Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Soap Awards 2015

• 28-04-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭

British Soap Awards bosses have given the annual ceremony a major shake-up this year, axing the Sexiest prizes and putting most of the categories in the hands of the judging panel rather than viewer votes. Only the Best British Soap category is judged entirely by the public this year.

The winner of the Best Actor and Best Actress categories is determined by a 50:50 split between the viewer votes and judge votes. The final shortlist of 5 nominees for both of these categories has now been revealed based on the first round of viewer voting and decisions from the panel.

The other categories, including Best Newcomer, Best Dramatic Performance and Best On-Screen Partnership, are all based on panel decisions alone.

This year's ceremony will take place at the Palace Theatre in Manchester on May 16 and will be hosted by Phillip Schofield, who is celebrating his 10th year fronting the event. The prizes will be presented by an array of well-known faces from across the TV and showbiz world.

Viewer voting for the Best British Soap, Best Actor and Best Actress categories re-opens via the British Soap Awards website from today (April 27) and will close on Friday, May 15 at 3pm.

The full shortlist of nominations follows below:

VIEWER VOTED CATEGORY

Best British Soap
    Coronation Street
    Doctors
    EastEnders
    Emmerdale
    Hollyoaks

VIEWER AND PANEL-VOTED CATEGORIES

Best Actor
    Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald, Coronation Street)
    David Neilson (Roy Cropper, Coronation Street)
    Danny Dyer (Mick Carter, EastEnders)
    Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale, EastEnders)
    Michael Parr (Ross Barton, Emmerdale)

Best Actress
    Alison King (Carla Connor, Coronation Street)
    Kellie Bright (Linda Carter, EastEnders)
    Laurie Brett (Jane Beale, EastEnders)
    Natalie Anderson (Alicia Metcalfe, Emmerdale)
    Nikki Sanderson (Maxine Minniver, Hollyoaks)

PANEL-VOTED CATEGORIES

Villain of the Year
    Sean Ward (Callum Logan, Coronation Street)
    Daniel Schutzmann (Franc Christophe, Doctors)
    John Altman (Nick Cotton, EastEnders)
    Ryan Hawley (Robert Sugden, Emmerdale)
    Jeremy Sheffield (Patrick Blake, Hollyoaks)

Best Comedy Performance
    Sally Dynevor (Sally Webster, Coronation Street)
    Sarah Moyle (Valerie Pitman, Doctors)
    Tameka Empson (Kim Fox-Hubbard, EastEnders)
    Laura Norton (Kerry Wyatt, Emmerdale)
    Fabrizio Santino (David 'Ziggy' Roscoe, Hollyoaks)

Best Newcomer
    Sean Ward (Callum Logan, Coronation Street)
    Jessica Regan (Niamh Donoghue, Doctors)
    Davood Ghadami (Kush Kazemi, EastEnders)
    Ryan Hawley (Robert Sugden, Emmerdale)
    Twinnie-Lee Moore (Porsche McQueen, Hollyoaks)

Best Storyline
    Steve and Michelle - Hearts And Minds (Coronation Street)
    Kevin and Poppy - Underage Girlfriend (Doctors)
    Who Killed Lucy? (EastEnders)
    Donna's Demise (Emmerdale)
    John Paul's Rape Ordeal (Hollyoaks)

Best Single Episode
    Rob's confession (Coronation Street)
    'Unfinished Business' (Doctors)
    Episode 5020 - Live Episode (EastEnders)
    Andy goes to the brink (Emmerdale)
    Ste's HIV diagnosis (Hollyoaks)

Best Dramatic Performance
    Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald, Coronation Street)
    Lorna Laidlaw (Mrs Tembe, Doctors)
    Kellie Bright (Linda Carter, EastEnders)
    Natalie Anderson (Alicia Metcalfe, Emmerdale)
    Keith Rice (Finn O'Connor, Hollyoaks)

Best On-Screen Partnership
    Sally Dynevor and Joe Duttine (Sally Webster and Tim Metcalfe, Coronation Street)
    Ian Midlane and Jessica Regan (Al Haskey and Niamh Donoghue, Doctors)
    Laurie Brett and Adam Woodyatt (Jane and Ian Beale, EastEnders)
    Verity Rushworth and Michael Parr (Donna Windsor and Ross Barton, Emmerdale)
    Ellis Hollins and Ruby O'Donnell (Tom Cunningham and Peri Lomax, Hollyoaks)

Best Young Performance
    Ellie Leach (Faye Windass, Coronation Street)
    Jack Carroll (Peter Harker, Doctors)
    Eliot Carrington (Bobby Beale, EastEnders)
    Amelia Flanagan (April Windsor, Emmerdale)
    Ruby O'Donnell (Peri Lomax, Hollyoaks)

Scene of the Year
    Deirdre throws the trifle (Coronation Street)
    Strictly dancing (Doctors)
    Kathy comes home (EastEnders)
    Donna's goodbye (Emmerdale)
    The train crash (Hollyoaks)

The recipients of the Outstanding Achievement, Outstanding Achievement: Off Screen and the inaugural Social Impact Award will be announced on the night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Still a popularity contest. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No sexiest male or female awards anymore they retired with Michelle Keegan :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No sexiest male or female awards anymore they retired with Michelle Keegan :p

tumbleweeds01.jpg

Couldn't resist. Just couldn't. :o:o:o:D:);)

Another reason why these soap awards are a popularity contest, and more than likely will remain so for the foreseeable future: no attention is paid whatsoever to the local soaps.

Obviously, most viewers outside Wales wouldn't be familiar with Pobol y Cwm or Rownd a Rownd, and most viewers outside Scotland wouldn't be familiar with River City.

But I'll bet the judging panel wouldn't have much time for these soaps, either - seeing as most, if not all, of its members work for the tabloids and the gossip magazines. :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anne Kirkbride will be honoured at this year's British Soap Awards.

The iconic Coronation Street star who played Deirdre Barlow for more than 40 years will be remembered posthumously at this Saturday's (May 16) ceremony.

Her on-screen husband William Roache and close friend Bev Callard will hand the Outstanding Achievement award out on the night, which will be collected by real-life husband David Beckett.

It will be the first time that the British Soap Awards has handed out the Outstanding Achievement gong after the recipient has died.

• Advertisement

Eastenders was the big winner

These air on this Thursday at 8pm on UTV Ireland/UTV/ITV

Eastenders was the big winner

These air on this Thursday at 8pm on UTV Ireland/UTV/ITV

The odds of the following are probably ten thousand trillion to one - but...

Imagine if there was a campaign in Wales to get Pobol y Cwm nominated for several of these awards.

And why not? It's been on the air for 40 years - almost as long as Emmerdale, just over 10 years more than EastEnders, and over 20 more than Hollyoaks.

pobol.jpg

Then imagine if that campaign succeeded. Phillip Schofield - much as I love him - would find himself having to brush up on his Welsh. :D;)

And then imagine if, in every one of the categories it was nominated in, the soap somehow managed to obtain the most votes, and thus win the award...

Millennium+Stadium+Live+Screening+Wales+v+Cfdvg9ukiuzl.jpg

cymru_am_byth_dragon_blk_tshirt.jpg?color=Natural&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

:o:o:o:D:D:D;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Do you watch Pobol Y Cwm yourself, Go Harvey Go? Any use to it. I see it's on the BBC iPlayer, so might start watching it, if the subtitles are on the player version. My iPlayer has been acting the maggot today, so at the moment can't watch a thing on it... Grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Anyone else been watching the soap awards? Just catching them now on +1.

Anyone else been watching the soap awards? Just catching them now on +1.

Not when there's singing in Vienna going on... :o:D:);)

• Advertisement

Not when there's singing in Vienna going on... :o:D:);)

What's that now...?

What's that now...?

A singing competition that's held somewhere in Europe each year - including Dublin six times, and Millstreet once...? :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kellie Bright should host something. She seems nice!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Kellie Bright should host something. She seems nice!

She does.

Felt so happy for her when she won the Best Dramatic Performance award - and slightly embarrassed to admit, but was a bit emotional for her, but she was amazing with the rape storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like the fact that there appears to be very little one-man-up-ship and that everyone in all the soaps are in it together.

Laurie and Adam seemed very, very excited about Patrick Duffy! :D

I like the fact that there appears to be very little one-man-up-ship and that everyone in all the soaps are in it together.

Yep, I like that too, there's a nice feel to it.

Patrick Duffy? On +1 so not quite at that bit yet, catch up soon :)

It was nice to see Doctors get an award - it was their first one in 6 years, and Jeremy Sheffield for Best Villain was well deserved for Hollyoaks. Finally Emmerdale getting some decent recognition for Best Scene and Young Actor, and Sally is definitely one of the few good things about Corrie in recent times, so was happy to see her get Best Comedy performance. The Anne Kirkbride and John Bardon tributes were a nice touch. And of course I'm not too surprised Eastenders cleaned up, because the build up to the 30th and the Live week itself were phenomenal.

I'm hoping next year will be the year of Emmerdale, but would be great to see more of a mix and all the soaps getting 3 or 4 awards each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Finally Emmerdale getting some decent recognition for Best Scene and Young Actor, and Sally is definitely one of the few good things about Corrie in recent times, so was happy to see her get Best Comedy performance. The Anne Kirkbride and John Bardon tributes were a nice touch. And of course I'm not too surprised Eastenders cleaned up, because the build up to the 30th and the Live week itself were phenomenal.

I'm hoping next year will be the year of Emmerdale, but would be great to see more of a mix and all the soaps getting 3 or 4 awards each.

+1.

Emmerdale was well up there with their nominations in all cases, I thought, and it was good to see them getting the recognition.
    Delighted for Sally, and definitely she and Tim are one of the few bits of Corrie worth watching now. They are my two main soaps. Some great clips from both, in the nominations.
    Callum's nomination would be the weakest link to me. He needs to study Jez Quigley (now HE was sinister) and Cain Dingle, to even vaguely appear villain like.

I watched Eastenders a bit around the time of the who killed Lucy reveal, (used to watch it years ago) and they definitely deserved their awards.

Lovely tributes to both Anne Kirkbride and John Bardon, and well deserved. Enjoyable programme all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Have they watched eastenders? How the hell is that award worthy. Been very poor and cack handed with a lot of stories that were left unfinished.

I too was excited for Patrick Duffy. The man is a legend.

Plus they played the Dallas theme song, which is one of my favourite theme songs...

• Advertisement

Adam who plays Ian Beale seems like a genuinely nice happy bloke who loves his jobs on Eastenders, glad he won best actor

Emmerdale really is the best soap so I hope next year they get many wins

Adam who plays Ian Beale seems like a genuinely nice happy bloke who loves his jobs on Eastenders, glad he won best actor

I agree. Not sure if your remember the scenes after the live episode where he was rushing by but stopped to say well done to whoever was being interviewed and he was so hyped up and seemed so lovely. Glad he won too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Agreed.
    Also on the Graham Norton special Adam / Ian seemed such a genuinely nice guy, and dedicating the Eastenders award in the NTAs, to 'the Weatherfield One' was one of the most gracious and lovely gestures, I've seen, in such situations.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Also on the Graham Norton special Adam / Ian seemed such a genuinely nice guy, and dedicating the Eastenders award in the NTAs, to 'the Weatherfield One' was one of the most gracious and lovely gestures, I've seen, in such situations.

Oh yes, forgot about that, but also thought it was such a lovely, genuine gesture.

Advertisement