Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytripper 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Theatre royal had a madness tribute recently - €20 8 members in the band, 6 people in the audience. The theatre is losing money hand over fist and despite owning the tax man a fortune, still got 65k grant from the council.

To be fair, I love Madness but wouldn't go see the lads themselves if it was in the Theatre Royal. Nevermind a tribute act. I'm there to have fun and dance, not sit in a chair in a theatre while listening to music. There's certain events you can easily hold in a theatre and certain musical acts that just aren't suited to it. If I wanted to sit down and listen to Madness for two hours, I'd save the €20 and do it at home. I'd pay for the live gig experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

To be fair, I love Madness but wouldn't go see the lads themselves if it was in the Theatre Royal. Nevermind a tribute act. I'm there to have fun and dance, not sit in a chair in a theatre while listening to music. There's certain events you can easily hold in a theatre and certain musical acts that just aren't suited to it. If I wanted to sit down and listen to Madness for two hours, I'd save the €20 and do it at home. I'd pay for the live gig experience though.

Exactly. But week in and week out they still book this kind of crap. Who is absorbing the losses?!

I also don't buy this whole "You have to support local, even if it doesn't interest you at all" argument. Nonsense. If it doesn't interest me, and nothing they're putting on appeals to me, then why the hell should I pay for tickets to it? Book something or something I have even a vague interest in seeing and I might buy a ticket.

You can't blame people for not buying tickets if the acts booked don't interest them. I'd rather go without an event than have someone trying to strong arm or guilt me into paying for tickets to something I have no interest in going to just so they can have a good time.

Loved Daytripper the first year, didn't interest me enough to buy a ticket last year. Hope it's supported well enough to keep it going for those that do enjoy it but throwing out the old "some people are just negative for the sake of it" gets no one nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Exactly. But week in and week out they still book this kind of crap. Who is absorbing the losses?!

They probably have their big weeks, like they did with Sister Act last week and Carousel coming up - where they were/will be mainly booked out for 5 days. This may cover some of the losses, but I agree that Theatre Royal is not the best place to watch a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

According to their Twitter feed, the lineup is due to be announced on WLR in the morning (some time after 8.00 I believe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Route 94 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Saturday acts are

UB40
    Soul 2 soul
    Thank Funk
    The Whereabouts
    Two can
    Skunk

Sunday Acts

The Darkness
    The Riptide Movement
    Propeller Palms
    Smash Hits

http://www.wlrfm.com/shows/3-the-big-breakfast-blaa/1910-daytripper-2015-saturday-acts-revealed-waterford.html

http://www.wlrfm.com/shows/3-the-big-breakfast-blaa/1911-daytripper-2015-sunday-acts-revealed.html

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

shinzon wrote: »
    Saturday acts are

UB40
    Soul 2 soul
    Thank Funk
    The Whereabouts
    Two can
    Skunk

Sunday Acts

The Darkness
    The Riptide Movement
    Propeller Palms
    Smash Hits

http://www.wlrfm.com/shows/3-the-big-breakfast-blaa/1910-daytripper-2015-saturday-acts-revealed-waterford.html

http://www.wlrfm.com/shows/3-the-big-breakfast-blaa/1911-daytripper-2015-sunday-acts-revealed.html

Shin

That's actually a decent line up even without the Friday (when is it announced?)

I've seen the Darkness live and they are good craic.

UB40 what can you say, some class tunes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

O Riain wrote: »
    That's actually a decent line up even without the Friday (when is it announced?)

I've seen the Darkness live and they are good craic.

UB40 what can you say, some class tunes!

Well there is a slight problem actually.There's sort of two UB40'S after a split between its members.The leader singer , Astro and Mickey Virtue are part of a group called UB40 reunited. The rest are just known as UB40. I don't know how this will turn out. But it would be a shame if the leader wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭skaface

Well there is a slight problem actually.There's sort of two UB40'S after a split between its members.The leader singer , Astro and Mickey Virtue are part of a group called UB40 reunited. The rest are just known as UB40. I don't know how this will turn out. But it would be a shame if the leader wasn't there.

Ya, was thinking same myself until they confirmed on WLR a few minutes ago that the 2 UB40,s have reunited and it's the Original line up.. Which is unusual because I haven't heard anything about that, and it would be Big News in the music world if true...
    Also said Friday night announcement would be
    in next few days and it's NOT Paul Weller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Christy Moore for the Friday so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Waiting for another shower of Dolls to come out of the pram...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Can see the sense in ub40 as they will get the older crowd in and maybe some casual music fans too. Most likely that will sell out but the darkness!? Ha! They couldn't sell out a pub in clonmel a few weeks ago! They had their moment in the sun 10 years ago before people copped on to the joke they were and moved on. If they were say third on the bill you could maybe say fair enough but topping it? Hopefully the friday will save it. Hope it does well and people enjoy it but unfortunately it's not for me this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I was very cynical of the rumoured lineup for this festival but credit where it's due.

The Darkness aren't great, by any stretch of the imagination BUT the Sunday lineup is worth €40.

The Darkness – The Riptide Movement – Propeller Palms
    Smash Hits – Mad Ferritt – Electric Movie Band

Mad Ferritt are brilliant. Smash Hits are cheesy but very feel good. Propeller Palms are good. The Riptide Movement are excellent.

UB40 will bring a big crowd but I'd say it'll be a scummy enough crowd too.

I was very cynical of the rumoured lineup for this festival but credit where it's due.

The Darkness aren't great, by any stretch of the imagination BUT the Sunday lineup is worth €40.

The Darkness – The Riptide Movement – Propeller Palms
    Smash Hits – Mad Ferritt – Electric Movie Band

Mad Ferritt are brilliant. Smash Hits are cheesy but very feel good. Propeller Palms are good. The Riptide Movement are excellent.

UB40 will bring a big crowd but I'd say it'll be a scummy enough crowd too.

Are scumbags into UB40? No being sarcastic or anything just genuine curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Are scumbags into UB40? No being sarcastic or anything just genuine curiosity.

Maybe I'm generalising a bit too much but I've seen a busload of complete scumbags going to a UB40 gig a few years back, and just seen a few on facebook tagging friends in a UB40 Daytripper comment.

Is this the current UB40 that is actually remnants of the original UB40?

Sunday line up looks like good craic.

It's Ali , Astro & Mickey , 3 of the ORIGINAL UB40
    The REST of the band are still giving as UB40 as well..
    So to answer your query it's NOT really the UB40
    that they said on WLR today , which said that the band had solved their differences and got
    back together.. Should be still a good gig..
    As regards scumbags following the band, wouldn't go that far, BUT I've seen them a few times over the years, and they have got a strong Working class following ..
    Always been popular in Ireland and this will be a
    Big draw like Madness were two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Any idea when Friday line up be announced?

Any idea when Friday line up be announced?

Before the end of the weekend according
    to WLR this morning.

• Advertisement

Is this the current UB40 that is actually remnants of the original UB40?

Sunday line up looks like good craic.

The Darkness would be good craic but fourty euro for a ticket :( . Way to expensive for a band that haven't had a hit in ten years.

The Darkness would be good craic but fourty euro for a ticket :( . Way to expensive for a band that haven't had a hit in ten years.

You'd probably pay €10/€15 to see the riptide and then there are other bands too so it's not really €40 JUST to see the darkness..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

€40 for 5/6 bands in a festival setting, not bad in my book. really well organised last year with food, coffee stand, beer ticket system worked well. I often laugh when i hear people (not aimed at this poster but others in general) complain about paying for something when they often shell out 10 for a pack of smokes daily, often drop 40-50 in the bookies on a regular basis and would often spend multiple of 40 getting drunk out of their mind on a saturday night, still though 40 for some quality entertainment it is too much for em to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Same argument every bloody year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

anybody know if dickie rock is coming back this year

Any news on when Friday headline acts
    are being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Are Texas playing the Friday of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Max Powers wrote: »
    €40 for 5/6 bands in a festival setting, not bad in my book. really well organised last year with food, coffee stand, beer ticket system worked well. I often laugh when i hear people (not aimed at this poster but others in general) complain about paying for something when they often shell out 10 for a pack of smokes daily, often drop 40-50 in the bookies on a regular basis and would often spend multiple of 40 getting drunk out of their mind on a saturday night, still though 40 for some quality entertainment it is too much for em to bear.

Get off your high horse. Just because people don't see it as good value doesn't mean that they're either drunks or gamblers whom easily spend that much on smoking, drinking or what ever. Your attempt to degrade people who don't agree with your parochial point of view or paint them as being of a lower class by implying their spending habits is quiet frankly pathetic. You keep preaching that people should support local blindly regardless of quality but yet you don't provide a real reason why people should. I'm not throwing **** at this festival, it's not my cup of tea. I don't like any of the bands, so there's zero chance I'd go. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on something else. But according to you , I should still support it just because it's local. By that mentality, if the next Hitler comes from Waterford, I should throw a few bob his way towards genocide camps 'cause, yo know, he's local boy. Support your own.

Max Powers wrote: »

Don't smoke, drink much or gamble cause Im stingy lol

I would happily pay 100 if i thought it was quality entertainment but this for me is not worth the 40. I hope that it does well and people go to it but its just not for me. I was hoping for something that took my fancy but you can't please everyone all the time.

• Advertisement

Get off your high horse. Just because people don't see it as good value doesn't mean that they're either drunks or gamblers whom easily spend that much on smoking, drinking or what ever. Your attempt to degrade people who don't agree with your parochial point of view or paint them as being of a lower class by implying their spending habits is quiet frankly pathetic. You keep preaching that people should support local blindly regardless of quality but yet you don't provide a real reason why people should. I'm not throwing **** at this festival, it's not my cup of tea. I don't like any of the bands, so there's zero chance I'd go. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on something else. But according to you , I should still support it just because it's local. By that mentality, if the next Hitler comes from Waterford, I should throw a few bob his way towards genocide camps 'cause, yo know, he's local boy. Support your own.

Come off it. All he was doing was responding to the fact that the person said that €40 was too much for what was on offer. He then said that some people (not necessarily that poster) would see nothing in spending €40 on fags, booze or whatever and he is dead bloody right. If its not your cup of tea, that's grand boy but there's no need for someone to go saying that €40 is a rip off and then go into a bookies to put €50 on a horse.

Advertisement