Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you get in...

• 18-04-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

If you get in what are you going to tell your current employer? Or if any of the campaign one guys want to share what they said when they left? I don't think I'd be happy disclosing where I was really going...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

As far as I'm aware you don't NEED to give your current employer a reason why, just the required amount of notice. I personally wouldn't be saying anything, just that you're tendering your resignation of your current post and will work the required notice of xx days/weeks/months, thank them for the time and any opportunities that they've given you and wish them well for the future. That's it done and dusted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

My immediate boss know where im going. Her dad is ex-RUC and i trust her enough to keep it quiet, plus she's been really supportive to me during the whole process, making sure i've had time off where needed. I've told everyone else that i am joining immigration/border force.

Civil Service seems to be the most used excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Think I will drop the old civil service as my reason haha.

None of my bosses know what my plans are, working for a big bank company it would spread like wildfire. Just email HR to get the time off so never had to explain why I've needed anything which is decent.

Only reason i specified is becuase my office work with civil service alot, and no doubt someone would catch me out! make sure your story is water tight and you know enough about your fake job lol

Haha yeah no doubt, doing some research would help. There is a local jobs and benefits office in most towns so can use that as an excuse, say admin for civil service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

I will probably do something like yourself Kev- we are very close knit in our workplace and to say nothing would probably be even more eyebrow raising lol

I feel like I'm getting too ahead of myself thinking about things like this but it's nice to have a wee daydream sometimes I find myself imagining going on my big shop for GV and all and have to catch myself on before I get my hopes up!

If you're at the PCA and medical stage, presuming you pass the PCA and nothing bad happens with your medical, then id say start day dreaming. I did the moment i read my PCA results. Although, now with a lot of revision to do before starting im getting nervous!

Hopefully pass the PCA. Got a rough time scale from when you passed PCA / Medical to your induction? I'd say the day dreaming will increase 10 fold if I pass the PCA lol. It's hard not to day dream when your this close... yet so far from the dream.

about 5-6 months from PCA day to induction, then a further 4 weeks from induction to GV start day

I know things are likely to move much faster now which is great but terrifying! I have started to prep things in work for me leaving just making sure all my tasks are up to date etc. I think I will tell them I am going into somewhere in civil service- feel like such a liar lol they hink I am doing all this fitness training for the belfast marathon!

• Advertisement

Things may go faster for you guys. Id certainly hope so anyway!

I feel so bad lying to people, almost feel like im joining MI5 or something! but its for your own safety, so you'll learn to live with it quickly lol

Part of me wants to not disclose anything at all in the hope they will give me gardening leave but that would be incredibly wishful thinking unless they were sure I was going to a competitor

If you get in...........

Thank your lucky stars you've been fortunate enough, reward yourself for the hard work you've put in, appreciate your position, do your very best at everything no matter how insignificant it may seem, set a good example, don't squander the opportunity, look after each other as you're family now but most importantly stay safe and love the job!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A little story:

Someone on here decided to tell their boss that they were leaving the job to join the civil service. The boss became very interested, because he himself had applied to join the civil service and was successful. He was asking where they were going to work from, what their job would entail, which branch of the civil service they were going to, and so on.

The leaver told his boss that he was moving far away to Derry somewhere, made up a job description, and said he'd be working in the tax offices.

"Unbelievable!" declared the boss. "I'm going to the tax offices in Derry too! When did you apply? I only saw managerial roles when I applied?"

The leaver was on the spot, and waffled something about getting to know about the vacancy through an employment agency. He continued to try and avoid the topic as his final day approached, but the boss was so enthusiastic that he'd be working with a familiar face on Day 1. He was offering accommodation, asking the leaver if he knew of any gyms in the area, schools, amenities, pubs and so on. He never let up.

So imagine the leaver's face to see his old boss stand beside him as a Student Officer in Garnerville on Day 1. His boss had seen him leaving the morning A/C session when he arrived early for the afternoon session. He just decided he was going to have fun with his future colleague-to-be while he was still his boss!

They're both in the same District now, and remain good friends to this day.

-Shield.

Incredible Sheild... Imagine that? lol

Haha what a story! I would be absolute bricking it if they kept pushing me for information once you'd said you were leaving. Imagine, you would be thinking whats going on here why is he pressing me so much.

I've had so many people pressing me for information about the new job that i've just simply told them that i dont know much about it yet and that i have to do some training first.... it seems to have worked.

majgreen wrote: »
    I've had so many people pressing me for information about the new job that i've just simply told them that i dont know much about it yet and that i have to do some training first.... it seems to have worked.

Yeah well the border force sounds quite interesting haha so if I worked with someone who was leaving to work there I'd be asking a few questions myself out of interest.

Maybe say something boring if I get in, off to work in a library haha that should avoid the questions!

yeah! i wasnt expecting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

There's been a recruitment freeze in NI Civil Service the last 6-9 months or so just so you all know lol

• Advertisement

Suzuka wrote: »
    There's been a recruitment freeze in NI Civil Service the last 6-9 months or so just so you all know lol
    alot of people use the "friend got me in" excuse lol

I will probably just tell them I am going to something boring and office based so as to provoke as few questions as possible! Will have to think of something more creative for the extended family to explain the shifts lol

I will probably just tell them I am going to something boring and office based so as to provoke as few questions as possible! Will have to think of something more creative for the extended family to explain the shifts lol

Im lucky as my family all live in england. Just make your story plausible and know enough about it to be able to blag your way through a converssation.

Use my excuse!!!! I decided to become a lady of questionable morals and that would explain the good wages and the shift work plus stop any awkward questions!!! Sorry but I'm laughing at the thought of anyone actually saying this and the look you'd get from person you were talking to lmfao!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I spun a yarn about starting a social work course. If you look at it from an angle there is an element of that to it! :)
    I also attempted to keep it to close friends, and not all of my family. 6months in and already people I didn't want knowing know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Tell everyone you're going self employed to sell Avon and watch everyone scatter because they don't want to ask questions and you trying to sell them stuff lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Shield lmao!! What a story.

I’d say I Work in a foster home- do nights/ days and long hour shifts. You can just say it’s the trust and you work all over the Provence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Suzuka wrote: »

No there hasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

No there hasn't...

That's a post from 2 years ago buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Sweet jesus i'm tired

Advertisement