricular activities, you don't have to do them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply. I was so tempted to tell her just that. We have a terrible problem in our school with younger teachers of both sexes behaving like 'Stepford Wives' to the Principal. They follow orders, do extra curricular activities to keep her happy. Our Principal says the sign of a good teacher is one who you have to ask to leave the premises at the end of each day as they've stayed behind so late!!!! To all intents an d purposes this is effectively bullying as I'm sure these teachers have better things to be doing. I'm totally stressed out and I really shouldn't be as our school is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Just say it's your free time and you will use it how you see fit, it's a school the principal is running not a prison !!!! Ridiculous to even ask you this imo

Thanks for that. I'm glad to see people also feel my Principal is out of order.

Thanks for reply. I was so tempted to tell her just that. We have a terrible problem in our school with younger teachers of both sexes behaving like 'Stepford Wives' to the Principal. They follow orders, do extra curricular activities to keep her happy. Our Principal says the sign of a good teacher is one who you have to ask to leave the premises at the end of each day as they've stayed behind so late!!!! To all intents an d purposes this is effectively bullying as I'm sure these teachers have better things to be doing. I'm totally stressed out and I really shouldn't be as our school is quite small.
    I can understand part time teachers who are hoping to get more hours, but if you have a full time job you owe your principal nothing. You already have to do the Teachers' Detention we spoke about earlier. As for extra curricular, in the schools near me, it doesn't happen any more. Teachers have neither the time nor the energy, but most of all, the motivation. You have your own family to think about. Let the parents of your students think about what the government has done to education by bringing things to this pass. Horrible that it has come to this, my Dad was a teacher and spent hours of his own time on his students, he must be turning in his grave to see how people like him have been slapped in the face.

Going back to your original issue, you need that time away from work to have a proper break, in order toclear your head and work properly for the afternoon. If your principal doesn't understand, that's her problem

Thanks again. You're absolutely right. As the TV ad says it really is the little things that help our mental health and that hour each day really helps mine! Your poor Dad would spin in his grave if he saw what teaching has become for teachers.

its just setting things up to fail. I'd trash this out in a staff meeting about being treated as less of a teacher because you have a family.

You're right but I fear only my colleagues who go out for lunch will agree as the others seem happy enough to spend every waking hour working. It really makes us teachers who do go out appear as slack and not interested in the school. I feel we may be facing a losing battle as this Principal is from the Northern system where teachers are expected to stay on the premises and she won't accept the system in the republic. It makes it a very difficult place to work in. Thanks for all the positive responses as my 'lunch' colleagues and I were staring to feel we were the ones in the wrong.

You should tell your Principal to shut up and mind her own business.

I think if it's brought up again by my Principal I'm going to get my union involved. She really needs a wake up call regarding her expectations of staff.

You're right but I fear only my colleagues who go out for lunch will agree as the others seem happy enough to spend every waking hour working. It really makes us teachers who do go out appear as slack and not interested in the school. I feel we may be facing a losing battle as this Principal is from the Northern system where teachers are expected to stay on the premises and she won't accept the system in the republic. It makes it a very difficult place to work in. Thanks for all the positive responses as my 'lunch' colleagues and I were staring to feel we were the ones in the wrong.
    Ah, that explains a lot. I worked three years in the UK, and that's the way it is. She has to realise she's not in the UK anymore. But I suspect you won't be the one pointing it out to her :-)
    Just carry on doing what you're doing, regarding lunchtime. At least you're not on your own. And give serious thought to the whole extra curricular thing. You shouldn't be doing something for nothing if you hate it. Life is too short, and your own children won't be small for ever.
    Anyway, I'm out of the country as soon as my delayed flight is called, without a thought of students or timetables or marking sheets. Enjoy the rest of the holidays

• Advertisement

I think if it's brought up again by my Principal I'm going to get my union involved. She really needs a wake up call regarding her expectations of staff.

Raise it at a staff meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Unfortunately staff meetings are a waste of time as generally what happens is that 'issues' that may be seen as a problem area are left to the very end (aob) or are kicked down the road 'til the next meeting or the meeting is called for a time that staff just haven't the wherewith all to stand up for themselves at the end of nine classes.
    Heard the one about the school that had their Board of Management agenda sent to all the staff and attached with it was the minutes of that actual meeting (that hadn't actually taken place!!!,obviously the latter was sent in error) but at the same time gave an insight into how 'meetings' work,outcomes are decided ,like it or not ,in the way the Principal wants it to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Your principal sounds like a dictator. There is absolutely no obligation on anyone to stay on the school premises during their lunch hour unless they are doing their s&s duties. She obviously hasn't a clue as to how make staff feel appreciated, instead she just wants to squeeze more and more out of people, which in the long run will be counterproductive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

Bottom line, People near retirement who were the union negotiators didn't give a shyte about conditions for teachers that still have years left to do, as long as their own nearly due lump sums and pensions, i.e. their current wages would not be hit, they were quite happy to give away conditions that would never affect them personally, and then persuaded the membership to vote for same. That is and will be the bottom line as well in all future negotiations until the public sector unions are overhauled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

ethical wrote: »
    Unfortunately staff meetings are a waste of time as generally what happens is that 'issues' that may be seen as a problem area are left to the very end (aob) or are kicked down the road 'til the next meeting or the meeting is called for a time that staff just haven't the wherewith all to stand up for themselves at the end of nine classes.
    Heard the one about the school that had their Board of Management agenda sent to all the staff and attached with it was the minutes of that actual meeting (that hadn't actually taken place!!!,obviously the latter was sent in error) but at the same time gave an insight into how 'meetings' work,outcomes are decided ,like it or not ,in the way the Principal wants it to be!

Lol, I've often seen some of them alter the minutes to suit, but actually writing them before the meeting, now that's a classic. Shows you what they really think of you and the meetings.

Darpa wrote: »
    Bottom line, People near retirement who were the union negotiators didn't give a shyte about conditions for teachers that still have years left to do, as long as their own nearly due lump sums and pensions, i.e. their current wages would not be hit, they were quite happy to give away conditions that would never effect them personally, and then persuaded the membership to vote for same. That is and will be the bottom line as well in all future negotiations until the public sector unions are overhauled.

I suppose it starts from the bottom though. It can be as simple as encouraging debate with other staff at work. I think apathy is the real enemy within (mostly brought on by a never-ending stream of new initiatives and increased workload). I think there is a push for elected leaders so who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Staff meetings - what are they? We haven't had a staff meeting in over three years. When we did there was no agenda, no AOB, nothing. My principal has also made some unacceptable demands of staff and there is no forum for discussion of anything. We are told to discuss any issues or concerns on an individual basis.

Thankfully there are still enough permanent senior staff members to resist major policy changes but slowly but surely, as the number of part time teachers without security grows, more and more "initiatives" are introduced, with younger staff too afraid to stand their ground, openly threatened that next years hours depend on participation. Our principal also makes statements like yours tamcp, such as how the non-union members are "great and to be admired".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Darpa wrote: »
    Bottom line, People near retirement who were the union negotiators didn't give a shyte about conditions for teachers that still have years left to do, as long as their own nearly due lump sums and pensions, i.e. their current wages would not be hit, they were quite happy to give away conditions that would never affect them personally, and then persuaded the membership to vote for same. That is and will be the bottom line as well in all future negotiations until the public sector unions are overhauled.

You do realise all those "people" you refer to are the people that spent decades fighting to get the conditions we had up to recently. Had they not fought the good fight for all those years we would be in a much worse off position than we currently are. Maybe it's time for the next lot to stand up and do something instead of just bitching about others.
    Remember the last vote where redundancies were threatened if we did not agree who do you think swung the vote there to lessen our conditions further. It's wasn't the near retirement people they were never going to lose their jobs it was the younger people that wanted to look after their own jobs that got the vote through to reduce our conditions again further.
    So rather than looking to blame others people need to stand up and do something about it.
    Realistically everyone is only out to look after their own piece. Young teachers don't care about any changes to conditions of people that will retire in the next year or so. Those near retirement are not effected by the different salary scales.
    People look after themselves people need to be honest and realise that rather than start to blame each other. Stand up and fight rather than blame others and sit back and moan

A. There was no bad behaviour on the part of some of the "class".
    B. It's not the extra hours that are the problem, but the kind of hours. No recognition of work already being done voluntarily or of Code being done in free time. Those hours could have been used for this. And then there's the little matter of being expected to do two hours for nothing which has been paid. So it's THREE extra hours
    In fairness, some of the behaviour for which pupils have been punished in the past was harmless.

As for no recognition of work already being done by teachers, the following explains that (Post 48 of the following thread):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057369762&page=4
    As far as I am aware, a major issue here was that the JMB pushed for the current format. They did not want nor considered that their members had time to be running around, compiling and tallying individual CPA hours for teaching staff. Consequently, the format of everyone in one room was arrived at.

Sure, it is a pain for teachers and is a waste of time in many cases (most 2 hour meetings with 40 people in a room are). But from the Principals' point of view, their job has become so difficult, so time-consuming and in some cases almost untenable, that this was another task they weren't willing to do. The government (DOE&S) are not going to go against the school managers. Sure then there would be all-out war.

• Advertisement

Staff meetings - what are they? We haven't had a staff meeting in over three years. When we did there was no agenda, no AOB, nothing. My principal has also made some unacceptable demands of staff and there is no forum for discussion of anything. We are told to discuss any issues or concerns on an individual basis.
    What's the problem with that? You can talk to the principal while drinking tea or coffee during the break or during a period in your timetable when you don't have class.

Advertisement