Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orange liqueur? not Cointreau

Options
  • 28-12-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭

Aldi used to do an orange liqueur but that's been out of stock with a while. Lidl do a more expensive but that too is outta stock.
    any ideas where else it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

gran marnier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Triple sec Curacao. You will get it in most of licenses. It's clear and very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

sorry I should have also posted that price was an issue. normally Cointreau is about 34/36 e, I'm looking for a cheaper version! thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Aperol?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

youngblood wrote: »
    sorry I should have also posted that price was an issue. normally Cointreau is about 34/36 e, I'm looking for a cheaper version! thanks again

What you're after is Triple Sec.
    Cointreau is an expensive, branded Triple Sec.

• Advertisement

yea triple sec, that's exactly it, any good prices anywhere?
    you'd be v surprised how many off licenses hadn't heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

O'Briens have Bols Triple Sec 70cl listed for €30...
    http://www.obrienswine.ie/bols-triple-sec-70cl.html?___SID=U

In comparison, Tesco have Cointreau 50cl at €33...
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268772602

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

yea triple sec, that's exactly it, any good prices anywhere?
    you'd be v surprised how many off licenses hadn't heard of it!

That's cause most people who run off licenses know very little about drink. :P

As suggested above, Bols Triple Sec would be a good alternative to Cointreau but if you ask your local Lidl/Aldi they might get it back in for you as well. Failign that, any off license that has decent a decent cocktail drinks selection should have it.

yea am hoping my local aldi get it back in, they had it before christmas at 8.99,cheers for the research folks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

yea am hoping my local aldi get it back in, they had it before christmas at 8.99,cheers for the research folks

As seen above, Bols is quite an expensive brand. There are cheaper ones out there.
    De Kuyper is a cheap brand that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a bottle of that Aldi orange liqueur, and I wouldn't really rate it against Cointreau. If you're anywhere near D6, I'd be willing to give you what's left.

I use a lot of Cointreau/triple sec in my cocktail making at home and it's worth spending a bit more for a decent version. Giffard or Bols both do decent versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In case anyone is still chasing this down, LIDL Baldoyle have orange liquer in stock, 50cl bottle is €16.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cointreau is also 40%, many other versions will be less so can be sold much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

dragging up an old post here, anyone seen any good deals on Triple Sec lately? Looking for a bottole to make some Margaritas

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

dubmick wrote: »
    dragging up an old post here, anyone seen any good deals on Triple Sec lately? Looking for a bottole to make some Margaritas

Ordered this a while back: https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Teichenne-Triple-Sec?search=triple%20sec

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

I've tried the bols triple sec and it's v reasonable about 24e in my local off license and is perfect for cocktails etc

Advertisement