Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast with an English Accent

Options
  • 23-04-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My name is Niall I'm 19 and next year I am moving to Belfast and location is my worry. MY family are all catholic from the stewartstown road area but I don't think I would feel all that safe around there, I was thinking closer to town maybe Kennedy way and if not there south Belfast or city centre. I'd like to stay in the west as I am moving with my dad and that is his preference but does anyone have any thoughts on location and safety for me in west Belfast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

My name is Niall I'm 19 and next year I am moving to Belfast and location is my worry. MY family are all catholic from the stewartstown road area but I don't think I would feel all that safe around there, I was thinking closer to town maybe Kennedy way and if not there south Belfast or city centre. I'd like to stay in the west as I am moving with my dad and that is his preference but does anyone have any thoughts on location and safety for me in west Belfast?

You won't have any bother - I'm Southern and live in East Belfast, and I have an English friend who lives on Falls, it all depends on the quality of the area rather than the supposed 'ethic composition'. In my experience, the majority of people here either don't care, or are sick of rowing over nationality, however there are some. You can generally avoid this by looking for a decent area - flag-free, few rental property signs (indicator of student-heavy areas such as the Holylands), lots of families. There are lots of nice streets off Ravenhill Road, Upper Ormeau Road is grand too if you feel like staying closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I'm on the Stewartstown road a lot and quite regularly I will see kids in Northern Ireland tops. Its rough but there's no real trouble. I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement