Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

SweetSand that's good to hear, did you do any of the excursions? I haven't really looked into them yet. Does the ship dock close to the cities if you don't do the organised excursions or would you need a taxi? I know Rome is about 90 mins from the port so we'll probably do that excursion.

I don't normally suffer from seasickness between Ireland and UK but what's it like in the med?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

We didn't do any excursions organised by MSC as we found them to be very expensive. I read about each port before we left and thats what we did:
    - Rome, docked at 8, we were one of the first ones out, short walk to free shuttle bus which brings you outside of the port, then 5 minutes walk to the train station, trains are frequent, every 20-30 mins, cost - 10euro return. We decided to start with Vatican, so didn't go as far as the last stop Termini but came out at St.Pietro station, which is 5 minutes away from Vatican. There, we stood for 1.5h in the Q to get into St Peter's Basilica, it was totally worth it. After that, we took bus no64 as far as Plazza Venezia (sorry for spelling) and Coliseum is only 10 mins walk from there. We saw Forum on the way as well. For me St Peter's Basilica and Coliseum were 2 main things to see and then depending on the time I wanted to see Trevi Fountain, so we rushed there only to find that it is being renovated to didn't work :( after this we just felt wrecked so took bus no64 as far as Termini train station and took the train back. We were back on the ship by 4.30, absolutely wrecked but happy :)
    -Palermo, docked at 12 which gave us a nice relaxing morning but weather was bad that day (our only bad weather day) so we even considered not getting out but then decided to give it a go. Ship docks straight in town and its around 20-30 minutes walk to the main Cathedral, which we did and few other sites on the way :)
    -Valetta, docked at 9, again in town, out of the ship by 11, decided to take open city tour bus, 10 euro each. Weather was nice but very windy, got burned but really enjoyed it. There are 2 lines: red and blue, we only did red as it took nearly 2 hours and it was enough for us and we just had a little walk. There are lovely shops in the port itself.
    -day at sea, it was a bit stormy. No sunbathing outside but we finally had a good look around the ship :) found MSC shop reasonable and it has some lovely souvenirs :)
    -Barcelona, docked at 9, out by 10, there is port shuttle bus T3, 3 euro return, just outside main doors and it brings you to the city centre. It wasn't our first time in Barcelona, so we decided to just do Aquarium (booked tickets online) and little walk, it was great and weather was fab :)
    -Marseille, docked at 9, out around 9.30, there is 6-8min walk on green path to free port shuttle bus (MSC charges 16.80!!!), every 30 minutes, and it brings you very close to the old port. We were lucky with weather/timing, walk didn't take long and shuttle departed as soon as we got in :) We loved Marseille, really expected less and worse, but were amazed by it. Went to Cathedral first, then walked all around old port. We were going to take the bus (you can take the tourist one for 8 euro or just a regular one for 1.80) to the Notre Dame but didn't bother at the end as want to come back to Marseille again :) Ship was departing at 4 so we were back by 3 and packing :(

As regards to sea sickness, we were very lucky, sea was calm most of the time apart from day at sea, but even then it didn't bother us at all, nor did i see any people suffering but i did notice sea sickness bags being left out by staff for any one who needed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

deisemum wrote: »
    SweetSand that's good to hear, did you do any of the excursions? I haven't really looked into them yet. Does the ship dock close to the cities if you don't do the organised excursions or would you need a taxi? I know Rome is about 90 mins from the port so we'll probably do that excursion.

I don't normally suffer from seasickness between Ireland and UK but what's it like in the med?

If you don't get sea sick on Irish Ferries, you'll probably be OK on a cruise ship. The only time I've ever felt vaguely seasick was between Rosslare and Cherbourg in relatively calm weather, whereas I've been through a force 11 on a cruise ship without a bother. I always pack some tablets just in case, but have never used them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

It's also a fire hazard so in fairness they have a point!

You're right ad. I was very careful with mine but others might not be. Probably best not to bring one. Iron before you go and hang up on hangers in the cabin. Creases will fall out and if they don't, so what :)

deisemum wrote: »

Cruise ships travel at a very slow speed - 25 mph:

http://cruises.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Fast_Does_a_Cruise_Ship_Travel

• Advertisement

maebee wrote: »
    Cruise ships travel at a very slow speed - 25 mph:

http://cruises.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Fast_Does_a_Cruise_Ship_Travel

With the exception of the Jonathan Swift (which can hit up to 40 knots), 20-24 knots is a decent speed for most passenger ships. The Ulysses and Oscar Wilde, for example, would normally operate in the 20-24 knot range. You'll notice that the Jonathan Swift seems to get cancelled at the drop of a hat when the weather is rough.

Cargo ships (oil tankers, etc) are usually slower again. The QM2 with some of the fastest Atlantic crossings "only" has a top speed of around 30 knots (35mph).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Are the cruises suitable for single people? I am 40 male and wondering if it's easy to mingle or do people keep to themselves, maybe there is a particular cruise for single people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've never gone on one as a single person but loads of people do! It can work out quite expensive though unless you can get a cabin for one person as they charge you extra to make up for loss of revenue from a second person. You'll meet people at dinner, there'll be singles events organised on board etc. As a very general rule the passengers on cruises tend to be very friendly and outgoing and there's never a problem getting talking to people or joining in with them

sporter1 wrote: »
    Are the cruises suitable for single people? I am 40 male and wondering if it's easy to mingle or do people keep to themselves, maybe there is a particular cruise for single people?

All mine have been single (similar age to you, but female). Keep an open mind about the ages of people you meet - if you only want to talk to 25-40 year olds you may be disappointed.

I've found that less port-intensive cruises are better for meeting people, as people are around the ship more and you're more likely to run into the same faces again. Taking a set dining time at a large table, going to various events are also good ways to meet people as well. Also sign up for your "roll call" on cruise critic - gives you a chance to get to know a few people in advance. They'll often have sailaway parties etc arranged, where you can meet some people on the first day. You won't necessarily like everyone on your roll call, and that's OK - you're not glued to them for the trip.

Watch out on the cruise critic site for the difference between solo and single. Solo usually has connotations of a person travelling alone for any reason, whereas single is often taken to mean "looking for love". On the other hand, don't avoid the "singles lunches" either. I did at the beginning, but it turns out that it's not a weird awkward dating thing, just lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Thanks angeldelight, which company would be the best for a carribean cruise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've only ever travelled with Royal Caribbean so can't give an objective answer to that but the three Caribbean cruises I did with them were great - my own preference would be to steer clear of Oasis & Allure and go for a slightly smaller ship as the itineraries tend to be a bit more interesting, but for your first time any of the islands are going to be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

sporter1 wrote: »
    Thanks angeldelight, which company would be the best for a carribean cruise?

Have a look at the NCL Epic , Getaway, Breakaway or Escape.

They have single cabins with their own lounge for solo travels to mingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

^ that tip about NCLs single cabins will be stored in the mental bank in case my mother doesn't get a kick out of cruising (which I hope she will). I never did make it on my Carnival Caribbean cruise due to unforeseen illness.

I am looking at a cruise for July 2016 (2015's holiday is already booked to Lake Garda so...). So far I have looked at Celebrity, didn't draw me, RCL, a couple 'kinda did' and NCL, where a cruise from Venice for 7 days round the Greek Island's on the Norwegian Jade ticked many boxes. Still have to look at MSC and Princess to see what they offer.

Anyone been on NCL ships tell me anything about their experiences with NCL? Anyone been on the Norwegian Jade specifically? She seems like a small/mid-size ship. about 2000pax so not in the superclass ship. Anyone done a Greek Island's style Itinerary?

Cheers :)

Well I've been on my cruise and loved it, I'll definitely be going on another one. My holiday was enhanced by all the information on here and on cruise critic both the experience and saving money. I was able to pass on a lot of that information to other passengers who were delighted especially on how they could save money on excursions.

We arrived around 10.30am at the port by taxi (cost €40) and the porters were there to take our luggage which was great. I had visions of having to walk some distance with the luggage before we could check in but the terminal is beside the ship. They started checking in passengers just after 11am, they were only a small number of desks open and they were slow but that was fine. Once on board we were sent to the buffet.

Marseille: We followed the green footpath and got the free port shuttle into the old part of the town. We just pottered about and did some shopping. It was lovely and sunny but there was a strong breeze down by the port.

Genoa: we liked Genoa and when you exit the terminal and take the escalator up to street level there were tour buses so we did the tour, it was €10 each. There was a large market that we spent some time browsing, there was even a Guinness stall.

Rome: Easter Monday's not a good day to visit Rome as it's mobbed. We got the free shuttle to the edge of the port then got the bus to the train station, that cost 80c each way. We got our train ticket in the newsagents beside the train station as advised by an Italian so it cut out having to queue in the station. We got a €12 ticket that covered the train to Rome, buses, metro and tram etc. We got off near the Vatican but just had a look in St. Peter's Square as the queues were very long. We walked over to the Coliseum, that was a long walk in the heat. We didn't stay too long in Rome, the amount of hawkers was awful, they just blocked your way and were very persistent, in fact they were very intimidating. We were back onboard just after 4pm.

Palermo: The first thing you see is the sea of hawkers, they'd follow you up the streets. We did a tour on the tourist train that goes from outside where the ship has docked, it was €10 each. We enjoyed that, the architecture is lovely but it's so dilapidated, most of the buildings need painting. We were told that most people cannot afford the maintenance.

Malta: Malta was lovely, very friendly people, cheap and no hawkers.

When we disembarked at Barcelona we went to collect our luggage from the conveyer belt and spotted a man at a portable desk taking passengers luggage to mind for the day and deliver it to their hotel, train station or airport. We left our luggage with him, it was €10 per bag and meant we were luggage free to spend the day sightseeing in Barcelona as our flight wasn't until 10.45pm. We got the T3 post bus into the Christopher Columbus statue and then did the hop on hop off tour of Barcelona and a tour of the Nou Camp. We got the airport bus out to the airport and collected our luggage which was already on a trolley ready for us.

It was a great holiday and everything was so well organised.

Hey,

Anybody know of websites to offer the best prices on cruises? Including last minute cruises too?

Thanks,

Daspendy

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

I keep checking seascanner.com or cruise companies own websites, ebookers.ie have some good deals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Try cruisecompete.com

It will give you quotes from several travel agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

www.holidaypirates.com/cruises sometimes have special deals at the start and end of the holiday seasons.

Hey Thoie who do you use for cruise insurance? Or any of ye Irish folks for that matter?

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Hey Thoie who do you use for cruise insurance? Or any of ye Irish folks for that matter?

Just back from my cruise too - too exhausted to detail it yet (too much fun!). I also disembarked in Barcelona for the first time, and was impressed with the setup - very smooth (even if I did stand at the wrong belt for a while).

I'm with GloHealth at the moment, so using their annual holiday insurance. The health insurance part covers medical worldwide, so the holiday add-on is really just for missed flights/luggage/delays etc, so it's only about €50 a year (or less). Think it's underwritten by Allianz.

The main thing to confirm with any insurance company is will they cover the cost of getting you to the next port if you miss the ship for some reason. Not all do. Mine covers me only if I'm delayed on public transport.

Take a breath.... and then get to detailing!!!! I live vicariously through others trip reviews until it is time for my trip!!!

No seriously take your time but can't wait to read about your cruise.

Hunt for insurance...continues

A rather haphazard cruise review, missing all sorts of details. Ask questions if there's something major I've missed!

Flew DUB-JFK-FLL and stayed in a motel on the night before the cruise. Rodeway Inn and Suites. It was cheap and cheerful, but primarily provided both airport and cruise transfers, and had a little gift shop for last minute purchases, as well as a bar that served burgers etc.

You can get the free shuttle the next morning, which is quite well organised, but involves a certain amount of standing around in the heat waiting for your shuttle (pretty much everyone in the hotel is waiting for a shuttle, so you may be waiting up to two hours). I paid an extra $5 for a "specific time" shuttle at 1pm which meant I could loiter elsewhere.

Due to my comparatively late arrival at the pier (my boarding time was for 2:45pm or something, but everyone seems to ignore that and turn up around 11am), there were hardly any queues. The longest delay was a couple in front of me who had apparently never been through a security x-ray/metal detector before, and made a hames of the entire queue.

Walked straight onto the ship and headed straight to my cabin (which was open by then), mainly because I should have gone to the toilet before we left the hotel :) Dropped hand luggage, then went looking for food. I was on the Allure of the Seas transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Málaga, then on to Barcelona. The Central Park was close to my cabin, so went there for a "pick your own salad" in the Park Café.

The Allure is huge (currently the biggest cruise ship at sea). At max capacity it can take something like 6,500 passengers and another 2,500 crew. From deck 6 upwards it splits in two at the aft, leading to a variety of "neighbourhoods" - a boardwalk (carousel, aquatheatre, hot dog stand etc); Central park (a live, growing park in the middle of the ship, lined with shops and restaurants); 4 different pool zones (kiddies, sports, beach, and other) as well as a solarium; Royal promenade - bars, shops, guest services. There's ziplining, rock walls, flowriders, mini golf and a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't try.

Despite 10 days at sea, I never even explored huge portions of the ship, it's just that big. The entertainments were fine - never really my thing. The aqua shows were worth watching. Chicago (which was finishing up) did nothing for me. I ended up missing many of the other shows, including Blue Planet which I'd really wanted to see.

From around 7am to 11pm each day there were a whole variety of activities taking place. I mostly did "trivia" (mini pub quizzes, prizes, if any, are generally things like key rings, but they can get very competitive!), but there were zumba classes, aquarobics (which I kept missing), arts and crafts type things, the occasional movie (I watched X-men Day of Future Past in 3D one night) and a host of other things.

For the sea days my routine was generally stagger out of bed, go find breakfast, head up either to the pool or to a trivia game. Invariably would meet people and start chatting and miss lunch! There were a few days where I managed to miss both breakfast and lunch, but there were always places on the ship where you could grab a sandwich/pastry at all hours.

Afternoons there were "progressive trivia" games, where you had the same team for the entire trip, and points built up from day to day. These were really popular, and you needed to turn up at least 30 minutes early to get a seat. After the trivia, myself and my team mates would often sit around chatting, or go off to other activities, or else I'd take my book up to the pool and dip in and out of the pools/jacuzzis.

I'd taken the Ultimate Drinks Package (unlimited alcohol, water, specialty coffees, fresh OJ), which I wouldn't normally do. It costs $55 per person per day, +18% "gratuities", so it's bloody expensive. I normally take the Royal Replenish (same, except without alcohol) for about $20 per day. Details of the packages. When I booked there was an offer on of a "free" Select Package. The difference in price between the Select and Ultimate was the same as the Royal Replenish would normally cost, so I upgraded.

Having got it more or less for free, I made good use of it, but I don't think I'd have broken even if I was paying for it all myself. The Royal Replenish does me well - I'll start the morning with a fresh OJ and a cappucino, grab a bottle of water or a soft drink here and there throughout the day, have another coffee at some point, San Pellegrino at dinner, and maybe a decaff latte on the way to bed. With the Ultimate Package, some of the soft drinks became a bit less soft, and there were cocktails by the pool, but I doubt I got $65 a day's worth out of it.

After the pool, I'd generally head back to my cabin around 6 or 7pm to have a shower and get ready for dinner. A group of us from cruise critic had linked our reservations for a large table of 10 at 8:30 each night, and that worked out well. Once I was showered, I'd often head to the casino while waiting for dinner, as you can smoke e-cigs there (and real cigs too) on one side. Sometimes I'd just sit with a drink and my book, other times I'd play the evil poker machines (and win, win, win then lose lose lose it all again).

After dinner, depending on what was suggested I'd usually end up back in the casino, or out on deck (chatting/playing cards) or sometimes going to a show).

All very casual, and possibly not most people's idea of a holiday, but it suits me :)

oooh sounds amazing. i NEED my cruise to hurry up. I didn't realise you were on CC thoie :)

Great synopsis Thoie :) Sounds like you had a blast :) I'm counting down to our Alaska cruise in June :)

MSC Splendida - the ship I was on will be docking in Dublin next Monday.

http://theliberal.ie/luxury-cruiser-msc-splendida-to-dock-in-dublin-this-summer/

Going on our first cruise later in the year,
    Sanfran to maimi and I have a question.
    Excursions.
    Are we better to book them in advance via the cruise line?
    or on the day onshore off a local?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Going on our first cruise later in the year,
    Sanfran to maimi and I have a question.
    Excursions.
    Are we better to book them in advance via the cruise line?
    or on the day onshore off a local?

Don't book through the cruise line - that's the most expensive option.

Go on Cruise critic and get recommendations from others of reliable local options in each destination and either book them online in advance or at the port on arrival. Make sure to be back to the boat in plenty of time.

spurious wrote: »
    Don't book through the cruise line - that's the most expensive option.

Go on Cruise critic and get recommendations from others of reliable local options in each destination and either book them online in advance or at the port on arrival. Make sure to be back to the boat in plenty of time.

Thanks
    Money is not really a concern tbh.
    just handiness.
    It was more of a are we going to get off the boat and have the options waiting there for us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks
    Money is not really a concern tbh.
    just handiness.
    It was more of a are we going to get off the boat and have the options waiting there for us

If money's not an option, I suppose you could go with the cruise line, but you're often talking multiples of four the local cost.

There are boards on Cruise critic for all destinations - might be worth taking a look.

Advertisement