Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Food and recipes

• 10-04-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking last night... I barely remember ever having peanut butter as a kid, and probably went 30 years without eating it at all, but recently I've been eating it nearly every day. I blame Derval O'Rourke - I know, she's the first to get the blame for everything! - because a couple of the snacks in her book use peanut butter, and she didn't include an addiction warning.

So -
    tunguska likes his maca and chlorella (and yoga and meditation and eastern mysticism :D )
    I'm like the fat kid from Willy Wonka with chocolate milk and peanut butter and easter eggs

What are your post-run or pre-run foods? What's your healthyish option when you're hungry? Home-made recovery drinks? Afternoon snack before a hard session? How do you get your daily dose of peanut butter?

I usually make a batch of flapjacks every week

150g butter
    80g sugar
    150g golden syrup
    100g mixed seeds (usually sunflower and pumpkin)
    100g sultanas or raisins, chopped first when I can be arsed
    sprinkling of chopped nuts if I have any handy
    a few spoonfuls of PEANUT BUTTER

Melt and mix over a low heat. Add 300g of porridge oats. When mixed, add about 50g of chocolate chips, then spread on a greased, lined baking tray before the chocolate melts completely.
    20 minutes in the oven at gas mark 3

Eat with chocolate milk :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Do you mix the peanut butter into that mixture for Flapjack's? I too love peanut butter & my recipe for Flapjack's is similar but I've never added the p.butter.?

Recovery drink for me is crushed ice, banana & skimmed milk wizzed up. Love it

If you love p.butter, you should try p.butter icing on buns, would be classed as a comfort food though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Clam pasta (perfect recovery meal)

1kg Clams (the little sweet Irish ones are great)
    2 portions Spaghetti
    Half a bulb of fennel
    Couple cloves garlic
    Glass of white wine
    Butter
    Olive oil

Fry garlic fennel and some chilli in butter and olive oil

Soak clams with a couple drops of vinegar to get rid of grit

Hit the frying sofrito w/ the clams - turn the heat up .

Pour class of white wine in / cover

Wait til clams open- pull em out/ reduce liqueur. Pour over clams with cooked pasta and eat . Full of minerals etc you might have lost in an LSR !!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

RayCun wrote: »
    Eat with chocolate milk :)

Milk, cocoa powder, icing sugar and a splash of vanilla extract. Whizz it up in a blender makes far nicer chocolate milk than any you buy in the shops IMO.

Proportions are to taste but for every 300 ml of milk I would have one heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder, level teaspoon of icing sugar and the smallest splash of vanilla extract (not essence) you can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

denis160 wrote: »
    Do you mix the peanut butter into that mixture for Flapjack's? I too love peanut butter & my recipe for Flapjack's is similar but I've never added the p.butter.?

yeah, throw the peanut butter in with everything else before you put it on the heat to melt together. I've made the same recipe before without either the peanut butter or the chocolate, but add those two and :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't beat a fresh stir fry, just throw in whatever veg is in season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Love stir fry easiest thing in the world to make also be trying flapjacks recipe aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A few recipes i got from friends, healthy taco fries and big mac in a bowl.
    Also sweet potato fries, just lovely.

Big mac in a bowl:
    • Packet of extra lean minced beef
    • Chopped onion
    • Gherkins, sliced
    • Shredded iceburg lettuce
    • 4 tbsp of kraft light thousand island dressing
    • Cheese
    Instructions
    1. Add the onions and mince to a frying pan
    2. Fry with fry light until brown and cooked through
    3. Add the gherkins for a while
    4. Add the cheese so it melts
    5. Put chips in your bowl
    6. Add the shredded lettuce
    7. Add the mince
    8. Add the Thousand Island dressing

Taco Fries
    Seasoning mix-
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp cayenne chilli powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp sweetner
    1 tsp dried oregano

Mix all the seasoning ingredients together and leave aside.

Packet of less than 5% fat minced beef
    2 small red onions, finely chopped
    1 red pepper, finely chopped
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp. Worchester sauce
    1 beef stock cube

4 large potatoes chipped
    120g red cheddar, grated

1. Fry the onion and pepper in frylight until soften.
    2. Add the beef and fry until lightly browned.
    3. Add the spice mix and stir well, add Worchester sauce and crumble in beef stock
    4. Add the tin of tomatoes and stir well, adding a little water if sauce looks dry.
    5. Simmer for 20 mins.

Taco Sauce
    3 tablespoons of extra light mayo
    3 tablespoons of fat free natural yogurt
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1/2 tsp cayenne chilli pepper
    1 tsp minced garlic
    3-4 tablespoon water

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Where do you get the clams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Decent fishmonger in Maynooth often has them- Fallon and Byrne in Dublin City Centre usually has a good shellfish selection as well !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I love pasta, and these are my favourite things to do with it:

Pasta puttanesca:

Fry an onion in some olive oil for a few minutes then add chopped garlic and fry for another little bit, then added 8-9 roughly chopped anchovy fillets. Stir them in until completely disintegrated. Add a can of plum tomatoes, break them up and stir in. Add pitted black olives and about 2-3 tablespoons of drained capers. Season and add some oregano and simmer for 20 mins. Toss in pasta of choice, wholemeal spaghetti normally for me.

You can add some cooked prawns a minute or 2 before serving, or serve with a steak or some pan fried fish.

Second dish starts by lightly fring some shopped garlic and red chilli. Then squeeze a good bit of lemon juice into the pan, toss in some spaghetti and some pine nuts (toasted in a dry pan beforehand). Then pile in as much shaved/grated Parmesan as you like (lots!) and stir. A minute or 2 before serving toss in a big pile of rocket leaves and stir in while on the heat, till it softens and goes deep green. Plate up and add more cheese and or lemon. As above is nice with added prawns or choice of protein alongside.

Finally spag Bol. Only a bit different. Lob a large chopped onion diced carrot and couple of finely chopped celery sticks into a slow cooker. Add some chopped garlic, two tins of plum tomatoes a big glass of wine, (red or white) a beef stockpot a good few gluts of lea and perrins and some fresh thyme. Meat wise you need a cheap fatty beef joint. Aldi sometimes sell a 'housekeepers cut' as part of their super six for 6e, it's about a kilo in weight, which does the job. Lower it into the slow cooker, season and add water till it covers the meat. Lash the slow cooker on high and leave overnight, or 8 hrs minimum.

When you return in the morning, poke the joint with a fork, it should fall apart almost to the touch. Transfer the whole lot to a pan on the hob and cook it on a high heat for a little bit to thicken.

Serve with whatever pasta you like, though if you can be arsed to make your own it goes really well with this. The flavour of the beef permeates the whole sauce and makes it absolutely delicious in a way the old minced beef version can't get near, makes a good and easy Sunday lunch/dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Excellent thread - pretty much everything in Derval O'Rourkes book is tasty, not just the stuff that includes peanut butter - the other half has started referring to it as my kitchen bible!!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the merits/ fad element of all the other nut butters out there besides peanut butter? For example almond butter, hazelnut butter or cashew butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

spaceylou wrote: »
    Excellent thread - pretty much everything in Derval O'Rourkes book is tasty, not just the stuff that includes peanut butter - the other half has started referring to it as my kitchen bible!!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the merits/ fad element of all the other nut butters out there besides peanut butter? For example almond butter, hazelnut butter or cashew butter.

Almond & hazelnut (not sure about cashew) will have less omega 6 and more omega 3 than peanut butter, which is thought to be better. I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thanks for that Juke - I'll just keep alternating between them so - a balanced diet of nut butters :D Haha

these pasta dishes are great and all, but what about for the man who doesn't cook? :D
    And are there things you can prepare ahead of time to have straight after a session, or as a snack a couple of hours before a session?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Great thread, am both a runner & big cook :) is the Derval O'Rourke book worth getting, have so many I put a stop on buying them but might make an exception :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great idea for a thread

One I picked up in India, lots of goodness, you can make it as spicy as you like, tastes great on day 1, better on day 2 and better again on day 3 :P, can be eaten reheated or cold as part of salad.

1.5 cups of black urad dal, plus 0.5 cups of channa dal (or use whatever you can get a hold of).
    1.5 tsp of garlic paste
    2.5 tsp of ginger paste
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    1 tsp of garam masala
    Salt and Chilli power to flavour
    Oil
    1 large onion
    2 large tomatoes
    Fresh corriander
    Natural yogurt, cucumber, tomato, salt and ground pepper to accompany

Add the dal, garlic and ginger paste, salt and chilli powder to lots of water and cook for minimum one hour (doing this the night before is best).

In a frying pan heat the oil and the cumin seeds until they start pop.
    Add in the onion (finely chopped)
    Fry for a couple of minutes and then add in the tomatoes (chopped)
    Continue to fry for another few minutes and then add the garam masala and fresh corriander.

Mix well with your cooked dal.

In a bowl add your natural yogurt, chopped and skinned cucumber and tomato and salt and pepper - mix well.

Serve with rice or roti / nann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

these pasta dishes are great and all, but what about for the man who doesn't cook? :D
    And are there things you can prepare ahead of time to have straight after a session, or as a snack a couple of hours before a session?

:eek::eek::eek: LEARN!

as a matter of interest, how many on here can't cook and just out of pure curiosity why the heck not :-)

here's a nice health bread alternative - porridge bread

500g tub of natural yoghurt
    2 tubs of oats (use the yoghurt tub)
    2 tbls spns oil
    2 teaspn baking powder
    hand full of your favourite seeds

mix the lot in a bowl and put in preheated oven at 200c for 45 mins. There are lots of options for adding stuff into recipies like this depending on your taste. Cinnamon, fruit (berries/bananas), nuts etc etc. Have just take a batch out of the oven yummy..

Firedance wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: LEARN!

didn't say I can't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

didn't say I can't ;)

ha ha ok, well then DO :-) I love food and therefore love to cook as its soooo much tastier than take aways/ready meals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

spaceylou wrote: »

I've really gotten to love almond butter lately, the meridian brand in particular. Two ryvita with it spread on, and a boiled egg has become my favourite breakfast lately, I do be buzzin' after it!

To the other poster who asked about Derval's book- yes it's absolutely worth getting. Best cookbook I've ever bought, it's very practical and easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

+1 to Dervals book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Might have to invest in Dervals book.

I made some of that porridge bread today Firedance and had some spread with houmous as an after run snack. It was nicer than I thought it would be! Thanks for the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This one is perfect after a long hard session (miles + quality) as it has tonnes of protein, carbs, omega 3, natural anti-inflammatories, healthy oils, vitamin C, tastes bloody great, and you can make it hours beforehand (or even the day before). Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and cave-dwellers. If you're gluten-intolerant, go munch on some broccoli.

Serves: me
    Time to prepare: 4 minutes
    Healthiness: It's all good

Ingredients:
    1 small can of chickpeas (drain, rinse and pat dry with some kitchen towel
    Juice of 1/3 of a lime (or around 1/5th of a lemon)
    2 or 3 baby tomatoes (remove seeds by making a slit and squeezing out the seeds)
    1 Tbspoon of crunchy peanut butter
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon harissa (or more if you like it spicy)
    Tonnes of pepper and salt
    A handful of fresh coriander and/or basil (or half a tablespoon of one of those squeezy herb tubes).
    A Tbspoon of olive oil.
    A couple of pitas

Throw everything (expect the pitas) into a blender, and blend until nice and smooth. If it won't blend, keep adding a small splash of water, until it's all mixing nicely. Top with a little olive oil and some sweet paprika (for visual appeal). When ready to eat (post session), splash a bit of water onto the pita breads and throw into the toaster (being careful not to electrocute oneself), and enjoy and feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Throw everything (expect the pitas) into a blender, and blend until nice and smooth. If it won't blend, keep adding a small splash of water, until it's all mixing nicely. Top with a little olive oil and some sweet paprika (for visual appeal). When ready to eat (post session), splash a bit of water onto the pita breads and throw into the toaster (being careful not to electrocute oneself), and enjoy and feel better.

glad you put that bit in. I'm not to be trusted when it comes to these things:o

Gonna try that thanks. Even I should be able to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and cave-dwellers. If you're gluten-intolerant, go munch on some broccoli.

But not those with a peanut allergy :(.
    Do you reckon you could replace that peanut butter with the good old fashioned regular butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    But not those with a peanut allergy :(.
    Do you reckon you could replace that peanut butter with the gold old fashioned regular butter?
    Nah. Just throw in some Tahini (sesame paste). Hummus should be made from Tahini anyway. I just use peanut butter, as it's a regular larder ingredient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

^^ with half a chicken rammed in there. That's gettin' done asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Has anybody tried cooking with coconut oil bought it but haven't tried it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

crestglan wrote: »
    Has anybody tried cooking with coconut oil bought it but haven't tried it yet

Yeah it's good in currys, chilli and other heavy-ish meals. Not so great in a stir fry where the grease tends to coat everything- although maybe I used to much oil.

I have also used it in muffin and low GI pancakes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Simple Lemon Salmon Pasta - serves 2

Pasta of choice
    Smoked Salmon, cut into strips (100g usually good for 2)
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    butter (small slice ~15g)
    Parmesan - half block, grated finely
    asparagus tips - chopped (1 small tray is good)

Cook the pasta and while that's on the go...
    Cook the asparagus for 5 mins, drain and set aside when done
    Melt the butter on medium heat, add lemon juice & pepper to taste
    Reduce heat to very low, add parmesan slowly to melt into sauce
    Add the smoked salmon and asparagus.
    If needed, add ladles of starchy water from the pasta to get the sauce to required consistency
    Add the cooked pasta, stir & serve with extra parmesan & pepper.

All done in 15 mins.

Tip: Don't strain the pasta, the starchy water is good to add to the sauce, just use a slotted spoon to lift pasta from the pot. It's also good to add extra if reheating for someone who's eating later (though best eaten straight away)

Advertisement