Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episode 5x01 - 'The Wars to Come' - HAVE read the books [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My excitement for GoT has waned a little. I think the show would be much more enjoyable if I'd never read the books tbh. So many theories being debunked is quite disappointing.

I think I'm just going to try and view the rest of the series with the books out of my mind...if I can!

In saying that I enjoyed the opening episode. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the season opener but there were some great scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's a pity they've skipped so much, the Kingsmoot, evil pirate wizard, crazy prophet of the Drowned God, the boat to violantis on the river Rhyonar, the stone men and carying that back to Westeros as well as Faegon, his invasion of Westeros with the support of the Golden Company and Varys.

The biggest shame is skipping Lady Stoneheart, she's such a cool character and seeing tens of bodies hanging from trees would have been creepy as hell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's a pity they've skipped so much, the Kingsmoot, evil pirate wizard, crazy prophet of the Drowned God, the boat to violantis on the river Rhyonar, the stone men and carying that back to Westeros as well as Faegon, his invasion of Westeros with the support of the Golden Company and Varys.

The biggest shame is skipping Lady Stoneheart, she's such a cool character and seeing tens of bodies hanging from trees would have been creepy as hell.

It's still possible for a lot of that to happen. This is epsiode 1 of season 5. AFFC and ADWD are being spread across season 5 and 6 and there's plenty can be put into season 6.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's still possible for a lot of that to happen. This is epsiode 1 of season 5. AFFC and ADWD are being spread across season 5 and 6 and there's plenty can be put into season 6.

I reckon most of those books will be covered this season?

My only qualm with the show is it really suffers when you only watch an episode a week, the story just isn't episodic enough for me. Unfortunately I don't have the restraint to wait 3 months to binge watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I'd say Seasons 5 and 6 will have as much from TWOW as the other 2 books.

They really are gutting books 4 and 5. No siege of Meereen possibly now that it and Yunkai have surrendered. So there is no need for the Greyjoys, and Tyrion can go straight to Meereen, picking up Jorah along the way or get picked up by him. Dany can fly off then on Drogon at some point, no battle for Meereen will take place.

This also means that Griff and young Griff will not be in the show, this eliminates another large plot thread.

Mance gone now too. So no spearwives infiltration of Winterfell and possibly no pink letter to Jon. (I really like this part of the book)....

Dammit, I've gone and ranted, it was not my intention to give out about the show as I really enjoy it. I think some good stuff is being cut in favour of trimming the fat, which is fine, but why do we have extra scenes like the Grey Worm love stuff and that awful beetles speech from last season. They add nothing, and we might be better served with some extra bits from the book instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    This also means that Griff and young Griff will not be in the show, this eliminates another large plot thread.

:eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just to make sure my memory of the book is accurate, the wildlings joining Stannis or the NW was Jon's idea in the book wasn't it? And was Jon Lord Commander by now?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just to make sure my memory of the book is accurate, the wildlings joining Stannis or the NW was Jon's idea in the book wasn't it? And was Jon Lord Commander by now?

I think he was Lord Commander by the end of book 3.

And ya I think the wildlings joining Stannis or the NW was Jon's idea, along with telling Stannis how to win over Northern Lords and Hill Tribes to his cause too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Mickeroo wrote: »

In the books some Wildings actually join the Nights Watch but the majority don't.

However Jon does make a deal with the rest that they can occupy the empty Castles on the Wall (plus The Gift) as long as they defend it (so basically making them unofficial Night's watch).

Stannis actually recruits the northern Mountain Clans (Flints, Wulls etc) for his attack on Winterfell rather than the Wildlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The hope is that this season deals with Dorne and then there's 2 or 3 pure Greyjoy episodes next season so they can get the new actors in. I'm hoping they are just splitting it up instead of just purely cutting out Aegon, the Greyjoys and some of the other stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Yes, I'm hoping that the producers decided that introducing the Martells/Dorne and the Greyjoys/Iron Islands in the one season might have been a bit much and so have left the Greyjoys until Season 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

One thing I will say; Lancel Lannister really seems to have dedicated his life to the Seven

1. Bench Press
    2. Squats
    3. Shoulder Press
    4. Bicep Curls
    5. Leg Curls
    6. Sit-ups
    7. Protein Shakes

One thing I will say; Lancel Lannister really seems to have dedicated his life to the Seven

1. Bench Press
    2. Squats
    3. Shoulder Press
    4. Bicep Curls
    5. Leg Curls
    6. Sit-ups
    7. Protein Shakes

I wasnt sure it was the same actor!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Mance gone now too. So no spearwives infiltration of Winterfell and possibly no pink letter to Jon. (I really like this part of the book)....

I'd say the Mance reveal is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What makes you think that Hyzepher? I really think it falls into the Lady Stoneheart area of the novels and that it'll be cut as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think it'll be Tormund going to Winterfell instead of Mance. He's had more screen time throughout the series and audiences are more familiar with him. I just can't see any way of convincing us that someone willingly did the switcheroo with Mance. Am I right in thinking that in the books there was no exchange between Mance and Stannis in the books directly before the burning?

ALSO who actually cares about Greyworm's love life? It's a non story I wish they'd stop wasting screen time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

One good thing about the show veering away from the books is that there will surely be less "Predictions" over in the non-book readers thread.

Had completely forgotten about all those until I started reading the thread again.

I've read the books so it doesn't bother me what people post over there. Guess we're all in the dark together now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Sleepy wrote: »
    What makes you think that Hyzepher? I really think it falls into the Lady Stoneheart area of the novels and that it'll be cut as a result...

Well it's not ruled out. Played out more or less the same in the books until we realised magic was used.

Also, is Sansa's storyline now completely ahead of the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Well it's not ruled out. Played out more or less the same in the books until we realised magic was used.

Also, is Sansa's storyline now completely ahead of the books?

Ya it seems Sansa' storyline is gone ahead alright. It may not even be going the same route as the book might.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'd say the Mance reveal is still on.

The actor more or less confirmed it, he was very disappointed to be killed off before he did anything.

And just watching the scene, the way Mance was talking it was definitely him that went on the pyre, if it was Rattleshirt, he would have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

The actor more or less confirmed it, he was very disappointed to be killed off before he did anything.

And just watching the scene, the way Mance was talking it was definitely him that went on the pyre, if it was Rattleshirt, he would have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

They could always say the glamour/magic/whatever stopped him from speaking too but that's clutching at straws, I think you're right in that he would have been gagged or something if it wasn't actually Mance.

And the Sansa story has probably veered off in a completely different direction from the books.

I think I actually tuned out during the scene with her and LF in the carriage, no memory of what was said.

Ever since the trailers, its been said that Sansa is going to Winterfell, which makes little sense unless she is replacing Fake Arya/ Jeyne Poole....That just raises further questions if true.

Sansa asked LF where they're going and he said "somewhere very far away" or something along those lines? I can't remember exactly but I've no idea where he was on about, but his description didn't really make me think Winterfell.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

FunLover18 wrote: »
    ALSO who actually cares about Greyworm's love life? It's a non story I wish they'd stop wasting screen time on it.

I'd say they're building to him being killed by the harpys instead of missandei's brother and so looking to create more of a connection with the viewers before that

kellso81 wrote: »
    I'd say they're building to him being killed by the harpys instead of missandei's brother and so looking to create more of a connection with the viewers before that

Wasting screen time on it only to kill him off would be worse than doing it for no reason :mad:

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Wasting screen time on it only to kill him off would be worse than doing it for no reason :mad:

I guess they're running out of "important" characters to kill and probably feel they need to keep up the shows reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Ever since the trailers, its been said that Sansa is going to Winterfell,

Mainly cause in the Trailer you see Sansa, Littlefinger and a bunch of Vale Knights riding into Winterfell where the Boltons await them. :D

Mormegil wrote: »
    Mainly cause in the Trailer you see Sansa, Littlefinger and a bunch of Vale Knights riding into Winterfell where the Boltons await them. :D

Really?

Must not have seen that one.

• Advertisement

Really?

Must not have seen that one.

It was in one of the later trailers, I saw it on some website where someone had screen grabbed each individual piece and examined it.

Advertisement