Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blur is Back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If it's as good as Think Thank, then it'll be good. If it's as good as most of Albarn's post Blur output, then it'll be good. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Will be very interested to see what the new material is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Love that new song already and I am so tempted to be in London on the 20th of June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Not a massive fan of Go Out after several listens, it's solid though, but Lonesome Street and There Are Too Many Of Us sound brilliant on first listen. Shame about the artwork for the album and the video for Go Out. Absolute muck. Overall the sound of the new album is very promising

• Advertisement

Took a while for 'There are...' to go on me. I cant get into Lonesome Street at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

About halfway through it now.

Bit 'meh' so far.

Took a while for 'There are...' to go on me. I cant get into Lonesome Street at all
    And boy has it grown, I think its one of their best songs in history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Can't wait for the album - singles are always hard to judge with a band like Blur. 10 full plays up loud in the car usually gives a clearer idea.

Think they'll play an Irish date?

I think they will either be added to EP or nothing. I reckon they can attract an audience of about 10,000 which suits perfectly for IMMA in Kilmainham but think their slots are full up, I think Marley Park is a bit too big? And all the other festivals seem to announced in full at this stage. Hope something is announced but I'm going to be in Lisbon in July when they're playing a festival over there so I'll get my fix either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Album streaming free on itunes now.

Can't do linky thing due to number of posts..

consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/stream-blurs-new-album-the-magic-whip/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Listened to it maybe four or five times and really enjoying it. When I heard it was basically recorded over a few days in Hong Kong and then sort of cobbled together I thought it might sound a bit patchy but it sounds very cohesive.

Favourite songs so far are I Thought I Was A Spaceman, Pyongyang and I Broadcast. One thing I've noticed is that at times it sounds like a companion piece to Everyday Robots except with a bigger sound. I'm very impressed overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

It's a good album,snuggles into 6th spot ahead of Leisure and The Great Escape.

Coxon should have been let off his leash a bit more ; a lot of it sounds like Albarn's other projects. A bit too mellow over all.

Obviously,it being a Blur album,there is some great stuff on it.You gotta love

Thought I was a Spaceman, Pyongyang, TATMOU and Lonesome Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

Really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this record. On my fifth listen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to it maybe four or five times and really enjoying it. When I heard it was basically recorded over a few days in Hong Kong and then sort of cobbled together I thought it might sound a bit patchy but it sounds very cohesive.

Favourite songs so far are I Thought I Was A Spaceman, Pyongyang and I Broadcast. One thing I've noticed is that at times it sounds like a companion piece to Everyday Robots except with a bigger sound. I'm very impressed overall.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Loved Everyday Robots and this is a nice next step for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Excellent return to form imo. puts most current bands on the scene to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I really like that. They are still incredibly good live too. It is great to have a return to new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Friend of mine saw them in Brooklyn last night. Said they were excellent, but gig was almost entirely new album, just a couple of late '90s tracks but nothing older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Friend of mine saw them in Brooklyn last night. Said they were excellent, but gig was almost entirely new album, just a couple of late '90s tracks but nothing older.

This can only be a good thing no? They have, after all, released a new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

seachto7 wrote: »

Agreed. I'd only go to see them again in a small venue where they had the freedom to play their new album. Does anyone need to hear Parklife again?

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »

Best track of the album.

seachto7 wrote: »

No issue with them mostly playing the new album. For the encores though I'd prefer their early '90s to late '90s. Definitely don't need to hear Song 2 again, ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

No issue with them mostly playing the new album. For the encores though I'd prefer their early '90s to late '90s. Definitely don't need to hear Song 2 again, ever!

Whaaat?? I would definitely feel short changed if they omitted that 2 minute blast of communal head banging from their set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Totally agree, I never got the love for that song. Bit too obvious for me!
    I hope they do play most of the new album cos it's bloody great.

Mirrorball reminds me of I Wanna Be Yours from AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

Well i listened to this album yesterday on spotify and i have to say i am blown away how good it is, comeback albums can be often so disappointing but this one is a real stunner!! fantastic band, never lost it :)

Went to the Hyde Park gig on Saturday. They were excellent. Set list covered their whole career, including a number of older songs they rarely play live (eg Badhead, Trouble in the Message Centre). All the big hits too.

Went to the Hyde Park gig on Saturday. They were excellent. Set list covered their whole career, including a number of older songs they rarely play live (eg Badhead, Trouble in the Message Centre). All the big hits too.

Looked a better setlist to the last Hyde Park gig I attended. I would have preferred more The Magic Whip but maybe they wouldn't come across well live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Somehow this album had passed me by until now and I'm pleasantly delighted with it. First track is so Great Escape and brought me right back to when I first got that CD.
    I'm glad it's not all just resting on its laurels and playing it safe by drawing on Grat Escape, which Stephen Street producing could have happened.
    Can't decide what's my favourite track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Will give album a whirl over the weekend.

I liked their first single, but don't like Lonesome Street that much - it's very early blur and caught in the past, some might like the nostalgia about that, but I love blur because of their ability to progress their music. Looking forward to listening to the album

Advertisement