Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Goldbergs

• 30-09-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Has anyone else watched the first episode of the Goldbergs yet?
    I had read the reviews and wasnt expecting much but I found it to be really funny. Love the 80's setting and its a great cast. Jokes were good and the delivery spot on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I watched it last night and liked it. I didnt love it but it was better than any other new comedy I've seen so far.

My favourite 80s style funny was during the driving lesson when Barry turned to hit the kid in the backseat while driving.

His dad :

"Don't hit the kid and drive at the same time...that's far too advanced!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Ive been largely disappointed with Dads, Mom, The Crazy ones and HIMYM so that probably had me rating this higher than I normally would but its still a decent addition to my schedule.
    The scene quoted above is very funny, similar with the diner and talking about how he wants to just stick his face inbetween boobs "you have to earn that right"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I love it. Jeff Garlin is fantastic. Most of the cast is really strong.
    Not crazy about the kid who plays Adam, but I felt the same about Martin in Moone Boy at first as well and he grew on me by the end of the series, so I'm hoping for a similar transition...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

This show is really catching me. Loving the first few epsiodes. Not quite at the level of Modern Family or The Office but a huge step up from most of the other sitcom rubbish coming out of america lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, definitely a grower. It's becoming a show I'm starting to look forward to each week and that's a good sign. Lots of potential. It's very much a rejig of The Wonder Years in my opinion but it's pretty strong overall.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying this, it's rarely laugh out loud funny but it will leave you with a smile on your face. There's an undeniable sweetness to the relationships and the characters are far more than simple cliches, even if you've seen them a dozen times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Loving this.
    Good harmless fun.
    Glad to see it wasnt cancelled , as comedies like this can be hit and miss for people.
    I tried Dads, not funny in the slightest.

The cast are great in this, love Jeff Garlin and the mother gets strangely more attractive every episode..

This week was a Goonies themed episode... Excellent!

Anyone else still watching this?

By no means the cleverest or most original comedy ever made, but consistently good I think. Always look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I loved the first season. I'm letting Season 2 build up, so I can binge watch it with the current seasons of The Middle and Modern Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on E4 on Monday April 20th at 7.30pm and will then air on weekdays in the same timeslot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bump was on tongiht, first ep. Liked it enough that I'll tune in again next week.

Bump was on tongiht, first ep. Liked it enough that I'll tune in again next week.

Tomorrow. E4 are showing it weeknights at 7.30pm...

Great show, so glad it's finally being show this side of the pond...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I'm on episode 8 of the first season and I'm really enjoying it. Some truly terrible U.S. comedies/sitcoms have come out over the past few years and The Goldbergs is genuinely good quality, so it's refreshing.

And when he's narrating, I feel like I'm watching Ratatouille! (Anyone else ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

DareGod wrote: »
    And when he's narrating, I feel like I'm watching Ratatouille! (Anyone else ??)

I'm really reminded of the wonder years more than anything else.....
    Anyway saw this for the first time today and it's pretty good. I know the older brother is obviously meant to be the star but for me the mother is hilarious. The part where she's shouting abuse across the street at your woman who's then, we're told via narration, her best friend.........classic.

tunguska wrote: »
    I'm really reminded of the wonder years more than anything else.....
    Anyway saw this for the first time today and it's pretty good. I know the older brother is obviously meant to be the star but for me the mother is hilarious. The part where she's shouting abuse across the street at your woman who's then, we're told via narration, her best friend.........classic.

I always felt the stars were Murray and Bev (the parents) when I first started watching, but to be fair having seen the first two seasons, it's more of an ensemble piece - each of them ads their own dynamic to the show. Brilliant show though - I was glad E4 started airing it to bring it to the attention of more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

sham69 wrote: »
    the mother gets strangely more attractive every episode..

QFT.

Since we ended up talking about The Goldbergs over in the Stranger Things thread, I thought it was worth fishing out this clip...
    We all know Murray hates pants, but it's actually a trait Jeff Garlin shares with his character.

The Goldbergs just homaged the s**t out of The Breakfast Club and it was F**king Glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Goldbergs just homaged the s**t out of The Breakfast Club and it was F**king Glorious!

The only thing missing was a big musical number as those are some of the best moments of the series given how talented the kids are especially the girls.

This probably should have aired in the episode

• Advertisement

http://tvline.com/2016/11/08/the-goldbergs-90s-spinoff-bryan-callen-abc/

The 90s spinoff will be about gym teacher Rick Mellor played by Bryan Callen

I know it's "loosely" based on Adam F. Goldberg's childhood in the 1980s, but the latest episode, The Dynamic Duo, features a plot about the release of Tim Burton's Batman, which was released in June 1989. Surely next season should move on into the 90s?

He didn't even have a sister, either.

I know it's "loosely" based on Adam F. Goldberg's childhood in the 1980s, but the latest episode, The Dynamic Duo, features a plot about the release of Tim Burton's Batman, which was released in June 1989. Surely next season should move on into the 90s?

He didn't even have a sister, either.

They've always played pretty fast and loose with the timeline to be fair - every episode begins with Narrator Adam setting the scene and ambiguously claiming it's 1980something, so they could easily go along the road of just still pretending it's the 80s another 4 seasons down the road and that would be a joke in itself, but also there's no reason next season couldn't be the final 80s season and move on into the 90s in the second half. As long as it maintains the chemistry between the core cast and keeps up the nostalgic feel, it's all good either way I think.

I do like the show, but I don't like the blending of 10 years into a 3/4 year period. This happens with other 80s nostalgia stuff, too. 1981 was different than 1989, etc.

Adam F. Goldberg was 3 years old in January 1980, and 13 years old in December 1989. The timeline of his childhood represented in the show is well screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think we're supposed to take the timeline too seriously but just enjoy the episodes as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Adam F. Goldberg was 3 years old in January 1980, and 13 years old in December 1989. The timeline of his childhood represented in the show is well screwed.
    I think it is very smart. If they were to do it correctly when would you have liked to seen it start? with a 3 year old and only seeing stuff that happened in 1980 in the first series? and have it grow up in time with the actors?

That might be interesting, as the older characters would have been older so not just stuck with a toddler, and the toddler would have narration. The actor playing Adam started fairly old, he is 17 now in real life. Since it was successful I wonder if they regret not having a younger start, Dewey in malcolm in the middle, and brick in the middle were a lot younger starting out, but had older siblings, as does Adam.

I see it just showing how a boy of that age would have gone through all these events & trends etc. I like the way you have no idea what year(s) the next episode will be.

Just reading up found this, the real Adam talking about it
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/04/catching-up-with-adam-f-goldberg.html
    My mom was a shopaholic. She can literally never wear the same thing twice. That?s fine with me. A lot of what Wendi wears is actually my mom?s stuff. My mom sent it all. I would say a good portion of the costumes are my mom?s actual clothes, which is really weird to me because I remember growing up with certain sweaters and I?ll see Wendy wearing them and it will really bring me back in a weird way.
    Paste: Talk about your decision to set the show in 1980s-something.

Goldberg: I knew I wanted to do When Harry Met Sally. I knew I wanted to do Say Anything. These were things that I had to do right out of the gate. I knew it would make great TV, so I didn?t really have a choice. If I had stuck to 1985, there would be no Big Tasty (Barry?s rap alter ego). Flavor Flav and rap wasn?t around yet. If you set it any later than that, you only have three years in the ?80s, so I didn?t really have choice. Memories are vague and hazy. What it lets me do is play in the ?80s as much as I want because I love that time period. But there?s a lot of people whom it drives nuts.

Troy Gentile, who plays Barry, played a younger Jack Black in nacho libre and tenacious D. Did a brilliant job, he has lost a lot of weight. Meatloaf plays the father.

5.jpg
    tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny-20070227055535031-000.jpg

A lot of swearing in this

It's going to be pretty silly if at the end of season 6 in two years time, if they're still pretending all this happened in the 80s, when Erica and Barry are in college and Adam is finishing highschool. Like Adam goes to see Batman Returns...but it's still 1980something, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's going to be pretty silly if at the end of season 6 in two years time, if they're still pretending all this happened in the 80s, when Erica and Barry are in college and Adam is finishing highschool.
    I wasn't sure if they were aging Erica & Barry properly but seems they are.

If not they could have them playing younger versions, i.e. actors in their mid twenties still playing teenagers, but it would make no sense as the actors would all eventually be playing characters of the same age.

I see nothing wrong with the perpetual 1980s, they would just be showing college life in the 80s. It was never attempting to be accurate at all.
    The narrator takes creative liberties with the time frame. For example, the second season episode "Just Say No" has references to both the Walter Mondale/Geraldine Ferraro presidential campaign (which took place in 1984) and the TV shows American Gladiators and America's Funniest Home Videos (both of which debuted in 1989).

I had not heard of this term until the goldbergs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreliable_narrator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goldbergs_(2013_TV_series)#Spin-off
    It was announced that Goldberg will develop a spin-off Goldbergs series for ABC set in the 90's with Bryan Callen's character of Rick Mellor

(Bryan Callen as Rick Mellor, the high school's no-nonsense gym teacher and coach.)

• Advertisement

Adam F. Goldberg did not go to college in the 80s. I still think with the format of the show, it'd be weird to have Adam in college and still pretend that happened in the 80s. If he has home videos to show of his college life, then they're from the mid-90s.

Advertisement