Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When it happens, what will we be able to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FreaksAndGeeks

They new age Irish people will never be able to band together to actually have all out protest/ resistance. Sure we'll miss Fair City with all the rioting and all that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

222233 wrote: »
    I do love a bit of rain, free shower and all that

I'd have a look at some pictures from the Great War and urge you to reconsider. Nothing nice about trench foot and hypothermia. Knowing is half the battle. You're courting infection that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Reiver wrote: »
    Recent events in Texas and discussion on another thread got me wondering about Ireland's situation. How prepared are we as a country for a coup d'etat or a police action akin to Operation Just Cause or Grenada to topple our government and seize control? We are already considered the "bad boy" of Europe, having been a nightmare in the Euro crisis, voting no to treaties and generally being at odds with the wider European community. How long until we are "brought into line" by the EU? And what could we even hope to do about it?

We have less than 10,000 professional soldiers with usually the best-equipped and trained units deployed abroad with the UN. Similarly our Naval Service is scattered with our flagship currently assigned to the Mediterranean. Our reserves are a mixed bag of gun nuts and lads in it for the cheap drink. The Gardai are mostly unarmed and unexperienced with handling firearms.

Were such an operation to be mounted, striking at the Curragh, Haulbowline and Baldonnell would have the majority of our striking power neutralised. A division or two of mechanised infantry with armour support could easily crush our dispersed brigades. Any conventional war is a forgone conclusion. Bear in mind that we do not have control of our airspace and already allow military flights through the country, any of which could easily disgorge a couple of battalions of hardened infantry with ease. We also share a land border with a regional power that could provide access for heavier units.

The initial part isn't that hard to imagine, we've seen it in Grenada, Panama, the Falklands, Aden, Malaya, it's what happens after that will scare us.

What I'm curious is about the aftermath, placing the country under martial law and establishing control. How could we maintain resistance considering we primarily are an unarmed population, trusting to our government to protect us. Would such an occupation be accepted or would civil disobedience and struggle become widespread?

The nightmare scenario sees our security forces operate as quislings and pathfinders for the main occupation force but even in the best-case scenario, I believe things would be grim for the people of Ireland.

Our rugged and wild landscape gives ample locations for the siting of internment camps and we operate a strategic location that could become important for EU/NATO control of the Atlantic. It's the people that could be the issue.

The real question is, would anyone even notice???? As for civil disobedience, we would probably be relying on Richard Boyd Barrett etc.

Maybe if we could fool the public into thinking these invaders (from North Korea no doubt) were actually part of Irish Water we might have a bit of a resistance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

There is a disused Gala store in town. Rumour has it that it is being fitted out as a Chinese takeaway but obviously it is a secret base for the arriving Allied Chinese soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I, for one, welcome our new masters. :o

• Advertisement

Whats in your bag may I ask?

This is a bit like the Bear Grylls episode on getting stranded in Donegal?

Got my hiking boots, layers (merino wool and synthetics).
    My belay jacket.
    Sleeping bag and bivvi bag.
    Groundsheet.
    Knife.
    Compass.
    Maps.
    Canteens.
    Canned food (lot of beans, some dogfood too. Got the idea off Mad Max).
    Wet layers.
    Thermal underwear.

Theres a lot of stuff but I don't want to bore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Where do you put the tent? You want clean, running water. You want food. You want shelter and concealment.

Carrauntoohill might be nice and isolated but you'll go a bit mad eating sheep and grass.

Don't worry about me, il be grand.

This is like one of those really, really, really, really, REALLY shyte Discovery channel survival thing.

They new age Irish people will never be able to band together to actually have all out protest/ resistance. Sure we'll miss Fair City with all the rioting and all that carry on.

Exactly. I think we'd fall into line fairly sharply. Not without some grumbling.

My belay jacket.
    Groundsheet.
    Knife.
    Compass.
    Maps.
    Canteens.
    Wet layers.
    Thermal underwear.

That's all going to be taken off you by a bigger boy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

My belay jacket.
    Groundsheet.
    Knife.
    Compass.
    Maps.
    Canteens.
    Wet layers.
    Thermal underwear.

What do you use as a weapon if attacked by a wild animal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

In the event of World War III, or the zombie apocalypse, our government will step up to the plate and establish a tribunal.

galljga1 wrote: »
    There is a disused Gala store in town. Rumour has it that it is being fitted out as a Chinese takeaway but obviously it is a secret base for the arriving Allied Chinese soldiers.

I don't think it'd be as outlandish as the scenario you're envisaging. Troops deployed to Ireland are likely to be from the EU, most probably Italian, French, German. There'd probably be a permanent deployment with other battalions cycling in and out for four month tours.

The real question is, would anyone even notice???? As for civil disobedience, we would probably be relying on Richard Boyd Barrett etc.

Maybe if we could fool the public into thinking these invaders (from North Korea no doubt) were actually part of Irish Water we might have a bit of a resistance??

True. Life would probably be bearable but practically living under a police state.

Falcon L wrote: »
    I, for one, welcome our new masters. :o

Got our first quisling. You'll probably be selected for advancement since you offer your services so swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The fucking schools are off for the summer aren't they?

That's all going to be taken off you by a bigger boy though.

I can take care of myself.

I'll also be steering clear of roads and doing my best to avoid human contact while doing my E and E. The SAS managed it in Bravo Two Zero so I'll do my best to emulate their example.

I have zero intention of looking fro trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Got our first quisling. You'll probably be selected for advancement since you offer your services so swiftly.
    Can I be the new Dinny O'Brain?

What do you use as a weapon if attacked by a wild animal?

The areas I'll be travelling through are mostly devoid of anything more dangerous than a cow or dog.

Contrary to popular belief, most wild animals like wolves and bears will seek to avoid you, they're more scared of us than we are of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

nothing I could do would help anyway.

its easier and much more sensible to stay here w4nking and eating crackers than to spend my time preparing a shelter and supplies only to die while crossing a ravine 1 week into whatever disaster befalls us.

which really makes for the better grave stone when you think about it.

died in a futile effort to obtain a bag of dried oats - OR - finished watching his box set and spent his last moments on gigantic-asses.com

cml387 wrote: »
    In the event of World War III, or the zombie apocalypse, our government will step up to the plate and establish a tribunal.

Our government is part of the problem. There'll be jackboots on Sackville Street by the time they convene Leinster House.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The fucking schools are off for the summer aren't they?

Sadly not yet. I'm still working for another four weeks till our one shuts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I don't think it'd be as outlandish as the scenario you're envisaging. Troops deployed to Ireland are likely to be from the EU, most probably Italian, French, German. There'd probably be a permanent deployment with other battalions cycling in and out for four month tours.

That would be the Tour de France and the Giro. Good for tourism and we might get a few more roads sorted.

nothing I could do would help anyway.

its easier and much more sensible to stay here w4nking and eating crackers than to spend my time preparing a shelter and supplies only to die while crossing a ravine 1 week into whatever disaster befalls us.

which really makes for the better grave stone when you think about it.

died in a futile effort to obtain a bag of dried oats - OR - finished watching his box set and spent his last moments on gigantic-asses.com

Why in gods name would you be crossing a ravine?

And skulking away in your shelter is a cowards way out. What about your countrymen?

I highly doubt we'll be allowed the bourgeois luxury of burying our dead in marked graves. probably be a site like a landfill or rendered down for fertiliser.

I think the internet will be the first thing to go. No need for the rest of the world to see whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Our government is corrupt and already obeys the orders of foreign officials. When the IMF came to Ireland Enda Kenny was like a proud schoolboy showing off his project to their tyrantess. There's nothing too outlandish about this. Irish water protests have probably already led them to believe us a hotbed of dissent.
    That's a bit of an odd claim, given that he was in opposition when the IMF came in.

Anyways, this forum would suit you better.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Can I be the new Dinny O'Brain?

Hope to god you don't end up the same way as him. You seem like a decent fellow.

I can take care of myself.

I'll also be steering clear of roads and doing my best to avoid human contact while doing my E and E. The SAS managed it in Bravo Two Zero so I'll do my best to emulate their example.

I have zero intention of looking fro trouble.

Iv read all the SAS books and have a signed McDonalds napkin from Andy McNabb. 'Nabbers' as he liked to be called, insisted that I put his number in my sat phone and my bin phone in case of emergencies. I also have a wallet sized picture of various knots aaaand I have a Swiss tool in my wallet.

My go bag has 72 hrs worth of all the essentials. I have 'live' and 'fight' bags dotted around Eire, only I know the co ords too. My days of geocaching is paying off.

I have multiple, secure hides set up in various locations. My pride and joy is my underground C3 Wendy house! Twas an Argos bargain, thanks Bargain Alerts!

I'm good for comms, I'm good for transport, fuel, food and water, survival and am able to take over an an official Irish figure head if the current Administration falls.

PM me your frequency when it kicks off, we can team up.

Iv read all the SAS books and have a signed McDonalds napkin from Andy McNabb. 'Manners' as he liked to be called, insisted that I put his number in my sat phone and my bin phone in case of emergencies. I also have a wallet sized picture of various knots aaaand I have a Swiss tool in my wallet.

My go bag has 72 hrs worth of all the essentials. I have 'live' and 'fight' bags dotted around Eire, only I know the co ords too. My days of geocaching is paying off.

I have multiple, secure hides set up in various locations. My pride and joy is my underground C3 Wendy house! Twas an Argos bargain, thanks Bargain Alerts!

I'm good for comms, I'm good for transport, fuel, food and water, survival and am able to take over an an official Irish figure head if the current Administration falls.

PM me your frequency when it kicks off, we can team up.

I appreciate the offer but at that stage I'll probably be tabbing my way across central Europe. I don't have a radio. My slavic languages ain't great so I decided to pass on one.

All things considered, I'll probably be interned here. If by a miracle I evade the authorities, I'll head west.

I keep a knotbook with me and a survival guide. Hope it'll keep me going.

Do you have any weapons? I was considering investing in a crossbow or air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Recent events in Texas and discussion on another thread got me wondering about Ireland's situation. How prepared are we as a country for a coup d'etat or a police action akin to Operation Just Cause or Grenada to topple our government and seize control?
    To me, the article reads like a group of rednecks having issue with a black man in the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

We could all get together and have a bit of an auld pray.......?

• Advertisement

Do you have any weapons? I was considering investing in a crossbow or air rifle.

You have a solid nomadic plan. I like that. Weapons? Just my hands and my brain. I'm kinda like if McGyver, Chun Li, Wolverine and Bear Grylls had a 4 way fcukfest.

I'd be the awesome war child that would have been produced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement