Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Demense

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for somewhere to go for a nice easy paddle. I was thinking of the Liffey at Lucan Demense as I'll be able to park there handy enough. I was just wondering if there is easy access to the river there to cast off and also if there is a good stretch of water each way before I encounter weirs and the likes as I don't really have any interest at the moment in rapid flowing water. Many Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

nookie wrote: »
    There is lots of flat water around that area, both above Sluice and below the Sluice down to just above Lucan wier, with plenty of easy access.

That being said however if your a novice, paddling alone, using a sit on-top or not familiar with paddling on rivers I would strongly suggest that you find somewhere else to paddle - canal etc.

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes I would be a novice. The only place I have used the Kayak so far is on a lake in the west of Ireland and on the Malahide Estuary. It is an inflatable Kayak so it doesn't really sit much into the water at all and seems very sturdy although I do understand that any Kayak can capsize or in the case of my one, get a puncture etc. I do understand that water is to be respected and I do have a life jacket on me at all times when in the water and I have an anchor aswell. The reason I was asking about Lucan Demense is because I thought the water would be still enough there and it's not very wide either. I don't want to experience any rapid moving water yet. Whats the difference between there and a canal by the way?
    Also do you always go Kayaking with others? I understand there would be safety in numbers but I find it relaxing on my own and I want to go somewhere safe to do that.
    I appreciate the reply by the way and I will heed what you have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Grab a buddy, id always advise a buddy for me its a prerequisite and it is the way i was thought if its scuba diving sailing or kayaking. Dont go alone respect the water, it has no respect for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

nookie wrote: »
    The difference between that location and the canal is that the Liffey is a river. Regardless of the levels there is nearly some sort of flow plus other obstacles - rocks, trees, possibilities of pinnings, foot entrapments etc. which can pose challenges for the uninitiated and the untrained eye. Plus there is the (admittedly slim) possibility of you getting caught out by a release from the dam upstream. Further to that - inflatable kayaks, s-o-t's etc are for the most part completely unsuitable for rivers. Especially in the hands of a novice. The Canal on the other hand is completely flat water and the only likely obstacle you will encounter would the be odd shopping trolley or fisherman. Water quality will likely be better also.

Thanks again. I'll give the canal a go then in that case and leave the river for a while longer. I have a friend that used to do a lot of Kayaking in Belgium a few years back so when I do go on a river I will go with him. I live in Dublin 9 so I'd be using the Royal Canal most probably. Any stretch in particular you would recommend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement