Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Terrible episode. A whole load of meh.

Looking forward to Jorah getting a scrap in at some point anyway (assuming they won't **** it up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I have to say that I usually don't post on these threads, but I was completely pissed off with that Sansa scene. Don't see how it was necessary and I would have thought HBO would have learned from last year's mess up with Cersei. It seemed unnecessary and a purely a way to generate outrage and seperate their series from the books. I put the Cersei episode last year down to really messing up the tone of the scene, but obviously that was not the case. I would agree with earlier posters that it really was one of the weaker episodes of the show so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The obvious signposting is starting to bother me. Bronn talks about how it'd be a horrible way to go, poisoned by a sand snake. Cue a lingering shot of his arm cut in a fight with a sand snake.

How obvious was it that they were going to wheel out Loras Tyrells blonde lover?

I enjoyed how Aryas scenes looked, very atmospheric, but kind of boring. Felt the same when I read it tbh.

Sansas rape wasn't actually as depraved as I thought it was going to be. I don't really understand how it's furthering the story though.

Someone mentioned that it's become a bit random, I agree. It's kind of random scenes of people we know with no real reason for them to do the things they are doing.

I fear they are going to dreadfully underutilise Doran Martell too.

Only the Wall still feels true to the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

It was quite bizarre just how poor the whole Dornish scene was, but when you remove that part of the story I really don't think it was that bad of an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

"Oh for fuuck sake" - Well said Bronn, well said :pac:

That last scene was so f*cking messed up, if something similar doesn't happen to Sansa come The Winds of Winter then what the hell are Dan and David playing at. Small mercies they didn't show anything or involve Theon that way. Although by that token I'd been enjoying Ramsey since we first met him until this episode.

Bronn was generally hilarious. The Sandsnakes are dire but hopefully we'll get to see Doran sort them out. If they kill Bronn because of that little scratch then I don't know. The scene with Myrcella and Tristane was nice and pleasant, something you don't get to say too often :pac:

A clever way to get Tyrion and Jorah to Meereen without involving all the little sideshows.

Will we get to see Cat of the Canals next week I wonder?

I'm still enjoying this season when I can supress my inner book reader, it's nearly easier than any other season to do that as we don't really know how certain plotlines pan out.

No Missandworm this episode :) I'm thankful for small mercies.

I'm getting the impression something big is brewing that even us as book readers haven't got a clue about, no idea what it is though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

As much as I hate the abuse of the Stark family and Sansa in particular, we must remember she did replace Jeyne Poole in the show. I'm just wondering if the show kept true to Jeyne Poole , would everyone be angry over the rape scene we saw today with her taking Sansa's place ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I also liked the confirmation that Arya didn't kill The Hound.

There was no ambiguity there to begin with sure? She was clearly shown not killing him last season.
    As much as I hate the abuse of the Stark family and Sansa in particular, we must remember she did replace Jeyne Poole in the show. I'm just wondering if the show kept true to Jeyne Poole , would everyone be angry over the rape scene we saw today with her taking Sansa's place ?

No it wouldn't have been an issue then but only because Jeyne Poole is a nothing character, Sansa being raped by Ramsey feels like a bit of a step backwards for her character is the issue most people have with it I think.

Pretty weak episode bar one or two scenes as most have said. The part with the sand snakes had to be one of the most poorly staged and clunky scenes in the entire show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I suppose everyone was wondering would they directly replace Jeyne Poole with Sansa and it seems they have. I suppose Sansa has been married twice times now so surely at some stage she was going to lose her virginity.

There wasn't much Sansa could do in that situation so there was no point in her trying. She just let him get on with it and seems to be a bit smarter and maybe biding her time in this situation. She will get her own back I believe. She has known since LF told her she would be marrying him that she was probably going to have to have sex with him.

I reckon Theon telling her the truth about Rickon and Bran will happen pretty soon. Had thought Theon was going to kill Ramsay or when Sansa put her hand to sleeve I thought she was about to pull a knife and do it herself.

Ya Dorne is terrible and i did enjoy it in the books. Mainly because we see Dorans over all plan. That doesn't seem to be happening in the TV show so that has made all this pretty pointless so far.

Think I prefer the way the high sparrow/cersei/Margarey played out so far in the books.

Tommen has no male authority figure to guide him through and is still only supposed to be very young so can understand him being so tame.

I thought Ayra was getting slapped because she said she killed the hound and she "hated" him and the faceless man was hitting her because the "hate" part had become a lie but maybe I was just reading into it too much.

The next 4 episodes need to really ramp it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It was brutal tonight. Last season finished with 3 big episodes. I don't think this one can match last season. There's a woefully load of farting around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Jofspring wrote: »
    Bronn said two really interesting things in tonight's episode.

1. "This song's all about the ending"

When Jaime interrupted him singing The Dornishman's Wife. Maybe a reference to this season and big events involving Stannis, Jon Snow and Daenerys especially in the final few episodes.

2. "Oh for fcuk's sake"

When the Sand Snakes were introduced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Terrible episode in all regards. As Olena QoT would say "you can smell it five miles away".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thought that was finally Brown Ben Plumm that captured Mormont and Tyrion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I suppose everyone was wondering would they directly replace Jeyne Poole with Sansa and it seems they have. I suppose Sansa has been married twice times now so surely at some stage she was going to lose her virginity.

There wasn't much Sansa could do in that situation so there was no point in her trying. She just let him get on with it and seems to be a bit smarter and maybe biding her time in this situation. She will get her own back I believe. She has known since LF told her she would be marrying him that she was probably going to have to have sex with him.

I reckon Theon telling her the truth about Rickon and Bran will happen pretty soon. Had thought Theon was going to kill Ramsay or when Sansa put her hand to sleeve I thought she was about to pull a knife and do it herself.

Ya Dorne is terrible and i did enjoy it in the books. Mainly because we see Dorans over all plan. That doesn't seem to be happening in the TV show so that has made all this pretty pointless so far.

Think I prefer the way the high sparrow/cersei/Margarey played out so far in the books.

Tommen has no male authority figure to guide him through and is still only supposed to be very young so can understand him being so tame.

I thought Ayra was getting slapped because she said she killed the hound and she "hated" him and the faceless man was hitting her because the "hate" part had become a lie but maybe I was just reading into it too much.

Only problem is that Sansa didn't know a thing about Ramsey and just how evil she is. She found herself in over her head, again, when her character development at the end of last season suggested she was done being a pawn.

Yet here she is in this horrible house of horrors having been played by LF. I think it's incredibly frustrating to watch which will only be saved by an incredible pay off for Sansa's character.

Such pay offs are rare in this show though, particularly when it comes to the Starks. Even when D&D deviate from the books it's a Stark that gets literally fcuked over. That's what I find so particularly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Only problem is that Sansa didn't know a thing about Ramsey and just how evil she is. She found herself in over her head, again, when her character development at the end of last season suggested she was done being a pawn.

She's still learning though. Watch the scene with Myranda. She shows steel but after Myranda leaves you can tell she is rattled.

She was getting slapped because she was insisting that she hated the Hound and that was a lie. Lying to herself even.

She didnt hate the Hound, much as she wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I find it easy to separate the books vs the series so alot of changes don't bother me. I'm also of the opinion that this latest act of cruelty to Sansa may actually make rather than break her ... "Unbroken". There's going to be alot of retribution coming to Winterfell, the candle in the window at the top of the tower is getting lit.

Sand snakes again were awful, GRMM in the books really sold them to me so that's my greatest gripe, they're all bland (looking and acting).

Waiting for the High Sparrow to turn on Cersei, it's going to be a great run-in to close the series.

How did Tyrion know about Lord Commander Mormont?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They built up the Dorne stuff a lot during the year, and I was disappointed that they were including the Sand Snakes and leaving out the Greyjoys.

Bloody hell the Sand Snakes have turned out to be lame, they were crap in the books, but they are a joke in the show. Like 3 random girls picked off the street and dressed in armour, and told here, fight those guys (Bronn & Jamie didn't look too convincing now either), the Sand Sankes look completely inept. :rolleyes:

Still enjoying the show, but the Dorne scenes could not be worse.

Just walk into the Water Gardens, really!

Was fully expecting Bronn to get killed by Aero Hotah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

razorblunt wrote: »
    I find it easy to separate the books vs the series so alot of changes don't bother me. I'm also of the opinion that this latest act of cruelty to Sansa may actually make rather than break her ... "Unbroken". There's going to be alot of retribution coming to Winterfell, the candle in the window at the top of the tower is getting lit.
    I'd agree with this; the rape was simply a set up for the revenge she'll take on him. If she'll feed him to the dogs, cut of his prick or what ever it will be but I'm quite certain she'll get her revenge for it all and it will be a dish served very cold (Winter is coming); I guess in many ways it basically becomes a merge of Sansha and the Lady Stoneheart arc in a sense (i.e. she'll go from innocent girl to full blown kill everyone kind of personality).
    Sand snakes again were awful, GRMM in the books really sold them to me so that's my greatest gripe, they're all bland (looking and acting).
    They have been a laughing stock through out the whole thing; I'd have preferred to have that arc cut as much as it pains me to say because those girls can't fight or act (or simply not given enough guidance).
    Waiting for the High Sparrow to turn on Cersei, it's going to be a great run-in to close the series.
    Only question for me is if they'll end the series with her walking back naked or not to the castle and if / whom will be the people she's accused to have had sex with outside of marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not as good as previous episodes, probably the worst since last season's finale.

Really didn't like the Dorne scenes this week. Everything was just too simple, Jaime and Bronn just waltz into the water gardens in a couple of scenes and the less said about their fight with the sandsnakes the better.

Also wasn't expecting the wedding so soon. I thought/hoped the horns would sound during it in a GOT take of 'speak now or forever hold your peace'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought Lancel would be the obvious one to bring Cersei down.

Am more wondering how Margery proves her innocence if the high sparrow was there for her crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Nody wrote: »
    Only question for me is if they'll end the series with her walking back naked or not to the castle and if / whom will be the people she's accused to have had sex with outside of marriage.

Pretty straightforward really, they had her have relations with Brother Lancel back when he was still plain old Lancel Lannister when Jamie was rotting in a cell in the Riverlands. I think given the screen time he has been given in a role which could easily have been fulfilled by anyone of the High Sparrow's random henchmen, he has to be there for a reason and I think it is a vehicle for the walk of shame. None more holy than one of the Faith Militant or the Most Devout or whatever moniker they are going by.

Personally I think there will have to be some sort of resolution at the wall, they seem to be setting it up for Jon vs. The Watch and the roads that that will lead down..."For the Watch"

Whatever else about Dorne, I just can't past the freaking elf shoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I thought Lancel would be the obvious one to bring Cersei down.

Am more wondering how Margery proves her innocence if the high sparrow was there for her crime.

In the books she isn't innocent though? She still has to go to trial?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pretty straightforward really, they had her have relations with Brother Lancel back when he was still plain old Lancel Lannister when Jamie was rotting in a cell in the Riverlands. I think given the screen time he has been given in a role which could easily have been fulfilled by anyone of the High Sparrow's random henchmen, he has to be there for a reason and I think it is a vehicle for the walk of shame. None more holy than one of the Faith Militant or the Most Devout or whatever moniker they are going by.
    The problem is he's already confronted Cersei about it and joined them yet he has not confessed about it? It simply does not add up to me that's all; hence why I'm wondering if there's someone else instead.
    Daith wrote: »
    In the books she isn't innocent though? She still has to go to trial?
    In the book Blackkettle was claiming he had sex with her and this is why she was not a virgin; between that character is not in the series and she's already had her wedding night that's a no go as a story arc and they appear to want to go with the "lying to to a representative of the seven" instead as the justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Would have much preferred if they had scraped the Dorne story line altogether!

Instead have the Greyjoy story line and Jaime resolve the feud in the river run.

Also am I the only one expecting Highgarden to pay the church in food (depleting their stocks for the winter months as the food will be handed out to the poor leading into a starving arc in the seasons to come when the winter really hits) for the release of their people who are imprisoned? Cersei I'd expect to be released with the promise of King Weaksauce to be tutored by the church or similar and a promise not to have sex until married or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Jofspring

So as it stands do people feel since they have deviated from the books that they are making a balls of it?

Weaker writing, weaker actors, weaker production value.

Has a lot of what's been great about it been that they have followed the storylines from great books but now when they are going their own way they are doing a poorer job or are people happy with it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hstlefay wrote: »
    IHow did the rape really further the plot? We already hated Ramsey! .

The pedant in me has to point out that what Ramsey did would not be considered rape at all in Westeros

Weirdly, it wasn't rape in Ireland until the 1980s

Anyway I've stopped caring, dodgy acting, dodgy script, silly fight scenes.

The books fell off a cliff quality wise around this point too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

hstlefay wrote: »

Why bother letting her escape Joff/Kings Landing only to have this happen to her anyway?

How did the rape really further the plot?

This was established in Episode 3 this season. Littlefinger and Sansa stop at Moat Cailin and he informs her of the proposed marriage. Sansa is initially disgusted as she knows this means dealing with things that will happen like her bedding. But following the promise of revenge she finds courage and rides to Winterfell.

What threw Sansa was Ramsay making Reek watch, previous to that she isn't as traumatized. Another poster highlighted how she rattled Myranda but following Myrandas exit, Sansa appears quite rattled by the exchange.

Her rape was inevitable once she left Moat Cailin, yet she rode. The removal of her wedding gown has similar imagery to an angel losing her wings. Season 1-3 Sansa would have ran, but she rides for vengance for her murdered Brother and her murdered Mother...............and Winter IS Coming.
    My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

That Dorne fight scene was straight out of Xena, good shout.

All I could think about while watching the Sandsnakes / Jamie & Bronn / Hotah & co fight was the battle scene from Anchorman with the different news teams.. bar the lad going around with a grenade... awful stuff, but it did make me laugh

fight.jpg

Advertisement