Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to leave EU should Britain exit ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gallag wrote: »
    Haha you are really invested in this! I am correct!! You are wrong! The original EU was never about political union…
    If that’s the case, then why would there be a need to “miss-sell” it to the British people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Haha you are really invested in this! I am correct!!
    Nope, you're just attempting to change the subject still, which was your willful attempt to deceive people with your made up 'facts'. If I'm invested in anything is not allowing you to lie without being called out.
    You are wrong! The original EU was never about political union, it started as an agreement between France and Germany about coal and steel and has evolved over different ammendments.
    And there we have another lie by you. It's been pointed out several times that the European Coal and Steel Community specifically cited "a first step in the federation of Europe" from the very start.

Why are you purposely ignoring this? Honestly, it's there in black and white - how do you manage to filter it out with a straight face, or is it just dishonesty?
    At the very least you seem to agree with me that it certainly has been missold to the British!
    By themselves, not by anyone else. I'm glad you're keeping this tradition for self deception alive and well.

You can put your fingers in your ears and hum loudly, pretending that the EU was not clearly set up from the onset to be far more than a common market, but those are the facts and those facts are what the casual reader will decide upon, not your rather transparent and empty denials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

djpbarry wrote: »
    You’re linking to blogs and Daily Mail articles – those are not “facts”.
    How many left?

And the economist, financial times etc but don't let that get in the way of a good story!

Nope, you're just attempting to change the subject still, which was your willful attempt to deceive people with your made up 'facts'. If I'm invested in anything is not allowing you to lie without being called out.

And there we have another lie by you. It's been pointed out several times that the European Coal and Steel Community specifically cited "a first step in the federation of Europe" from the very start.

Why are you purposely ignoring this? Honestly, it's there in black and white - how do you manage to filter it out with a straight face, or is it just dishonesty?

By themselves, not by anyone else. I'm glad you're keeping this tradition for self deception alive and well.

You can put your fingers in your ears and hum loudly, pretending that the EU was not clearly set up from the onset to be far more than a common market, but those are the facts and those facts are what the casual reader will decide upon, not your rather transparent and empty denials.

We shall agree to disagree!

We shall agree to disagree!
    Sure, I'l stick to the facts and you can disagree with even acknowledging any facts and stay in that happy place of yours in your head.

But I'll still continue to point out whenever you're telling porkies or fantasy island 'facts'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Hopefully the Uk decides to leave the E.U. I feel that if they leave there will be a domino effect which would be music to my ears. There is no point in Irish people voting really because all the parties will just bow down to the E.U and do as they are told which is a shame. Irish decisions are made in Brussels not in Dublin and fundamental I believe that the people we vote for should make 100 % of decisions on behalf of the Irish people clearly no one agrees with that statement in Ireland, I must be alone but I will be investing in the UK eu referendum as I feel if they leave we could leave too. The EU has gone out of control and they are controlling everything and with us being such a small country our voice isn't heard and isn't cared about. Like the Soviet Union it eventually fell and similarly the E.U will fall all big unions between countries eventually fall and the E.U will fall soon but how soon is the question. 2017 might be the year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

hman231 wrote: »
    Irish decisions are made in Brussels not in Dublin

We wish!

If our banks had been regulated by Europe, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Clearly both Ireland and Europe didn't monitor anything looking at Spain,Greece,Portugal Etc. Europe is in charge and did nothing both europe and Ireland did nothing. There is many different people to blame for what happened. But I would mainly blame Fine Fail, they are a public embarrassment and sadly the biggest party in this country over the course of history but the public have learnt a lesson after what happened and voted Fine gael in who are a LOT better than Fine Fail. And I feel that Fine Gael are here to stay in power as the youth certainly wont be voting Fine Fail. A Fine Gael led Ireland not in the EU would be a great sight. Irish people should make decisions on behalf of Ireland in my opinion. Clearly the majority of Irish people are pro EU but I do feel that if the UK votes out then Ireland will be out within a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Clearly both Ireland and Europe didn't monitor anything looking at Spain,Greece,Portugal Etc. Europe is in charge and did nothing both europe and Ireland did nothing. There is many different people to blame for what happened. But I would mainly blame Fine Fail, they are a public embarrassment and sadly the biggest party in this country over the course of history but the public have learnt a lesson after what happened and voted Fine gael in who are a LOT better than Fine Fail. And I feel that Fine Gael are here to stay in power as the youth certainly wont be voting Fine Fail. A Fine Gael led Ireland not in the EU would be a great sight. Irish people should make decisions on behalf of Ireland in my opinion. Clearly the majority of Irish people are pro EU but I do feel that if the UK votes out then Ireland will be out within a few years

And neither did the US monitor Lehmans and the rest. And neither did the UK government monitor RBS etc etc. I'm not really sure what your point is here TBH. The EU had considerably less responsibility then either the US or UK Governments for the mess of global deregulation.

If you are fond of the notion that Irish People were somehow independent before the EU (when in actual fact we were within the UK sphere of economic domination including the punt pinned to Sterling) this is simply factually untrue. Luckily the Irish electorate and Politicians don't base their decisions on xenophobic "feelings" but on the actual fact that being part of the EU gives the Irish People more say in their destiny then we had in the past 800 years.

micosoft wrote: »
    And neither did the US monitor Lehmans and the rest. And neither did the UK government monitor RBS etc etc. I'm not really sure what your point is here TBH. The EU had considerably less responsibility then either the US or UK Governments for the mess of global deregulation.

If you are fond of the notion that Irish People were somehow independent before the EU (when in actual fact we were within the UK sphere of economic domination including the punt pinned to Sterling) this is simply factually untrue. Luckily the Irish electorate and Politicians don't base their decisions on xenophobic "feelings" but on the actual fact that being part of the EU gives the Irish People more say in their destiny then we had in the past 800 years.

Agree, yous even get say in your destiny several times if need be!

• Advertisement

Look at it this way the two richest countries in europe are Norway and Switzerland both not in the E.U. No more needs to be said and look at Australia thats the type of system Ireland should be aiming for. Like if you look at Switzerland and see the huge impact not being in the E.U has had on them on paper you would be out canvasing now for us to leave. Too many Irish people just don't have a clue just politically correct europeans and nothing different look at the facts, if we left the E.U and had Fine Gael in power what we could do is amazing and I hope the people of the UK acknowledge that they could be far better off without listening to Brussels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Haha you are really invested in this! I am correct!! You are wrong! The original EU was never about political union, it started as an agreement between France and Germany about coal and steel and has evolved over different ammendments. At the very least you seem to agree with me that it certainly has been missold to the British!

The original EU never for saw the dissolution of the Soviet Union. A less aggressive Soviet administration yes but an actual redrawing of the map to the extent that was witnessed in 1991 was never taken into account when the founders Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg first began this voyage into a new world where enemies became companions.

If you don't vote the way europe wants you too. You'll be voting again. They gave us a slap on the wrist for voting against them. To hear my fellow Irish citizens defend them offends me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

If you don't vote the way europe wants you too. You'll be voting again. They gave us a slap on the wrist for voting against them. To hear my fellow Irish citizens defend them offends me

You think Europe is a monolithic entity when it is not. The EU consists of 28 nations each having their own opinions and different ways of doing things. Bulgaria and Greece are located right next to Turkey a Muslim majority country. Russian speaking peoples are located across Europe including Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania each are € members. Britain has devolved parliaments in Belfast and Edinburgh. The parliament of Europe represents people from Nations that don't even exist Catalonia, Flanders and Kosovo. Irish citizens share European citizenship so your ignorance of not knowing any of this shows us your lack of attention when it comes to issues that directly affect this country.

Your statement makes no sense. The two ritches countries in europe where their youth have the best chance in life are not in the E.U. The E.U must be stopped. The Swiss and Norwegians are laughing at us and they will never ever go into the eu after seeing what it is doing to their neighboring countries. as i have said before the irish public are quiet thick and just dont understand simple logic. The eu is creating laziness among-st the Irish youth. I want the best for my country thats why in anti eu

Untrue. The democratically elected Government of Ireland decided to re-hold the election after negotiated further concessions from our EU partners. No slap on the wrist - merely asking us what concessions we wanted and offering them to us.

Your statement makes no sense. The two ritches countries in europe where their youth have the best chance in life are not in the E.U. The E.U must be stopped. The Swiss and Norwegians are laughing at us and they will never ever go into the eu after seeing what it is doing to their neighboring countries. as i have said before the irish public are quiet thick and just dont understand simple logic. The eu is creating laziness among-st the Irish youth. I want the best for my country thats why in anti eu

Well given your inability to spell I find it odd you call the Irish "thick". I'm guessing you aren't actually Irish either by your non-native use of grammar and your insulting attitude towards the Irish Peoples democratic choice to be part of the EU.

I doubt the Norwegians or Swiss are laughing at the fact they have to implement every EU directive and have to contribute significant amounts of money (in the billions) to the EU budget every year without any say. But then I don't believe logic plays any part in your anti EU diatribe....

Sure. It's called a constitutional democracy with a representative parliament. Problem?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Euroskeptic logic: voting more often is less democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ReverendoGreen

If we leave the EU we'll have very little chance of evolving into "the best small country in the world in which to do business".

Not that theres much chance of that anyway, moving >>>>>>>forward>>>>> (Biffo Cowen speak)

• Advertisement

Your statement makes no sense. The two ritches countries in europe where their youth have the best chance in life are not in the E.U. The E.U must be stopped. The Swiss and Norwegians are laughing at us and they will never ever go into the eu after seeing what it is doing to their neighboring countries.
    I presume, from what you say, that you've no idea about either and probably have never set foot in either.

Both Switzerland and Norway are, many practical terms, in the EU in so far that both are required to, and do, implement EU legislation as it is issued from Brussels. Both have exactly the same freedom of movement that the rest of the EU has, for example.

The debate on whether Switzerland will join ended here a long time ago and the general feeling is more one of 'when', rather than 'if'. I see evidence of how we're not in the EU here every day; ordering anything over the Internet has a good chance of getting caught by customs in the post, I still get to use duty free whenever I go home to Ireland, but ultimately 90% if it's an EU rule on health, quality, labour or whatever, we probably have it already copied to Swiss law.

Norway, on the other hand is apparently laughing so much at EU members that it even advised the UK it was better off remaining one - which does not help your argument too much. So your claims turn out to be false. Sorry.

The rest of your posts are the usual, gleeful, prophecies of doom - wishful thinking with no argument, let alone evidence, to back them up, so I think we can safely file them in the 'crank' file.
    as i have said before the irish public are quiet thick and just dont understand simple logic. The eu is creating laziness among-st the Irish youth. I want the best for my country thats why in anti eu
    You've not demonstrated much logic yourself, so I suppose by your reasoning you must be Irish. Still, EU is creating laziness? That's a new one and I'm not sure how it works. Care to explain?
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Euroskeptic logic: voting more often is less democratic.
    In fairness, this is a valid criticism. If you need to democratically get people to vote multiple times in quick succession until they give you the 'right' answer, then there is a democratic defect.

Thing is, while the EU is certainly flawed, the 'little islander' approach is far worse - not hard to see, given the quality of argument used to promote it.

In fairness, this is a valid criticism. If you need to democratically get people to vote multiple times in quick succession until they give you the 'right' answer, then there is a democratic defect.
    The EU didn't "need" the Irish public to vote at all; that's one of many constitutional idiosyncrasies unique to us. Couple it with an anti-EU cohort that's prepared to disseminate blatant lies, along with an electorate who would rather believe those lies than (heaven forfend) do any actual research on the topic, and you end up with a situation where the government is denied permission to ratify a treaty it negotiated in good faith for reasons that have precisely nothing whatsoever to do with the text or context of the treaty.

Under those circumstances, I don't see a major democratic defect in asking us to vote again. The alternative was to re-negotiate a treaty in order to remove aspects of it that were never in it. Given a choice between notionally undemocratic and blatantly, mind-bendingly stupid outcomes, I know which I'd pick.

The EU didn't "need" the Irish public to vote at all; that's one of many constitutional idiosyncrasies unique to us.
    Perhaps, but repeating a vote in quick succession until you get the 'right' result is not terribly democratic. If it's a democratic deficit, it's properly an Irish one - it's our system that allows governments to do this, rather than anything to do with the EU, but it's still a democratic deficit.
    Couple it with an anti-EU cohort that's prepared to disseminate blatant lies, along with an electorate who would rather believe those lies than (heaven forfend) do any actual research on the topic, and you end up with a situation where the government is denied permission to ratify a treaty it negotiated in good faith for reasons that have precisely nothing whatsoever to do with the text or context of the treaty.

Under those circumstances, I don't see a major democratic defect in asking us to vote again. The alternative was to re-negotiate a treaty in order to remove aspects of it that were never in it. Given a choice between notionally undemocratic and blatantly, mind-bendingly stupid outcomes, I know which I'd pick.
    I understand what you're saying. As, I think Churchill once said "the best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter", which is essentially what you're getting at. And to a great degree it is a dreadful system - with illiterate morons deciding on issues that they cannot even intellectually grasp, let alone make an informed judgment on, manipulated by lobby groups more than happy to empty blatant lies and FUD for this purpose (we get this here all the time).

However he once also said "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others", which is also true because as much as we may wish we could reply upon Platonic philosopher kings who will always be guided with the greater good in mind, they're not always so.

That's why the people retain the option to say 'no', and frankly should retain that option, even if they are, by and large, idiots.

That's why the people retain the option to say 'no', and frankly should retain that option, even if they are, by and large, idiots.

I understand the philosophical arguments, I really do. Pragmatically, however, if you ask someone a question and they answer "no", and the consequences of that answer are potentially damaging and far-reaching, and you know they weren't listening to the question when you asked it...

...it's really not that big a deal to ask "are you sure?".

For me, the single biggest downside to having multiple referendums is having to listen to the Euroskeptics bleat on and on and on and on about how the nasty EU made us do it, which is just so headwreckingly predictable, and utterly wrong, and predictable precisely because of its wrongness (because wrongness is, let's face it, the primary raw material of most Euroskepticism).

As for the people having the right to say "no": they retained that right in the repeat referendum, despite what the nay-sayers would have us believe.

I understand the philosophical arguments, I really do. Pragmatically, however, if you ask someone a question and they answer "no", and the consequences of that answer are potentially damaging and far-reaching, and you know they weren't listening to the question when you asked it...

...it's really not that big a deal to ask "are you sure?".
    Sometimes it's a big deal to get them to comprehend the difference between small and far away, TBH. Not everyone can be on the right hand side of the Bell curve, I'm afraid.
    For me, the single biggest downside to having multiple referendums is having to listen to the Euroskeptics bleat on and on and on and on about how the nasty EU made us do it, which is just so headwreckingly predictable, and utterly wrong, and predictable precisely because of its wrongness (because wrongness is, let's face it, the primary raw material of most Euroskepticism).
    The vast majority of Euroscepticism, at least in the EU, is ultimately based on xenophobia. Argue long enough and nine out of ten eurosceptics will eventually admit that it comes down to the Germans, Italians or whomever "not being like us". Everything else, all the 'reasonable' areguments are invariably based on false axioms or the use of complex terms which sounds authoritative until you realize they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

It's why we get people talking about Switzerland, who wouldn't know the first thing about Switzerland, and claim we could be just like them - a quick comparison of just CIE and SBB would quickly disabuse you of that fantasy. Or that the EU was really meant to be a common market, which it wasn't and demonstrably wasn't, but they'll go into some weird form of denial and just blatantly ignore any facts that don't back up their position.

Honestly, such is the level of fanaticism of ardent eurosceptics, that I'm convinced that either they are perfectly aware that they are dishonest in their arguments, presumably for 'the greater good', or have mental health issues.
    As for the people having the right to say "no": they retained that right in the repeat referendum, despite what the nay-sayers would have us believe.
    Would you agree if it was a general election and they got to have it multiple times until SF got into power? That's the problem with what you say; it's fine as long as it's for the greater good that you recognize.

Would you agree if it was a general election and they got to have it multiple times until SF got into power? That's the problem with what you say; it's fine as long as it's for the greater good that you recognize.

Two problems with that analogy: first, it's the government that decides whether to hold a referendum (or an election). That right is granted to the government by the constitution, without limitation; the absence of such limitation has been upheld by the courts. If the government that won an election decided that it couldn't live with the result and called another one, it has the right to do so. I can't imagine a non-SF government re-running an election until SF got into power, somehow.

Second, the government were faced with a choice after losing the first Lisbon referendum. They could offer reassurances to the electorate that no, they wouldn't be conscripted into the EU abortion army or whatever bull**** the No side were peddling, and run the referendum again; or they could go back to the rest of the EU member states and tell them that they would have to re-negotiate the entire treaty because of some nonsense that wasn't even in the damn thing to start with.

No matter how you feel about multiple referendums, surely anyone reasonable can see that the latter option was simply untenable?

"Sorry lads, we have to re-negotiate the treaty."

"Why, what parts of it are a problem?"

"None, actually. All the objections are fictional. But we have to re-negotiate it anyway."

"...?!"

Faced with the choice between re-running the referendum, or telling the rest of the EU member states that they'd have to re-write the treaty on the basis of fictional objections - what would you have done?

Perhaps, but repeating a vote in quick succession until you get the 'right' result is not terribly democratic.

Firstly, if the people still want to vote No, they can. You could hold 100 referendums in a row in Ireland, and we would not vote to leave the EU.

Secondly, why does this only apply to referendums? If a government collapses, the conventional wisdom is that it is democratic to hold another election, no matter haw recent the last one was, and people tend to frown and say "Boo! Undemocratic!" if the elected folks get together and cook up another government without an election.

Two problems with that analogy: first, it's the government that decides whether to hold a referendum (or an election).
    Not necessarily the best group to imbue such power too. Consider SF get into government and have a referendum for reunification. It's defeated. It's their prerogative to have another one, and an other and an other, if they wanted, until they get the yes they want.
    Second, the government were faced with a choice after losing the first Lisbon referendum.
    I do think it a democratic deficit in the Irish system. But I also agree with you that the whole thing probably should never have gone to referendum in the first place. I know barristers who could not understand the Nice treaty, let alone Joe Murphy on the Rathmines omnibus. As I pointed out with the Churchill quotes earlier, it all probably comes down to a balance between tyranny and chaos, oligarchy and democracy.
    Firstly, if the people still want to vote No, they can. You could hold 100 referendums in a row in Ireland, and we would not vote to leave the EU.
    Nice was about leaving the EU?
    Secondly, why does this only apply to referendums? If a government collapses, the conventional wisdom is that it is democratic to hold another election, no matter haw recent the last one was, and people tend to frown and say "Boo! Undemocratic!" if the elected folks get together and cook up another government without an election.
    Poor analogy. Running a referendum again is the equivalent of rejecting the outcome of the previous one and trying again until you get the outcome you like. A more accurate analogy would be to have an election, then the government deciding they want to throw the results out and run it again until they get the results they want. Then they let it stand.

Running a referendum again is the equivalent of rejecting the outcome of the previous one and trying again until you get the outcome you like.

No, it isn't. For example, the people rejected divorce, and after that referendum, there was no divorce. The result was not rejected. 10 years later the people passed it, and now there is divorce. If views change, we could re-run it and ban divorce again.

Nothing undemocratic there at all.

In the case of Nice and Lisbon, the No side yelled that it was undemocratic to hold it again because they somehow got the result they wanted the first time. They would say that.

But if the people democratically agreed with them, they would simply have voted No the second time.

What happened was that after some months of discussion, people changed their minds. Nothing undemocratic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Look at it this way the two richest countries in europe are Norway and Switzerland both not in the E.U.
    On the basis of GDP per capita, Luxembourg is the richest country in Europe.

Advertisement