Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundup

Options
  • 27-05-2015 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Saw a post here saying Roundup is now banned in Northern Ireland for use in domestic gardens, so I asked Google and found this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/21/roundup-cancer-who-glyphosate-

Seemingly the WHO are saying that Roundup 'probably' causes cancer.

I was just about to buy some as I have a lot of brambles coming up all over the garden. Now even if I buy a different weedkiller, surely that would have the same sort of poisons in it. Has anyone heard of any scientific evidence for the claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Yup I would imagine it would be dangerous,proper ppe when using and making sure Noone decided to eat what was sprayed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's not that good on brambles anyway. There are selective killers that do much better job and won't kill the surrounding vegetation. Brushwood killers. On the farm we use Grazon 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I visited a few DIY shops yesterday to get prices of Roundup but didn't buy it yet. Can you recommend anything better for brambles?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I visited a few DIY shops yesterday to get prices of Roundup but didn't buy it yet. Can you recommend anything better for brambles?

Something like this..
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/500ml-sbk-brushwood-killer/9535/4.4.2

500ml%20SBK%20Brushwood%20Killer%20790045.jpg

I like these selective products for brambles/nettles as you can spray them liberally and not kill the surrounding grass, so you'r garden doesn't look like its been nuked !

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Unfortunately, its the only thing that will kill Japanese Knotweed :( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

_Brian wrote: »
    On the farm we use Grazon 90.

where can you get that? how much is it?

I think the SBK Brushwood Killer is the one for me. The brambles are coming up absolutely everywhere.

fryup wrote: »
    where can you get that? how much is it?

Any decent farm supplies store. Yes it's expensive, €90 for 2l. Bit for gardening there are products in most garden centres.

Can I get SBK in the DIY stores? No farm shops around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

See _Brian's post above...in Woodies.

• Advertisement

Ah, I missed that, sorry. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

_Brian wrote: »
    Any decent farm supplies store. Yes it's expensive, €90 for 2l. Bit for gardening there are products in most garden centres.

90€ for 2 ltrs,

whats the mixing rate then,

im currenly stuck with 20 Ltrs of roundupflex for €149

ive searched endlessly over the last 2 years to find an alternative in a 20Ltr drum, but roundup have it all to themselves.

P_Cash wrote: »
    90€ for 2 ltrs,

whats the mixing rate then,

im currenly stuck with 20 Ltrs of roundupflex for €149

ive searched endlessly over the last 2 years to find an alternative in a 20Ltr drum, but roundup have it all to themselves.

Gallup, same active ingredient as roundup, think its less than €110 for 20l, thats what we buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Saw a post here saying Roundup is now banned in Northern Ireland for use in domestic gardens, so I asked Google and found this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/21/roundup-cancer-who-glyphosate-

Seemingly the WHO are saying that Roundup 'probably' causes cancer.

I was just about to buy some as I have a lot of brambles coming up all over the garden. Now even if I buy a different weedkiller, surely that would have the same sort of poisons in it. Has anyone heard of any scientific evidence for the claim?
    There's no probably about it, it's just that big businesss buries studies that show the link.
    Yup I would imagine it would be dangerous,proper ppe when using and making sure Noone decided to eat what was sprayed
    Tell that to the grain farmers who spray their crops with glyphosate products to stop their harvests over ripening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's no probably about it, it's just that big businesss buries studies that show the link.

Tell that to the grain farmers who spray their crops with glyphosate products to stop their harvests over ripening.

From Central America to Sri Lanka, agricultural workers are also dying of Chronic Kidney Disease, the main culprit believed to be glyphosate.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/16/-sp-nicaragua-kidney-disease-killing-sugar-cane-workers

To ensure a food supply, I guess some sort of herbicide use is inevitable in agriculture, but it always amazes me how many people want to spray these toxins onto their lawns just because they dont like the look of some daisies or dandelions.

I think you'll find tha the problem in Central America and such places are the practices of spraying as much as the chemicals used.
    I'm not saying it's harmless but used at safe concentrations and applied appropriately they have their place in modern agriculture.

Perhaps consumers should think when choosing cheap foods imported from these countries. Corners are cut, legislation to protect workers is non existent and it allows cheap food to be churned out. Contrast that with EU legislation that protects environment, workers, consumers and animals, it costs to farm in these tight regulated markets and that often leaves EU produce dearer than say South American beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tell that to the people that buy rapeseed oil, glyphosate is used to dry the plant off so the seeds can be harvested.
    I don't buy it anymore after I found this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just sprayed the brambles and nettles with SBK yesterday, but rain is forecast today will this effect it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

Hi just wondering if anyone knows of any weedkiller that is more holistic? We recently moved houses and the previous owners had cultivated a lovely garden with various shrubs and trees around the border. Problem is, brambles are shooting up all over.
    We have two children under four and I'd prefer to stay away from the likes of round up if at all possible. I hear some people talking about the likes of vinegar and lemon juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

the goon wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone knows of any weedkiller that is more holistic? We recently moved houses and the previous owners had cultivated a lovely garden with various shrubs and trees around the border. Problem is, brambles are shooting up all over.
    We have two children under four and I'd prefer to stay away from the likes of round up if at all possible. I hear some people talking about the likes of vinegar and lemon juice?

Roundup is probably too mild for a single application against brambles, (Garlon or similar would be required), the holistic approach is to dig them out I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Cut them back to 1ft high. Then use a spray container filled with brushwood. Get it in woodies

Thanks guys, will do that. Difficult to get at as they are literally coming out through the bushes so getting at them near the root. I was thinking of using a syringe and injecting to try and get at root system and not damage the shrubs etc.

Thanks guys, will do that. Difficult to get at as they are literally coming out through the bushes so getting at them near the root. I was thinking of using a syringe and injecting to try and get at root system and not damage the shrubs etc.

The problem with many of the selectve weedkillers is that they re selective only in relation to grass. We would use Grazon90 on the farm for brambles, but it will kill anything except grass so it would most likely kill or seriously damage shrubs..

How soon can I plant in the area where I have sprayed with SBK, please? Also, another problem I have is brambles growing through a mature fuscia and ivy growing through a mature Philadelphus. Do I have to cut the bushes down in order to get at the brambles and ivy? I'm facing quite a task, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Why dont you cut the brambles and ivy at their base?
    Fuschia and Philadelphus will do fine if you cut them back hard.

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Why dont you cut the brambles and ivy at their base?
    Fuschia and Philadelphus will do fine if you cut them back hard.

Can't see the base of brambles or ivy to be honest. Both bushes are entangled to a large degree. So I suppose it all has to be cut back hard. Can I do it now, or wait?

I'm in the same position Jellybaby. The brambles are growing up through, and out of the bushes and plants. I can't get near their base so I just keep cutting them back. At the moment I am letting them alone as I wouldn't mind a nice bounty of blackberries in a few weeks!

I'm in the same position Jellybaby. The brambles are growing up through, and out of the bushes and plants. I can't get near their base so I just keep cutting them back. At the moment I am letting them alone as I wouldn't mind a nice bounty of blackberries in a few weeks!

Finally saw on the packet that it takes 6 weeks before I can plant after spraying SBK, needed my specs!

I suggest you don't let the brambles get out of hand, as I did, once they get a hold those roots become a maze underground and they can't be pulled up for love nor money, well, not by me anyway. I've been trying to get rid for years and they keep returning. The SBK is the final battle but I can see I will lose other stuff as well unfortunately. Also, if the brambles take hold, they keep travelling and end up in your neighbours garden too. My neighbours weren't very happy to see them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

So whats the story with roundup guys? My neighbour says I should immediately go out and buy as much roundup as possible before the ban date comes around.

I still can't find any concrete info on this.

• Advertisement

Ok, my understanding is that the proposed ban on the active ingredient will affect farming applications only.
    I believe it will still be available to use on a domestic situation.

Advertisement