Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Computing (conversion course)

Options
  • 14-04-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I was accepted onto this springboard course last sept (2012) after place opened up. Got one email telling me when and where to register at college, which I did. At the appointed time for reg they told me timetable was unavailable. Had no further communication from college and as a result missed start of term. As I have no IT background felt couldnt start two weeks late. Could I reapply this year? If I do what are my chances of acceptance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hello jo joe,

I'd just explain the circumstances, and re-apply. I'm aware of instances where a student left the year part way through and returned to it the following year.

I graduated from this course last year, so if you have any questions about the course feel free to send me a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loi09

Is this year conversion course difficult if coming from a level 8 in business management and is it worth the extra year in terms of employment chances?

It's quite difficult, but manageable if you work in a disciplined way. If you're tech savvy it will help a little. The most difficult part is probably programming (software development - which seems to be the emphasis of the course) as you will cover around two years of the regular course in one year. Last year, I'd say the attrition rate was around 50%

The course is 15 hours a week. You'll probably need to invest another 10 - 15 hours to get by, significantly more if you want to do well.

Hard to say how much it will increase your employment chances. If you do well, an entry level software developer job is within reach, or it should enhance your current qualifications paving the way for something like software project management. If you have an idea for a software product, it should give you enough know how to get started in developing it. I'd advise talking to the careers dept to get a better idea of the synergy between your own qualifications and the H.Dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jo joe

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Greatly appreciate it. I will do as you said and just re-apply for the course. I noticed that they now are offering the course over 3 semesters 2 evenings a week in addition to the 15hrs daytime. I will probably apply for both (not sure about my work situation). How did you find the course and are you working in computing/IT now? I am hoping to use the course as a good grounding in IT to get into technical writing. Also how much maths involved? Level of complexity?

Happy to help. I really liked most of the course. It covers a lot of the important elements of the degree, but obviously not at the same depth. I had a good layman's understanding of computers before going into the course (building computers and troubleshooting problems) and the interest helped a bit, but it's still an intensive course.

Might be as well to check with the careers department to see how good of a match it will be with what you got for tech writing. As a subject, tech writing isn't covered, though being familiar with how software is developed is likely to be a plus if you want to do tech writing for the software industry. There are specific tech writing courses (maybe not in LK). As a profession, it seems tough to get into.

Maths needed is close to nil. They do some hex, binary maths in one module of the course, but it's not too hard to understand. If you are good at maths, it will be an advantage for programming, but by no means necessary.

As for complexity, some subjects do cover a lot of ground. You could do okay (2:2 -> 2:1) with maybe 10 - 15 hours a week. If you want to do really well, you'll pay for each extra percent in hours : ) It seems that most people who left the course did so because they were struggling with programming. It's kinda the emphasis of the course, and probably the best chance to get a job, and there's a module in each semester. A lot of ground is covered, but it has to be that way to be worth while. Since every concept builds on and is related to others, if you fall behind it can become nightmarish trying to do assignments. If you do the work, it's managable. If you know a programmer, get them to show you how it works, might be a good way to see if you like it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

How many were in the course in terms at the start and how many of them graduated? And What was the majority of students background in terms of previous degrees.

I'd say almost 30 people turned up at one point or another. Some didn't like the course immediately and never came back, others left over the course of the year. Around 15 graduated.

Primary degrees could be anything: architecture, sports, law, teaching, english, fire and safety. Primary degree doesn't matter, as the course assumes no prior knowledge of the subjects.

I'd recommend if you have any mates that can program, get them to show you a bit, so you can see if you'll like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

Kilgore -trout, just wondering did you gain employment from this course? I have complete this conversion course in Griffith with a 2:1, finding it very difficult to gin employment. I'm considering doing a masters in IT, looking at the forscienics security in Blancharstown It. My background was construction. I've no experience in IT, found it near employment to gain any employment not from lack of trying. Just wondering how you faired out after this course? Or anybody who did this course!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭conor05

Hi Guys

I am down to start the Higher Diploma in computing in Dundalk IT conversation course.

Just wondering has anyone done this course in DKIT and did they gain employment from it if not from a computing background?

Thanks

Advertisement