Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S506 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - Have Read the Books

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

"Sansa" was always going to be deflowered in brutal fashion given the setting of A TV Show! Shes never even been a particularily nice or empathic character.

Imo the "rage" surrounding her rape at the hands of one of GoT most sadistic characters is because in reality we have watched the actress Sophie Turner mature from childhood naivety to womanhood & its for that reason people are outraged.

Sansa the character was never going to have her Knight in Shining Armour ride in & save her from the fate of being sold off to solidify the power of men & their houses.

Given we have diverged from the books & they cut away at start of rape with Reek squirming under what I felt could be Theons re-emergence & possibly (maybe too hopeful given I think theres so many plot possibilities of Stark/Bolton wedding) whacking Ramsey over head with red hot poker (oh the irony!)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was anyone actually outraged by the rape scene though? I would have thought most of the criticism is because it seems like a rather unnecessary divergence from the book and feels like a backward step in her overall story? Obviously that opinion could change depending on how things play out from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was anyone actually outraged by the rape scene though? I would have thought most of the criticism is because it seems like a rather unnecessary divergence from the book and feels like a backward step in her overall story? Obviously that opinion could change depending on how things play out from here on.

If Im honest I cringed all the harder thinking I knew what was coming and being super horrified at what might have been - I was almost relieved when it wasnt as bad as it could have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Not posted in this forum before, read the books a couple of times]. Generally liked the tv series thus far, no issue with it going away from the books etc

But watched episodes 5 and 6 last night and really was left thinking that same thought someone used on page one of this thread, that its really turning into Xena style soap opera, except with added titillation. The writing and some of the plot arc's are insane. Jamie and Bronn plot just stupid, no way they would get close to key Dorne royalty.

There are some good plot arc's and the base story is great, but there is so much utter rubbish and terrible dialog this season, wonder if key members of script team left or something?

Regarding your xena comment, you nailed it.
    that fight scene in the garden looked terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Theon?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Locke, but he's no family member. Then again neither has the Frey's or the Greyjoys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

viztopia wrote: »
    Theon?

He's still alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Yes but minus a few body parts. Also in the book his father is dead

quote="duploelabs;95553758"]He's still alive[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think people just forgot that with a wedding comes a bedding. Sansa returned to Winterfell for revenge. It was unlikely she was going to get it before she was wed and Roose needed to act swiftly. Sansa & Littlefinger knew that laying with that fúcking creep (but no-one knew Reek would be made watch) was inevitable and part of the plan.

In a way this will progress her arc further not back, she has sacrificed her maidenhead/innocence and is accessing her surroundings and the people around her. Despite the initial shock of the bedding ultimately I think she will grow stronger and colder.

And there is a factor that viewers have seen Sophie grow up over these 5 years and yearn for her to find happiness. And i think she will find happiness.....when she's bathing in Bolton Blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think people just forgot that with a wedding comes a bedding. Sansa returned to Winterfell for revenge. It was unlikely she was going to get it before she was wed and Roose needed to act swiftly. Sansa & Littlefinger knew that laying with that fúcking creep (but no-one knew Reek would be made watch) was inevitable and part of the plan.

In a way this will progress her arc further not back, she has sacrificed her maidenhead/innocence and is accessing her surroundings and the people around her. Despite the initial shock of the bedding ultimately I think she will grow stronger and colder.

And there is a factor that viewers have seen Sophie grow up over these 5 years and yearn for her to find happiness. And i think she will find happiness.....when she's bathing in Bolton Blood.

Agree completely, this is the finally stripping of what innocence sansa had left, she was supremely naive for a long time and expected everything to be a very proper, lords and ladies sort of life. Thats well and truly gone now, it'll be interesting to see if she'll grow stronger or be damaged completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yes, she went into this with her eyes open, at this stage she is willing to do what it takes. As both Tyrion and Little finger observed she had natural talent if she applied it. She is still a bit squeamish but that makes her human and not a monster like Cercie who we seen her parallel with earlier during the battle scene.
    I'm not sure share the reaction is coming from, it may be the straw that broke the camel's back or it could be Sansas relatableness makes it more uncomfortable but it's an important development in her arich and one she hasn't got in the books.
    I think viewers may be disappointed if their hoping for anyone to find happiness, Sansa is the worst bet unless becoming a scheming self serving manipulator like Sercie is their idea of a happy ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Standman wrote: »
    I get that people find it uncomfortable for that happen to a character they like, but I don't understand how you can say it's a regressive narrative move. If that's a regressive narrative move then so was Ned Starks execution, the red wedding, etc.

The one major thing that has set GOT apart from many other shows is that it doesn't let someones idea of how a story should progress dictate the plot. We don't have any "safe" characters that we can latch onto as the hero who is above being killed off or tortured. Shit happens, essentially.

I disagree. Ned's execution and the red wedding etc. were pretty much the point of those characters (Ned and Robb), or were events caused by their central character flaw - honour to the point of stupidity. At the moment the only quibble I have with Sansa's scene is that it didn't really need to be shown/heard at all, but I know I'm watching the wrong show for squeamish concerns like that.

When I WILL have a concrete problem, and when this will become a regressive narrative move, if is Sansa and Ramsey just turns into Joffrey 2.0, then Ser Dontos Theon bundles her off somewhere else.

Sansa annoyed the piss out of me in the books, she's one of the rare characters I actually like a lot more in the show, and a lot of that is down to Sophie Turner. There's a lot more potential in the performer and character, potential that was touched on this season and last, than: is abused by the frying pan, cries, jumps into the fire, abuse, cry, rinse, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

On the Sansa topic it's important to note the producers have essentially used Sansa to replace fake Arya for this season as Sansa's arc so far in the show reached the end of AFFC at the end of last season when she headed out into the Vale with Littlefinger. Purely from a TV production point of view it makes sense to keep one of your main stars on the payroll rather than introducing a new character and thus new actress purely to have her victimised by Ramsey.

I 100% believe it will stand more to the characters for Sansa and Theon when the redemption eventually comes than it would have had they followed ADWD strictly. The books plotline only looks like offering some sort of middling redemption to Theon before he meets his impending death (imo). This way it opens up the possibility of him getting true redemption (the forgiveness of a Stark) and revenge against his tormentor while also strengthening another main character in Sansa.

It's very easy to jump the gun but I really don't think this is just "abused, rinse, repeat" for Sansa, she's definitely getting closer to her story's culmination and I think it's going to rock. The North remembers. Let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Standman wrote: »
    I get that people find it uncomfortable for that happen to a character they like, but I don't understand how you can say it's a regressive narrative move. If that's a regressive narrative move then so was Ned Starks execution, the red wedding, etc.

The one major thing that has set GOT apart from many other shows is that it doesn't let someones idea of how a story should progress dictate the plot. We don't have any "safe" characters that we can latch onto as the hero who is above being killed off or tortured. Shit happens, essentially.
    Danerys and Tyrion. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

For me the final scene was more about Theon and his development than it was about Sansa.

We know Sansa has revenge on her mind - hates the Boltons etc. and ultimately knew what she was getting herself into.

For the viewer Theon has been nothing more than a coward and a sub-servant of Ramsey's. Sansa will be his breaking point and the control Ramsey has over him will start to diminish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tyrion wrote:
    She should have offered her ****. The best part of her for the best part of me
    This is a society where a highborn lady's only "value" lies between her legs. For Sansa to gain any agency in Winterfell, she had to use the currency she has: her name and her body. The last scene was tame imo. Leave out the presence of Reek in the room and can you imagine Walda Frey's wedding night with Roose was much different? Cersei's wedding night with Robert? Go back further and Catelyn's wedding night with Eddard would only have been different in that he'd have been kinder and gentler: she'd have been a young girl who'd only have met the cold, dour man she was expected to have sex with that day! Hell, we were even shown Danaerys' wedding night to a man she came to refer to as her "moon and stars".

Marriage in this world is a contractual affair rather than one of the heart (it's even commented on as an oddity in the World book when character do marry for love!).

Sansa getting treated roughly is part of her story, it's not a step back for her character at all. While Ramsey was brutal, she accepted it. She didn't try to run or fight back, she did her "duty" to her husband and, I'd be damn well surprised if this isn't part of her arc: she'll play the role of the meek wife until she gets her chance for vengeance, quite probably by murdering Walda Frey and pinning it on Ramsey (though Roose caring enough about an unborn child or a wife he married for money to kill his only heir may be a stretch to his character imo). Wars are rarely won without losing a few battles or suffering wounds.
    A womans battles are fought in the birthing bed
    and with this scene, Sansa has entered the fray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I do wish they showed a bit more loving interaction with Roose and Fat Walda - in the book he liked his fat wife!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I do wish they showed a bit more loving interaction with Roose and Fat Walda - in the book he liked his fat wife!!

Fat Walda is coming off pretty well actually. Which means she will probably be dead soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Daith wrote: »
    Fat Walda is coming off pretty well actually. Which means she will probably be dead soon.

She does seem very nice doesn't she. She'd make a great ingredient in a new and improved Bolton pie...

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

So well said @Sleepy exactly what I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I liked this episode apart from the Dorne scenes. They just seem out of place to me. I found myself checking my phone during them as they really didn't appeal to me.

I think that the Ramsey/Sansa storyline had to start off this way in order for her to have any sort of 'victory'. She knew she'd have to sleep with him. I thought the scene, while disturbing, was very well done.

I was going to re-read the books again as I had forgotten about some of the newer characters but since the show is deviating from the books so much I don't think I'll bother until GRRM gives us a date for the new book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

At first I didn't like the shows deviation of Sansa marrying Ramsey but now I think its actually an improvement. It should give more meaning to certain caracters actions (Theon, Stannis and Jon)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

After this episode will sansa become lady stoneheart and theon the ghost of winterfell? Both of them broken with nothing but vengeance on their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    After this episode will sansa become lady stoneheart and theon the ghost of winterfell? Both of them broken with nothing but vengeance on their minds.

It's looking that way. All Reek needs is one conversation with Sansa to regain some Theon and once he tells her the he never killed Bran and Rickon I reckon they'll make an unexpectedly good pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I admit I was a bit shocked about Sansa, and when that happens, I find myself wondering why. It felt like Sansa's virginity had taken on a life of its own, becoming a character in the story, and we hoped it would have a happy ending. It had already had at least two narrow escapes - firstly from Joffrey, who died before he could jump Sansa, and then from Tyrion, who was practicing being "noble". I think we all agree that the man who killed it will pay a very high price for doing so.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Beaten to it.

Advertisement