Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are STOWA expected shipping times accurate?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Just ordered myself an Ikarus there tonight and I was being quoted "the end of April". Are these times accurate?

I guess the Guinness marketing team are right, good things come to those who wait! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭893bet

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Just ordered myself an Ikarus there tonight and I was being quoted "the end of April". Are these times accurate?

I guess the Guinness marketing team are right, good things come to those who wait! ;)

End of April is only a couple of weeks! That doesn't sound too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ya that's not bad....my Ikarus had a 5 week lead Time but was a week early...I just got a 6 week lead on their Marine

Look forward to your pics...you won't be disappointed. Its a fantastic watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Ya that's not bad....my Ikarus had a 5 week lead Time but was a week early...I just got a 6 week lead on their Marine

Look forward to your pics...you won't be disappointed. Its a fantastic watch

That's the thing! I was expecting a lot more than a couple of weeks. Was surprised that I was being quoted that.

Quick question for you. Blue hands or Black? Also, do I just pop them an email if I want something like that as it's custom?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

you won't be disappointed. Its a fantastic watch
    Though I thought they looked nice enough in pics, I had never seen a (non ancient) Stowa in the flesh until just before Christmas and when I did I was very impressed I have to say. A very very nice watch and of a quality that is not, or very rarely found at their price point or higher for that matter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Stowa are in a league of their own. I got my first a few weeks ago and its just better than any other watch ive held. The finish, weight, simplicity, and just something i cant put my finger on make it feel amazing.

The usual "amazing value considering the price" is true but id say its way better than that. It could sit with watches in the 2k + region and not be out of place.

Order and enjoy one of the best parts about watch buying, the anticipation!

• Advertisement

Thanks fret.

Also need to decide by Tuesday if I want to get blue hands and also a mesh bracelet.

That's the thing! I was expecting a lot more than a couple of weeks. Was surprised that I was being quoted that.

Quick question for you. Blue hands or Black? Also, do I just pop them an email if I want something like that as it's custom?

i got the blued hands and the onion crown...just drop Luisa an email and they will change them for you but dont leave it too late

the Marine I'm looking at is still on the cards....i tried one on when i visited factory a couple years ago...almost got it but opted for the ikarus at the time...the marine has never left my mind though

Thanks fret.

Also need to decide by Tuesday if I want to get blue hands and also a mesh bracelet.

haven't seen the ikarus on mesh...look forward to that

i got the old style brown and black leather strap...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    The usual "amazing value considering the price" is true but id say its way better than that. It could sit with watches in the 2k + region and not be out of place.
    Aye I'd agree FW. IF anything it really illustrates how over inflated the new Swiss watch prices are. A few have worked out that going on pre Swatch group marketing and especially the price hikes since the mid 90's an Omega Speedmaster should be between 1500-2000 quid. Going on 70's prices adjusted for inflation/exchange rates/wages/etc they should be closer to 1200 quid. And they're what now? Four grand or thereabouts?

They were also much "cheaper to run" back in the day too. Now with the Swatch group and others limiting or cutting off parts supplies to third party watchmakers the costs of ownership keep climbing. And it seems people keep accepting this state of affairs. Many times I've read on forums like WUS when someone(rightfully IMH) bitches and moans about the service costs and the time it takes to turnaround their watch(months rather than weeks), they will get a load of fanboys attacking them for being silly, because that's what you buy into when you buy a "luxury brand" *haughty sniff*. Never mind that Omega were never a "luxury brand". They were an expensive enough, step above your no name Swiss and the like brand, a very solid and solidly made watch but Patek they were not. Now they're being aimed as an entry level Rolex. And Rolex prices climbed like a monkey on cocaine in sympathy. We're in the wrong business lads and lasses. No way in hell would you buy a car with that kind of shenanigans.

On a Hodinkee article in the comments I reckoned that's why Longines has been making a load of inroads over the last few years. They came from being very much on the back foot, to the third most popular brand in Asia and elsewhere. Bloggists give credit to their reissue of historic watches as a reason, but I reckon a fair chunk of it is down to the fact that they are pretty much the same "price/value" they were back in the day. They're inhabiting the TAG Heuer price point of yesteryear. That sweet spot of 1000-2000 quid for much of their range. The price they would have been in 1960, or 70, or 80. What your average man and woman on the street thinks of as a luxury expenditure. Stowa and others inhabit that area and lower too. With more advertising I reckon they could get even more traction in the market, especially with the Swiss Franc in the state it's in.

End of Sat nite rant. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    i got the blued hands and the onion crown...just drop Luisa an email and they will change them for you but dont leave it too late

Placed the order on Friday. Luckily enough they're closed for easter, so I will be sending them an email on Tuesday to make those few adjustments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Wibbs wrote: »
    And it seems people keep accepting this state of affairs. Many times I've read on forums like WUS when someone(rightfully IMH) bitches and moans about the service costs and the time it takes to turnaround their watch(months rather than weeks), they will get a load of fanboys attacking them for being silly, because that's what you buy into when you buy a "luxury brand" *haughty sniff*.

Indeed - there a couple on TZ-UK (mercifully very few) who seek to proudly defend the shoddy business practices of a fair segment of the Swiss watch industry. Sometimes I get the urge to have a go back but then you realise that life is to short to engage with such ****wittage on the internet - as is often said, they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It seems to be a good sales tactic mind you CB. Increase the prices to a crazy degree(Zenith one year added a 30% increase across their existing range and kept selling), then make servicing equally pricey and exclusive and you'll wait up to a year* for a service and a segment of the market sees this as some sort of extra snob value? Then again one could argue the mid to high tier mechanical watch market are increasingly playing up that snob value. Like Ferrari and their waiting lists and where they have certain models you can't buy unless you already own a Ferrari. Ehhh… so let me get this straight Ted, I have a million quid burning a hole in my pocket and I'm willing to give it to you for one of your glorified fibre glass Fiats, that have an unfortunate tendency to self combust and you're turning me down? *dial tone… ringing* Eh hello, McLaren? I can pick it up on Tuesday you say and you'll fill her up? Sweet. Feck off Enzo.

*I've read of service wait times around that more than a few times on WUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

At least some of the problem is I think self inflicted. The watch world is bonkers. Let's be honest, there is actually very little difference between lots of watches from the bottom to the top of the market. An example of this is the 'fashion watch, ugh' attitude. Another is that watch/brand 'A' has better residuals that watch/brand 'B' argument (EG Rolex SS Sports models), where lots of buyers seem to have convinced themselves that they are actually saving money by buying Rolex. Related to the residuals argument is the fact that lots of people really hate it when the RRP of their watch is reduced. Clever brands restrict supply and keep putting their prices up just a bit every year. Steinhart are a classic example. Lovely watches IMHO but very clever in carefully controlling supply and keep putting prices up gradually. Watch collecting for many (not all of course ;)) is often compared to getting on the ladder, start with eg a Seiko and aspire to a Rolex, then an AP or a PP. Service prices and service times are part of the game and if they were too reasonable then people might ask questions about the real value of their watches.

X2.

Imagine paying 600 for a service and having it back in a week. The longer it takes is a perception of value as if "they" have been working on it non stop for a couple of weeks.

I've decided to go all out! Sure why not. Going to get the Ikarus with blued hands and a lumed tip to the second hand. Also decided to go with the Top movement with blued screws to tie in with the adjustment to the hands on the front. Rather than kick myself down the line, I might as well go for it while I can.

the lume is very good on the seconds hand, the blued hands are worth it and from what I remember were no extra cost

look forward to seeing this when you get it

the lume is very good on the seconds hand, the blued hands are worth it and from what I remember were no extra cost

look forward to seeing this when you get it

Thanks Lex and everyone else. Just need to keep an eye on my email now tomorrow so that I know they've gotten my changes.

Also, with the bracelet the measurements are 130mm, 150mm and 170mm. What's the best way to measure myself to see what size will fit. Are those measurements for the bracelet minus the watch?

Thanks Lex and everyone else. Just need to keep an eye on my email now tomorrow so that I know they've gotten my changes.

Also, with the bracelet the measurements are 130mm, 150mm and 170mm. What's the best way to measure myself to see what size will fit. Are those measurements for the bracelet minus the watch?

From memory they sent me something in post closer the time to measure wrist and they chose the right strap.

Just got an email. Delivery has been bumped to the end of may :( Was told that the company responsible for the faces or parts of the face will not be able to deliver this month as expected. Didn't think the wait would be this hard!

Just got an email. Delivery has been bumped to the end of may :( Was told that the company responsible for the faces or parts of the face will not be able to deliver this month as expected. Didn't think the wait would be this hard!

sorry to hear that...it will be worth it in the end

• Advertisement

Watch came today. Couldn't be happier. Have been looking at my wrist so much that you would swear I was a very busy man.

MbEAFlD.jpg?1
    j6xFrSz.jpg?1

Gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Oh Yeah!
    Lovely, very distinctive too, nice change from black faces. Enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

I bought a marine original 4 years ago for circa €800. I note they are now charging €1200 plus for the same watch. To be honest this has really put me off the brand. The watch is great quality and I love it, but these kind of price increases really really are annoying!

I bought a marine original 4 years ago for circa €800. I note they are now charging €1200 plus for the same watch. To be honest this has really put me off the brand. The watch is great quality and I love it, but these kind of price increases really really are annoying!

Got my order in before the price increase for May. I've been told by a friend that it's down to the movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Got my order in before the price increase for May. I've been told by a friend that it's down to the movement.

It sure is.....Upward movement!
    Still they are great watches. Laco increased their prices by nearly a third a while back as well.
    This watch addiction is not for the faint hearted:)

It sure is.....Upward movement!
    Still they are great watches. Laco increased their prices by nearly a third a while back as well.
    This watch addiction is not for the faint hearted:)

Makes it all the better of a hobby. You only appreciate something when you spend months on months saving up and waiting for the delivery :)
    Got three nice heavy duty nato straps from crown and buckle there today too for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

have to agree about the prices...getting very expensive nowadays

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Great choice...love the strap aswell

Its amazing how much the new logo looks compared to the previous logo on mine...i spotted it straight away

As for their price increases...i got a price for a marine silver dial for 970eur back in April...over 1200 now...damn

• Advertisement

Look at the bright side! Your second hand watch is now worth a little more than you paid for it!

Advertisement