Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good condition battery flat after 9 days

Options
  • 20-04-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

My battery is in good condition according to my Oxford trickle charger, yet the bike was parked up for 9 days while I was away and the battery is dead. Only enough charge to barely get the indicators working but not enough to turn over the bike.

Any ideas what the problem could be, I have no alarm but do have an immobiliser?
    It's a proper pain getting the battery in/out. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

MargeS wrote: »
    My battery is in good condition according to my Oxford trickle charger, yet the bike was parked up for 9 days while I was away and the battery is dead. Only enough charge to barely get the indicators working but not enough to turn over the bike.

Any ideas what the problem could be, I have no alarm but do have an immobiliser?
    It's a proper pain getting the battery in/out. :o
    Parasitic drain, probably from Immobiliser, disconnect it and see if it stops the battery drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbh i dont trust health checks from trickle chargers.

How old is the battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

It's quite normal really. 9 day is a reasonable time to keep charge.My 125 wouldn't start if parked for over a week and thr battey was new. Also depends who made the battery in the first place easystart would be ****e compared to motobatt for example.

szatan84 wrote: »
    It's quite normal really. 9 day is a reasonable time to keep charge.My 125 wouldn't start if parked for over a week and thr battey was new. Also depends who made the battery in the first place easystart would be ****e compared to motobatt for example.

huh? ive a 250 in the shed with a brand new battery and it doesnt do that. Starts on the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

listermint wrote: »
    huh? ive a 250 in the shed with a brand new battery and it doesnt do that. Starts on the button.
    Ive had a 2008 cbr125r that I drove everyday. I parkdd thr bike for a week when I went on holidays, barely started after a week of being parked up. (Decided to bump not to drain battery further after I pressed starter and she barerly turned over). Id say another day or 2 and she would be completly flat.

• Advertisement

szatan84 wrote: »
    Ive had a 2008 cbr125r that I drove everyday. I parkdd thr bike for a week when I went on holidays, barely started after a week of being parked up. (Decided to bump not to drain battery further after I pressed starter and she barerly turned over). Id say another day or 2 and she would be completly flat.

You may have some drain then. Its not normal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I left my bike in a mates place for a month over January, low temps etc.
    No smart charger connected, it still started a month later no problems.
    Any drain on a battery over a week will flatten it, the one thing that 90% of bike batteries have in common is that they are too small.
    If your battery dies after a week, its either on its last legs or something is draining it.
    Trickle chargers sometimes only read the surface charge on the plates, this is when the battery is freshly charged and bears no relevance to the actual capacity of a battery.
    To get a true reading of a battery run the headlight for 2 minutes then measure the battery voltage with an accurate multimeter.
    You should get between 12.4-12.7v if the battery is anyway good, below that the battery is on the way out.

Advertisement