Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pobol y Cwm

• 15-02-2013 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Can't believe there hasn't been a thread for this one up to now, TBH.

So, who here has seen what is basically the Welsh Ros na Rún (though it's been going for nearly forty years)? :D:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Good timing! I was just thinking about Pobol y Cwm yesterday and was going to start a thread. I haven't seen it in a long time due to not having S4C anymore.

Is there anyway to watch it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Is there anyway to watch it online?

I don't think you can watch the most recent episodes online without having, ahem, naughty software. :o;)

There are plenty of clips and even a few full episodes from 2011 on YouTube, though. :)

Here's a clip from 1991 with a young Ioan Gruffudd and the late Huw Ceredig, who played Reg Harries for nearly thirty years:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Watched this for the first time tonight, now that I'm aware the 18.00 showing on S4C are the subtitled ones.

I thought I'd be completely lost as to who everyone was and what was going on because I'd never watched before, and on top of that because my Welsh is limited to a couple of basis phrases, but I actually found it really easy to know more or less what was going on and who a lot of the characters are in relation to each other.

It really is very similar to Ros na Rún. Enjoyed it a lot - shall be sticking with it for the foreseeable future anyway.

Oh and thanks Go Harvey Go - if it weren't for your posts in the British Soap Awards thread, I may never have started watching...

• Advertisement

Oh and thanks Go Harvey Go - if it weren't for your posts in the British Soap Awards thread, I may never have started watching...

You're welcome, ASLB. :)

When I posted those rants about those awards, I honestly didn't think that I'd consequently convince any Boardsies who hadn't watched PyC before to do so... :o :eek:

But I'm quite happy I did. :D:);)

You're welcome, ASLB. :)

When I posted those rants about those awards, I honestly didn't think that I'd consequently convince any Boardsies who hadn't watched PyC before to do so... :o :eek:

But I'm quite happy I did. :D:);)

:cool:

I like what I've seen so far.

Ah here, I've only started watching and now there's a 2 week break. Typical!

Some really good episodes this week, with Gemma being found out and her breakdown in the middle of the street.

Also Garry messing with Sion and now getting a gun for Cadno... Garry is such a great villain. How many years has he been in the show, getting away with everything?

Also Garry messing with Sion and now getting a gun for Cadno... Garry is such a great villain. How many years has he been in the show, getting away with everything?

Since the early 2000s, I believe.

Here's an interview with his actor, Richard Lynch, from a few years back:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/dont-mind-your-ps-qs-1888043

• Advertisement

Since the early 2000s, I believe.

Here's an interview with his actor, Richard Lynch, from a few years back:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/dont-mind-your-ps-qs-1888043

I've asked the gang in charge of Pobol y Cwm's social media (because I'm a complete nerd) to send me a list of when each actor/character joined the show, and they said they'll get back to me during the week, because I really would love to know how long certain characters have been knockin about the village.

Looks like PyC has been doing very well for itself in recent weeks. :):)

First it succeeded in beating off Corrie, the 'Dale and the other soap heavyweights to win a Mind Media Award for the best portrayal of mental health problems:

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/pobol-y-cwm/news/a774288/soap-shock-as-pobol-y-cwm-beats-corrie-emmerdale-hollyoaks-and-holby-city-to-mind-mental-health-award/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/bbc-wales-pobol-y-cwm-media-mind

Then it won the Soap round of the Radio Times' TV Show Champion competition - again beating the national big-hitters, as well as Casualty:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-22/pobol-y-cwm-topples-casualty-to-claim-radio-times-tv-champion-2015-soap-crown

And just last week, it went back to airing five nights a week (the Wednesday episode having been dropped at the start of the year due to budget cuts). To celebrate, it unveiled a new look, which appears to have been pretty well received - I certainly like the new logo. :)

p03c3sfj.jpg

Despite all this, it will probably still be overlooked at the British Soap Awards. Wouldn't surprise me, actually, if the people in charge of these awards deliberately shun it because it's not in English... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've actually been watching this the last year and a half, more for the novelty of it being in Welsh. It's pretty decent in fairness, it has some good storylines. You pick up a bit of the lingo as well when watching it.

Pobol y Cwm has been absolutely brilliant recently. For me, it's up there with Emmerdale as the best soap. It's a shame more people here on the soap forum don't watch because it really is great, and you do start to understand some of the dialogue the more you watch - sometimes I forget I'm even reading subtitles, because I get so caught up in the story.

I'm glad Jim and Eileen cleared the air, if only so we don't have to watch Jim moping about the village anymore.

Chester is a right little s**t - if he carries on like this he'd be able to give Joffrey Baratheon or Ramsay Bolton a run for their money...

As expected, PyC's recent successes haven't interested the organisers of the British Soap Awards...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/05/26/british-soap-awards-2016-nominations-and-how-to-vote---alison-ki/

And it's probably not likely that it, or any other local soap (such as BBC Scotland's River City), will be recognised in the foreseeable future.

It doesn't help that the two major backers of these awards are the Sun and What's On TV magazine - neither of which have much time for local productions, and certainly not much time for y Gymraeg. This despite the fact that it's the first language of Huw Edwards and Alex Jones (both of whom may well be PyC fans, too).

Huw-Edwards_1567384c.jpg

130131-Alex-Jones-0148-378502.jpg

Oh, well - it's nice to dream of a scenario where Garry is named Villain of the Year, the show picks up the Tony Warren Award (recently renamed after Corrie's legendary creator), and the acceptance speeches are made in both Welsh and English, no doubt to the bemusement of most of those in the audience... :o:o:D;)

It's a shame really. Would love to see it get more recognition. The only UK soaps I bother at all with anymore are Pobol y Cwm and Emmerdale, as well as the 3 Irish soaps and Neighbours, but I consider Pobol y Cwm and Emmerdale to be the most consistently good and strongest of the bunch.

Would be great to see this get a few nominations over in the Best Soap category for the boards.ie TV Awards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=485

Go Harvey Go (or anyone else who reads this thread), have you watched the other Welsh soap Rownd a Rownd? Do you know if there's any use in it?

• Advertisement

Go Harvey Go (or anyone else who reads this thread), have you watched the other Welsh soap Rownd a Rownd? Do you know if there's any use in it?

I must admit, it's been a while since I last looked at Rownd a Rownd.

It is, of course, the Welsh Hollyoaks - though it's a bit more restrained and a bit less naughty than the Chester soap. ;)

Funnily enough, both soaps began the same year (1995), while 'Oaks creator Phil Redmond had two stints as a consultant to RaR (on its launch and its 10th anniversary respectively).

Sorry it took so long to reply, BTW - I've repeatedly gotten carried away these last four weeks. :o:);)

I must admit, it's been a while since I last looked at Rownd a Rownd.

It is, of course, the Welsh Hollyoaks - though it's a bit more restrained and a bit less naughty than the Chester soap. ;)

Funnily enough, both soaps began the same year (1995), while 'Oaks creator Phil Redmond had two stints as a consultant to RaR (on its launch and its 10th anniversary respectively).

Sorry it took so long to reply, BTW - I've repeatedly gotten carried away these last four weeks. :o:);)

No worries. Gave it a shot, but couldn't really get into it. Think I'll just stick with Pobol y Cwm, which is great at the moment.

Great couple of cliffhangers there before next week's break... :eek:

I have a horrible feeling that they're building up for something really really bad to happen to either Iolo or Sion, possibly both.

This week's episodes with just a handful of characters overall, and Sion's scenes being away from the village were class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Thanks for posting about this. I've watched 3 episodes so far and am loving it :)

Thanks for posting about this. I've watched 3 episodes so far and am loving it :)

It's on top form at the moment so good time to be jumping on board, but even a poor episode is still great. The cast are all great and it's obvious the writers know and care about the characters.

Yeah between this and Ros na Run I'm all set, amazing what can be done in smaller budgets when you have good writers and actors.

Compared to the likes of Fair City :pac:

I also spotted something I think is called "round and round"? On Tuesday's and Thursday's only 30mins as well.

I have a record set for it anyway is it new anyone know? Seems to be a soap anyway

Yeah between this and Ros na Run I'm all set, amazing what can be done in smaller budgets when you have good writers and actors.

Compared to the likes of Fair City :pac:

I also spotted something I think is called "round and round"? On Tuesday's and Thursday's only 30mins as well.

I have a record set for it anyway is it new anyone know? Seems to be a soap anyway

Round a Round is good as well - it's kinda like if Pobol y Cwm/Ros na Rún and Hollyoaks had a baby... It's 21 years going at this stage, and again the writer's seem to know the characters well.

The S4C player has the last months worth of episodes of Pobol y Cwm if you're interested in getting up to speed a bit quicker... http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=531290739

You'll also find Rownd a Rownd on there, but it's only back from summer break so there's only the last 2 episodes of last season and the first 2 of this season on there at the moment...
    http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=529479655

There's a button to turn subtitles on once the episode starts playing. I actually really like the S4C player, they throw one ad in at the beginning and then leave you to your show, plus google chrome automatically translates the pages for me which makes it easier to navigate.

Sometimes the simplest storylines are the best - Mark buying the milk to give DJ an excuse to go talk to Cadno and all the scenes resulting from that were lovely.

• Advertisement

Jesus I hate that lady that's treating her bf like **** the ones who were looking at buying the flat recently.

Pure emotional abusive rap, he should kick her out the door!

Advertisement