Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do others notice a big drop in the number of smokers?

• 04-05-2015 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

It just seems like there was far more 5-10 years ago than now, more still a few years further back. Nowhere near as many on the streets, or in particular those in school uniforms? A positive thing , nearly 5 years since my last cigarette , hopefully never again :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Great to hear you're still off them 5 years later! I gave up on the 1st January this year - doing ok, still the odd craving , not to mention weight gain! But if won't smoke again. Not worth the price and health risks. I think we're more educated now and know the dangers- it's all good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could be that being a smoker is now actually seen and acted on as damaging one's employment prospects.

Could be that being a smoker is now actually seen and acted on as damaging one's employment prospects.
    Can somebody be discriminated against for being a smoker in an interview? Many with good (stressful) jobs smoke. Even the amount of nurses that smoke shocks me !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

koriko wrote: »
    Can somebody be discriminated against for being a smoker in an interview? Many with good (stressful) jobs smoke. Even the amount of nurses that smoke shocks me !

These days, when I go for interview, the general opinion I have is that if you smoke you are less valuable or perceived as such. How many minutes of the day other than breaks will you have to be outside and thus not working?

I just think it's better to not smoke if going for a job now.

Just another reason i'm quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

It's no coincidence that a huge percentage of the participants of the program "The Unemployables " are smokers.
    I work in a teaching hospital envoirenment. A few hundred staff. Less than ten male smokers I'd say if even . Smell of smoke and you risk being sent home.

• Advertisement

desbrook wrote: »
    It's no coincidence that a huge percentage of the participants of the program "The Unemployables " are smokers.
    I work in a teaching hospital envoirenment. A few hundred staff. Less than ten male smokers I'd say if even . Smell of smoke and you risk being sent home.
    On what grounds can somebody be sent home? Poor smokers! Is it that it's a hospital an has a no smoking policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

koriko wrote: »
    On what grounds can somebody be sent home? Poor smokers! Is it that it's a hospital an has a no smoking policy?

No it's like most places that have a dress/hygiene code. If you smelt of yesterday's dinner / bo / really strong perfume it's equally an issue. I wouldn't want to be treated by someone who smelt of smoke and I wouldn't expect anyone else to be either. I gave up smoking myself a few years back and cringe when I think of how I must have smelt. This is a changing society and it's seen as common to smoke - regularly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

I believe it due to the extreme awareness going on everywere about the risk of smoking.
    And also nobody wants their family dead or become a sick liability. So family also play important role in the quiting processes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I still have my little box of rollies, but as far as I can see at work time tobacco is history. Vape only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

In the news today that just 21 % of Irish people are now smokers, and the number is falling faster than in any other E.U. country... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Id say about 80% of the people in my place of work quit this new years. Its insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

In my workplace, I don't see that a lot of the smokers have changed.
    The few vapers are steady enough, one though does tend to do both.
    On Dublin streets I'm not sure, still lots of smokers, but now a lot more vapers too.
    Its great to see little grannys walking along puffing on an ego style device instead of a johnny blue.

Advertisement