Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Bets

Options
  • 11-02-2015 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭

Let's face it, the Eurovision has turned into a crock of s1yite. A fancy dress competition, teleconference call and a miming showcase extravaganza to go along with it all.

This year however Australia^ is welcomed into the circus of flag bearers.

Currently its going short with up to x15 still available for the Southern-Hemispherians.
    oddschecker[dot]com - tv - eurovision - winner

Does the former user 'insidertips' or any 'novelty betting frenzy' fans fancy the chances of our antipodean cousins? ^ Australia is not in Europe btw.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The best price is now only x9 (from x15 a few hours earlier) for the Aus to win.
    Sounds like being mistaken for Austria has finally paid off!
    Russel Crow to hold the torch/guitar 500/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

What about that famous (Victorian State born) douze pointe euro-balladeer...
    ... Johnny Logan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wouldn't be too confident on Australia, the voting blocks will still hold too much sway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pbemff

Australia would be my each way bet. Not heard any of the songs and am not going to watch. But the Aussies are going to get a lot of votes out of curiosity and a lot of political 2nd place votes. They might not win it but each way would be a very good chance. IMO.

Huge variance with Aus from x10 (lads) x17 (sky) right up to x30 (betfair). Top 3 surely even as warm handed token gesture.
    Slovenia going short across the board, but x15 still available (whill). Italy (fav) as low as x2.6, struth.

A safe win only here is Estonia x5 and the emerging new EUA (nato) has their tanks there already on friendly drive-bys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Finland, Italy or Malta of the ones I've seen.

I'm not sure the novelty factor of Australia is enough - but they'll get some votes no matter who they enter.

Aus: One factor is that as a new world country, they have boat loads of varied EU stock living there, plenty of Ire/UK locals along with lots of Turks, Ita, Scandis etc whom may offer dix points from voters towards great auntie/uncle sipping their Toohey's New down on the beach.

AFAIK only StanleyJ offer this as part of an 'e/w accum' (no other way to approach these novelties).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

sofabet[dot]com is a good site for eurovision betting analysis and opinion is anyone is interested.

I like the sound of italy & sweden so far.

Handy link, though for a chap making 6-figures {soley from eurovision?}, yon Sofabet needs a snazzier pimpin' website for himself.
    He's intro is right though, a catchy hook and sing-song-along chorus line that sticks like glue shall be the winner.

Haven't read the rest of the '22 paragraphs', so non the wiser and unlikely to buy the ESC double album.

One user poll with fairly significant user count has Albania at the top and Ire in Top10.

Some chatter also about Poland being the dark horse of the entire competition. Odds of x101 right up to x526! available. This entry certainly has the wheels to push it up into the front the voter's recall and across instagram (ala the new fb/tw). Would be nice to see the young lady do well or win, likely to become one of the peoples favourites closer to 23 May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

This entry certainly has the wheels to push it up into the front

:eek::eek:
    Jaysus, real classy making fun of a woman in a wheelchair.

Not intentional, just giving a visual hint to an unique aspect of the performer, have backed at 100/1 as part of an accum would be keen for a win. Before the car accident she was already an active musician/performer/artist so isn't using it as a selling point. Just a singer in a song contest.

Is also a non-geo-politico factor unlike some previous years entries, which may or may not have been trying to stick a finger up to certain regions/countries and their policies.

Any thoughts on Finland's entry at 20/1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

OK, sorry for thinking you were being crass.

In Poland though she's pretty much seen as washed up. Poland will prob do OK, when you consider Poles make up large minority groups in most of Western and Central Europe now and as such they make a lot of votes via text messages/calls for their homeland.

I'd love to see those Finns winning. Seems like a really cool bunch of lads, there's a pretty good documentary about them on the interwebs too. I dunno though, I think they mightn't be camp enough for the traditional Eurovision fan.

True enough, it's become something of a drag show and catchy non-offensive slightly-left ballad karoke competition. e/w 4 places on the outsiders worth considering (within accumulators), will check back on that sofabet chap closer to the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Finland would be my bet atm

Certainly some great value at the moment for the Fins 'win only' at anywhere between x11-14-20-23. When you consider back in March they were 3rd fav. SJ only offering x12 (one of the few books to allow Novelties as part of accums with regular sports).

This from a BBC article back in March 1st:
    "We don't want people to vote for us to feel sorry for us, we are not that different from everybody else - just normal guys with a mental handicap." They are 5/1 to win the contest, according to Betfred, making them third favourites behind Italy and Estonia.
    Heavy metal band Lordi gave Finland its only Eurovision win to date with Hard Rock Hallelujah in 2006.

Update on Euro-karoke '15:

Australia now currently only available at x5.0 (1/3 of the early x15 market price).
    Great value presently available for Finland at up to x23 for e/w 1,2,3 (some 4 places).
    Added wildcard Poland as 'win only-enhanced' to another accum as x601 is just generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 betman00

Here is my tip. Do this and you'll have a guaranted profit.
    30 euros on Estonia 90 euros profit (if wins)
    100 euros on Sweden 77 euros profit (if wins)
    20 euros on UK 810 euros profit (if wins)
    20 euros on Norway 370 euros profit (if wins)
    20 euros on Slovenia 370 euros profit (if wins)
    20 euros on Albania 1410 euros profit (if wins)

betman00 wrote: »
    30 euros on Estonia 90 euros profit (if wins)
    100 euros on Sweden 77 euros profit (if wins)
    * 20 euros on UK 810 euros profit (if wins) FINLAND.

Pondering on this event for value returns, do like this creative approach, but would highly recommend swapping UK out for Finland in * as I've edited in above. Make sure you're getting at least 1/4 for 1,2,3 & 4. Will throw up some euro cheese blurb shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

betman00 wrote: »
    30 euros on Estonia 90 euros profit (if wins) 12s x 30/390...180 profit
    100 euros on Sweden 77 euros profit (if wins) 2s
    20 euros on UK 810 euros profit (if wins) 50s

famous last words
    limited to one bookie there Im assuming given the returns are far great by shoping around
    you're completely ruling out 2nd/3rd +5th favs in the betting (italy,aus russia)
    you can save yourself 20 euro straight away by not backing the uk

I hope you didn't join just to post that

• Advertisement

Pondering on this event for value returns, do like this creative approach, but would highly recommend swapping UK out for Finland in * as I've edited in above. Make sure you're getting at least 1/4 for 1,2,3 & 4. Will throw up some euro cheese blurb shortly...

do three figure priced countries ever win this contest?
    off the top of my head i remember the olsson brothers were around40/50/1 when denmark won it but dont remember any big priced winners since but theres a few i didnt invest in either over the years

With just 7 days to go, 100/1's is asking too much for a win, e/w top four is still x25 though.

Agree the uk's entry is toilet, then again it features plenty of 'jazz hands' which could maybe appeal to the viewing demographics.
    Little chance of Ruska winning unless they're doing a flash gas summer sale to nearby states.
    Forget about Australia, top 5 surely just as a novel gesture.

not sure who'll be voting for the aussies
    surely they have as much chance as us or the uk and the song is poor anyway

Because Aussies are brand new to the event, every EU jury panel would have a sticky note reminding themselves not to forget to offer the newcomers a few token points, would be surprised if no one offered them at least uno point. Wonder if Home&Away is multi-translated...

Update on Euro-karaoke '15 [ at T-7 days ]

Current BP's (Best e/w Prices in decimal) of 'value hot picks.'
    Australia*¬ x 7.5 (Bwin)
    Finland¬ x 21 (Boyles)
    Poland^ x 151 (BVic)

key notes:
    * Aus opened and hovered around a generous x15 for a short while.
    ¬ Boyles had the Fins at good value x 27 at for a good while last week.
    ^ Some 'win-only' markets still offer a phenonominal (but unlikely) x601.

Current BP's of 'wild card, trending picks.'
    Latvia x67 (many)
    Cyprus x81 (many)
    Albania x101* (Fred/Tote)

* Some positive reviews on the aul blogs

Current BP's of 'value/oddities/phenomenon picks.'
    Israel offered at x151 (SJ) whilst WH only offers it at x34.
    Someone mentioned Malta last week, x251 available, very positive on blogs.
    Would lay against UK's entry, its a surreal random 1930's fanfare extravaganza.

More speculation via sofabet, whom thinks Sweden (likely, but offering no value x3.25) is the one to beat.

'Fanciful May Novelty Cheesefest Group Highly Speculative Accumulator' {1 Accum & 15 fourfolds from six}:
    ========
    1. Any one of the above, haven't settled on outright (win only), perhaps call it safe like a Volvo with the Swedes, x3.
    2. Im A Celebrity, To Take Part: Jeremy Clarkson, (ideal public relations remedial & acquaintance exercise), x3.50.
    3. BGT'15, from UDI (classy performance ideally suited to the target audience, that talking dog is good too), x5.
    4. Next UK Labour leader: Liz Kendall (shortening) anyone could do better than MiliBLAND), x5.
    5. Big Brother '16 Winner, Danny, (an average Joe, maybe the least annoying of the annoyances), x10.
    6. (today only) Webb Simpson at WellsFargo, but likely RoryMc will continue to utterly destroy that leaderboard, x11.

1 unit Accum = 28,875 units return. {3x3.5x5x5x10x11}
    'ANY' fourfold to arrive is net profit, or could also profit just using 20 triples or 15 doubles (all being well*) *may not go well and fairly difficult to find these selections available as accumulators.

surely finland cant possibly win this or even be placed
    it has nothing going for it
    at least lordi was something you could sing along to, this is just a ridiculously
    bad song with nothing going for it surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

small bet on italy for me. just for the interest. no reasoning behind it at all but have a reason to watch it now.

Italy a bit short BP x4.33 as a single, but mixed with other selections might be ok. Though anything that short is bound to fluctuate somewhere, even for a short period, between now and the red curtains.

In regards to Finland, it was good e/w value for a while, currently 6th Fav, just behind Ruska.
    - Although it's a sing-song contest, it's not just a sing-song contest, so throw in a mix of lefty-liberalism, geo-politics, visual recall, social media trending/exposure, novelty factors, performance & staging and a few other USPs.

Most of the early price wild card value bets are gone, but is currently going volatile during these semi-finals/final auditions, France went short yesterday, Norway's turn (17or34) today. You can still find well over 200% differences in e/w pricing though, which could be avenues for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

Backed Finland and Russia both at 14s for interest.

They've both come in quite a bit, really like Russia's song and shes not so bad to look at either ;)

• Advertisement

some gamble on the russians, best at 4/1 and as short as 11/4

value gone now sadly

Advertisement