Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Hi all
    This must sound like a really stupid question but I cannot for the life of me see where to pay my cruise balance payment. I can see the cruise and passenger listing etc and every other blessed thing but no sign of the balance due or how to pay. I know roughly what the amount is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you paid a deposit? Is it possible they will come looking for the balance a set number of weeks before the cruise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We paid a deposit online in March and the balance is due tomorrow 56 days before we sail. I have trawled the site up and down and back and forth and no joy. If all else fails I will have to ring them this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Old thread I know

But anyone have said itinerary ?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't know about specifically rccl , but most cruise lines will take it automatically from the card used to make the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Kalimah wrote: »
    We paid a deposit online in March and the balance is due tomorrow 56 days before we sail. I have trawled the site up and down and back and forth and no joy. If all else fails I will have to ring them this evening.

It was the same with me with MSC. I called them and it was sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Travelfox.ie have a last minute offer on their facebook page.

4 nights on MSC Splendida going tomorrow from Dublin to Southampton return for €89pp. There's a limited number of places.

Now that's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So I booked a cruise on the Shannon for 4 nights next weekend. Long story short, a lot of people who I had assumed would be going no longer are, and I now have 4 people on an 8-man boat. I've been trying to round up replacements but to no avail. As I had paid up front for the whole thing on a 'if I book it, they will come' mentality, I am out of pocket as the boat operators do not offer refunds for cancellations. Also, having done this a number of years ago with 7-8 people I know that it is much more fun with a larger group of people than just 4.

Is there a service or website available to 'find' people who may like to go? Any boardsies interested???

Seriously, if you can't find people you already know or who come with a personal recommendation (as to their sanity, ability to deal with alcohol and personal hygiene), I wouldn't start recruiting people off an internet site. When you cram that many people into a small space for a few days, you really do need to know who you're dealing with.

But if you really want to go about it this way, please advise prospective travellers where you're starting from - Carrick/Killaloe/Banagher/Athlone??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pippa!

Hi all,

Not sure I'm in the right forum but here goes!

My parents are visiting next week and we're renting out a boat to go down the Shannon for 3 nights, I've never been before myself and can't find any good info anywhere, has anyone done that route before and can give me some ideas?

It'll be myself, my parents (early 60's) and my five year old daughter. I suppose I'd like to know good places to moor, eat and things to do... Playgrounds? Would love to hear from anyone who's brought a five year old along and how they got on!

Many thanks :-)

• Advertisement

You need to be careful crossing Lough Derg, it runs SW to NE so if there's a decent south-westerly wind the water can get very rough. As an option you need to plan that the lake will be unsafe for navigation and have a plan 'B' which involves going upriver to Banagher, Shannonbridge, CLonmacnoise and maybe as far as Athlone.

The Met Office have a special webpage for the inland lakes, keep an eye on it and when you're picking up the boat, ask the hire company person if the lake is safe to cross..... http://www.met.ie/forecasts/inland-lakes.asp Also remember to keep an eye on the weather for the next day as you don't want to get stranded on the lake in a town from which you can't leave because of the weather - it does happen.

Lough Derg is a very nice place with lots of small towns with good pubs and restaurants. Not all of the villages are directly beside the lake, Terryglass for example is a decent walk and consists of two pubs which do food, Mountshannon involves climbing a steep hill, worth bearing in mind in case either of your parents is not fully mobile. Dromineer is a big sailing location so expect a good buzz about the place at this time of year. There are loads of pubs and restaurants in Killaloe which actually consists of two towns - as you approach from the lake, Ballina in Co. Tipperary is on your left and on the right is Killaloe which is in Co. Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pippa!

Coylemj, great info, thanks a million :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

spurious wrote: »
    Don't book through the cruise line - that's the most expensive option.

Go on Cruise critic and get recommendations from others of reliable local options in each destination and either book them online in advance or at the port on arrival. Make sure to be back to the boat in plenty of time.

If you google , the port name and cruises, you will see options for independent excursions,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've been in touch with some of my new American friends from the last cruise and got some recommendations for US travel agents if anyone wants to give them a try. Not that I'm already looking at booking for next year, while already having another coming up later this year or anything. Oh no, of course not.

http://www.lastcallcruises.com/ have cropped up a few times. I sent a mail yesterday and got a prompt reply with prices, but not answers to all my questions. I already know which ship/dates I'm looking at, so I didn't try their "recommendation" service. Will keep people posted as to how I get on if you're interested.

Using a VPN I had already checked out the prices for the same cabin on the same sailing through Royal's Irish and US sites. The US site had the same cabin (including taxes, which they list separately) as over $600 cheaper through the US site. Disgusting. This isn't a one off - any time I've managed to compare, the UK/Irish sites are way more expensive far more than can be accounted for by hedge rates, VAT or ABTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Thoie wrote: »
    I've been in touch with some of my new American friends from the last cruise and got some recommendations for US travel agents if anyone wants to give them a try. Not that I'm already looking at booking for next year, while already having another coming up later this year or anything. Oh no, of course not.

http://www.lastcallcruises.com/ have cropped up a few times. I sent a mail yesterday and got a prompt reply with prices, but not answers to all my questions. I already know which ship/dates I'm looking at, so I didn't try their "recommendation" service. Will keep people posted as to how I get on if you're interested.

Using a VPN I had already checked out the prices for the same cabin on the same sailing through Royal's Irish and US sites. The US site had the same cabin (including taxes, which they list separately) as over $600 cheaper through the US site. Disgusting. This isn't a one off - any time I've managed to compare, the UK/Irish sites are way more expensive far more than can be accounted for by hedge rates, VAT or ABTA.

I'm deffo interested. The difference between US and UK/IRE customer prices are rediculous sometimes. And the US customers can avail of price drops and the like where the UK/IRE customers can't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The US travel agent we've used a few times is www.cruise.com -no complaints at all. Benefitted from price drops too!

hdowney wrote: »
    I'm deffo interested. The difference between US and UK/IRE customer prices are rediculous sometimes. And the US customers can avail of price drops and the like where the UK/IRE customers can't

Straight away they're offering me $50 OBC as well as the price drop benefits etc. I've never been offered OBC before! Now, on the one hand, $50 won't go very far, but hey, free money!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There has to be a catch though - are you protected if the US company go belly-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

There has to be a catch though - are you protected if the US company go belly-up?

If you use your credit card you'll have protection

That plus insurance your sorted.

I am loving this. You are right $50 OBC isn't much but it sure beats $0 OBC. Keep me posted

• Advertisement

No, that's the "ABTA" risk I thought I had mentioned. In Ireland/UK ABTA gives you an element of protection against travel agent failure, though it generally only extends to financial loss. You'd get your money back eventually, but possibly not in time to make the holiday.
    That plus insurance your sorted.

I am loving this. You are right $50 OBC isn't much but it sure beats $0 OBC. Keep me posted

Correct - I always use my credit card (even if there's a surcharge for doing so) due to the protections I get with it, which gives me pretty much the same financial protection as ABTA. The only bit I'm missing that ABTA would provide is help getting home if, for example, a chartered flight folded and left me stranded abroad. As I'm usually taking scheduled flights, this doesn't apply. And it's highly unlikely that any of the big cruise companies will suddenly stop running in the middle of a cruise. Worst case scenario and they suddenly did, credit card and travel insurance would take care of getting me home.

Have decided to hold off booking until next week for various non-cruise related mysterious reasons. Which is a pity as the US BOGOF (which makes the single fare essentially 150%) is ending this weekend :( But it can't be helped. Hopefully with the ability to take advantage of price drops I'll end up OK in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Hi all

Just seen this place

We have been on 11 cruises, and have 3 more booked.

Our next one is a 14 Day Med and black sea cruise on MSC, than 11 Days on NCL Epic, than 14 Days in the Caribbean on the NCL GEM

yes, we love cruising...

If anybody need some advice, check out Cruise Critic, or ask, and I will try and help...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

What would be some of the more popular or reputable sites to hook a cruise through?

Thoie can probably tell you more about travel agents - particularly if you want to go with a US based one in order to avail of deposit return/price drops/possible OBC.

There is a general consensus I think though that booking directly with the Cruise line (either online or through their PCC/PVP) is best. Open to correction though. It's the way I'd normally go about things - although keeping my options open 're Thoie and his US agent :)

Thoie can probably tell you more about travel agents - particularly if you want to go with a US based one in order to avail of deposit return/price drops/possible OBC.

There is a general consensus I think though that booking directly with the Cruise line (either online or through their PCC/PVP) is best. Open to correction though. It's the way I'd normally go about things - although keeping my options open 're Thoie and his US agent :)

I've absolutely zero knowledge of even cruise lines though! Or what a PCC or PVP is :)

Oh God sorry. Been LIVING on cruise sites and cruise critic for two years! OBC - on board credit (as the name suggests used to purchase things on board. Often given as incentives by travel agents. Sometimes offered by cruise lines).
    PCC and PVP are much the same: Personal Cruise Consultant and Personal Vacation Planner. Cruise lines have them working for them (like call centre type folk).

Ok so do you have any idea what type of cruise you'd like? Short e.g. 3/4day. Mid e.g. 7. Long e.g. 14. Epic (anything above!). Area of consideration? Mediterranean, Caribbean, Alaska, Americas, Transatlantic etc.

Solo or with folk?

Are you interested in a cheaper trip or a more luxurious one (the more you pay upfront the more 'all-inclusive' it is and the less you'll have to fork out onboard).

Different cabin types vary in price from insides (windowless and often small) being cheapest up to Executive Suite types with more than one room, balcony etc being the most expensive.

When (year/time of year) are you looking to go?

It can seem like a minefield at first but narrowing down a few of your options can help.

:)

Oh God sorry. Been LIVING on cruise sites and cruise critic for two years! OBC - on board credit (as the name suggests used to purchase things on board. Often given as incentives by travel agents. Sometimes offered by cruise lines).
    PCC and PVP are much the same: Personal Cruise Consultant and Personal Vacation Planner. Cruise lines have them working for them (like call centre type folk).

Ok so do you have any idea what type of cruise you'd like? Short e.g. 3/4day. Mid e.g. 7. Long e.g. 14. Epic (anything above!). Area of consideration? Mediterranean, Caribbean, Alaska, Americas, Transatlantic etc.

Solo or with folk?

Are you interested in a cheaper trip or a more luxurious one (the more you pay upfront the more 'all-inclusive' it is and the less you'll have to fork out onboard).

Different cabin types vary in price from insides (windowless and often small) being cheapest up to Executive Suite types with more than one room, balcony etc being the most expensive.

When (year/time of year) are you looking to go?

It can seem like a minefield at first but narrowing down a few of your options can help.

:)

Thanks for the explanations! Like I said, I'm in need of an Idiots Guide to Cruises :D

7-14 days would be ideal. I'm travelling solo, and I guess I'd like a more luxury than cheapy trip... I can stretch my budget if needs be. That said, I'd prefer to pay more for activities / drinks / entertainment and spend less on the cabin.

Time of year is anytime from ASAP through to September or October. If there are late deals, they'd be ideal.
    As for location, I don't mind a bit once it's sunny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

FYI these work great for cruises ... very difficult to spot on an X-Ray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rum-Runner-Flasks-Cruise-Kit/dp/B00FJU0PSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433250373&sr=8-1&keywords=rum+runners

Just make sure the plastic cap is next to your toiletries ;)

Ok well. Hmm. Perhaps start by taking a look at Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises and Celebrity Cruises. They all have sites. You can use search criteria to input when you want to go and length and they can tell you where they sail. It might help narrow down the search.

More upmarket from there would be the likes of Azamara and Oceania.

Also bear in mind size of shop and therefore amount of fellow passengers. All the sites will tell you which ship is sailing each itinerary you look at and they have a breakdown of what's on their ships, size of ships, amount of passengers etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Anybody saw the Norwegian Epic Cruise 7 days Mediterranean from Barcelona through loveitbookit? Booked it for November, first cruise ever! So excited!

Advertisement