Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

wrt40 wrote: »
    Icon.350820.png
    mobile.HD Media Player

Windows 8 app. Long time favourite of mine. Plays everything you can throw at it. Cannot believe the hype over VLC when this has been in the app store for years.

Brilliant, thanks - was looking for something to play mkv files on the kids' laptop. VLC wasn't picking up the audio. Looks like this will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Scruff wrote: »
    is there an app to back up camera photos/video to a NAS?

1f8b72b2-7bda-449f-bb12-286dcacbc75b?imageType=ws_icon_large

ShareFolder Explorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

e7511239-684b-4fc2-aec0-ee6c30851226?imageType=ws_icon_large

Audiobooked

Great audiobook app for windows phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

wrt40 wrote: »

cheers. manual though (and have to pay for it) but looks workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have 10 dollars (MS love me long time!) to spend on apps for my phone - any recommendations for paid apps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have 10 dollars (MS love me long time!) to spend on apps for my phone - any recommendations for paid apps?

Off the top of my head, MetroTube and Poki - both apps are free with in-app purchases.

had metrotube already and i don't use pocket (anymore)

so far I've got podcast lounge and afterlight (with an extra filter set). It's harder than I thought to spend some money in an app store.

I haven't looked at games yet though - are there any decent, universal games?

edit : (actually, should there be a separate thread for windows device games or would that even be allowed in this forum?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

had metrotube already and i don't use pocket (anymore)

so far I've got podcast lounge and afterlight (with an extra filter set). It's harder than I thought to spend some money in an app store.

I haven't looked at games yet though - are there any decent, universal games?

edit : (actually, should there be a separate thread for windows device games or would that even be allowed in this forum?)
    If you've an xbox you can use the same credit there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hitman Go is out on Windows devices now, was in many game of the year lists last year.

If you've an xbox you can use the same credit there.

difficult, if not impossible - because the phone is on the dev preview and region is set to USA for cortana, the credit was applied to my "US account". I have previously tried to change region setting of the xbox to US (both on xbox.com and on the xbox) and it didn't allow purchases to go through.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Hitman Go is out on Windows devices now, was in many game of the year lists last year.

thanks, looks good alright, so bought it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

thanks, looks good alright, so bought it

If you've still got spare change, Monument Valley is also out now, another highly recommended game.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

6snap is fine acting the flute.
    Word is it's getting shut down?
    Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?

6snap is fine acting the flute.
    Word is it's getting shut down?
    Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?

There won't be any. Snapchat is cracking down on *any* non-official clients, that's why 6Snap isn't available in the Windows Phone Store anymore.

If another 3rd party app appeared (very unlikely, I think), it would only last a couple of days before being taken down. Then the app itself, even if installed and still running on your phone, would be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

theothernt wrote: »
    There won't be any. Snapchat is cracking down on *any* non-official clients, that's why 6Snap isn't available in the Windows Phone Store anymore.

If another 3rd party app appeared (very unlikely, I think), it would only last a couple of days before being taken down. Then the app itself, even if installed and still running on your phone, would be blocked.

And obviously, no plans to release their own official app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Pocket Casts is now on WP
    It's the only cross platform podcast app I know of now - WP/Android/ios
    No trial, have to pay for all versions
    Have it and it's exactly what I wanted (sync across devices)

GB store: 2.69
    https://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/pocket-casts/55b093dc-219e-472e-9545-4c317f59cb57
    IE store: 3.99
    https://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/pocket-casts/55b093dc-219e-472e-9545-4c317f59cb57

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Runtastic pro is free in the store atm.
    Not sure how good it is but I think it's only free for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Just came across the "Official GAA" app, published by the GAA, and recently updated. Even if you only have a passing interest in the GAA, you might want to check it out, if only to reward them for supporting the platform.

From the App description:
    The GAA is the largest amateur sporting association in the world promoting gaelic games and Irish culture. The Official GAA Windows Phone app provides latest news, fixtures, results, photos, videos and venue information, including a map with traffic flow and driving directions. You can also use the app to find your favourite county's fixtures or results hands free using Cortana integration.

Features Include:

*Cortana integration (speech settings need to be US/UK for now). Ask Cortana when Dublin play next or what Cork's last result was.
    *Traffic flow integration with venue map using Bing Maps
    *Driving directions from the venue map
    *Remembered settings to remember your favourite county and sport
    *Pin fixtures/results or venues to your start screen for quick access
    Added Cortana integration (speech settings need to be US/UK for now). Ask Cortana when Dublin play next or what Cork's last result was.
    Traffic flow integration with venue map using Bing Maps
    Driving directions from the venue map
    Remembered setting to remember your favourite county
    Improved UI, including performance improvements
    Bug fixes

The Cortana integration actually works! But it took about 6 tries before Cortana actually got "GAA When do Dublin play next", and Kerry was transcribed as Carrie, but it worked when I typed the question in, so I guess eventually Cortana might learn that Kerry makes sense for GAA questions. And Cortana actually reads the result out when it gets one - but she can't pronounce Pairc an Chrócaigh :)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/official-gaa/17695908-22d7-4160-8053-47db7741de26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Any suggestions for a video player app for a Windows 8 hybrid laptop that can handle frame-by-frame play? VLC is normally my video player of choice, and the standard Windows version does frame-by-frame, but I can't see or find any controls in the Windows 8 touchscreen version to allow me to do frame-by-frame.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Bayberry wrote: »
    Just came across the "Official GAA" app, published by the GAA, and recently updated. Even if you only have a passing interest in the GAA, you might want to check it out, if only to reward them for supporting the platform.

From the App description:

The Cortana integration actually works! But it took about 6 tries before Cortana actually got "GAA When do Dublin play next", and Kerry was transcribed as Carrie, but it worked when I typed the question in, so I guess eventually Cortana might learn that Kerry makes sense for GAA questions. And Cortana actually reads the result out when it gets one - but she can't pronounce Pairc an Chrócaigh :)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/official-gaa/17695908-22d7-4160-8053-47db7741de26

I couldn't disagree more on this app. Apart from cortana feature, which would be used rarely the app actually takes you to their website for each news story, the picture gallery crashes the app, and the live tile is never updated.

The Unofficial GAA app is much better, it includes live match updates, league tables, all news stories, club and county ground locations and a live tile that is regularly updated.

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more on this app. Apart from cortana feature, which would be used rarely the app actually takes you to their website for each news story, the picture gallery crashes the app, and the live tile is never updated.
    No problems with the Gallery here (though it's not terribly up to date, and doesn't have any videos, even though it has a videos page). The news stories are displayed within the app, by embedding the browser - that seems reasonable enough, though they could handle the cookies warning a bit beter.

Of course it's a bit of a tip-of-the-hat to the Unofficial GAA app that the GAAs own app is listed under O for Official, rather than G for GAA, which is where you'd expect to find it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't really understand how the Windows Phone Store is so bad. Or how so many apps in it are so flawed.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't really understand how the Windows Phone Store is so bad. Or how so many apps in it are so flawed.

Chicken and egg. Commercial developers aren't putting the effort in because they don't see the market share, market share doesn't grow because the apps aren't being developed.

Windows 10 and Universal Apps should help this to some extent, but developers who are solely focussed on the small screen mobile user won't necessarily be jumping to Windows 10, but "couch apps" and "3rd screen apps", where the tablet/laptop user is the prime audience should definitely find Windows 10 Universal apps more attractive - Windows tablets are now competitive with Android tablets, and the app-gap there might be a bit easier to overcome. We'll have to wait and see, though.

I just went back and checked, and I don't see any mention of Duolingo on this thread.

It's an app for learning languages - Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Irish, Dutch, Danish, and English (and Turkish in the most recent update). I started using it a couple of months ago to refresh my Irish. By setting daily targets and "losing a life" when you make a mistake, you have an incentive to keep at it, though the phone client doesn't give any guidance on the actual grammatical rules that you're dealing with - you have to log into the website to get that.

It's definitely expanded my vocabulary, but I still can't get my head around the tuiseal ginideach!

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/duolingo-learn-languages-for-free/2d89520e-d360-4b5b-ba5a-5a15064aa935

beauf wrote: »

There are many reasons, some of it is Microsoft's fault and some is the developer's fault. How long do you have? :pac:

Funnily enough, the Official GAA tile was "live" this morning, though right now it's just showing me the GAA logo. And I also notice that when I use the Pin option within the App itself, the Tile says GAA News, rather than Official GAA (that's why I have two different tiles in these screenshots).

352532.jpg

352533.jpg

Bayberry wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the Official GAA tile was "live" this morning, though right now it's just showing me the GAA logo.
    I rebooted the phone this afternoon, and when it came back up, the GAA tiles were live again. I had selected a different county to check fixtures, and I think that's when the tile stopped updating, but I can't tell for sure. I just changed the county again, and the tile is still "live".

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The Official GAA tile only updates after you go into the app and see the latest stories, whereas the Unofficial GAA tile updates properly in the background with the latest story.

The Official GAA tile only updates after you go into the app and see the latest stories, whereas the Unofficial GAA tile updates properly in the background with the latest story.
    I just checked the app this morning, and checked to see if it had results from last weekends games, and it didn't - until I manually pressed the refresh icon at the bottom of the page.

I think the developer may have made a misguided choice to require manual refreshes, to save bandwidth, rather than automatic updates when the app loads, but that really should be a user choice, and not the default choice.

It's a pity - it's a nice app otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Daily Mail UK now have a WP10 app. I know a lot of their content is probably muck, but the interface of the whole thing very nice! You get instructions first time you run it.

Advertisement