Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated shed worth the extra money?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I rang my local sawmill who are selling sheds and fence panels.

I need to replace a panel that blew in over the past few days.

Also need new shed as the other ones rotting.

So my question is ... Is pressure treated timber worth the extra money.

A standard size shed was nearly double the price if it was pressure treated.

Based on that price I think I'd rather just treat it myself each year.

Before anyone says it I didn't treat the current wood as it was already gone past repair when I moved in recently so I would treat it if I did go with non pressurised.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have a pressure treated shed about 15 years now, i have replaced the felt on the roof twice myself, and given it a coat of ronseal or similar about 3 times. It is pretty much in perfect condition, no sign of the timber going in any part of it.

To me the extra money is probably worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Also need new she as the other ones rotting.
    Thanks
    Yeah, tell me about it :rolleyes::D

Seriously though, if the only difference is treated vs untreated for the money, then keep the cash and self-treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have some pressure treated fence panels in our garden that have been there since the house was built in 1995, have never been painted / treated in any way, and they're still in perfect condition.

Personally I'd never bother with non-PT timber for anything that goes into a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Pressure treated it is so. Thanks for the help.

Didn't want to be wasting money but it sounds like a good investment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, tell me about it :rolleyes::D

Seriously though, if the only difference is treated vs untreated for the money, then keep the cash and self-treat.

Good spot.

You're out voted 2-1 though in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Beware.... if its pressure treated - it may not rot as quick - but you will still have to treat it in some way - The timber will look nice and new and new for about a year but if left unvarnished or painted, it will go that horrible grey "old wood" colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    Beware.... if its pressure treated - it may not rot as quick - but you will still have to treat it in some way - The timber will look nice and new and new for about a year but if left unvarnished or painted, it will go that horrible grey "old wood" colour.

Yes but its purely cosmetic treatment as opposed to doing it with either the right stuff which is pretty toxic or else using some snake oil stuff that is eco friendly :D

OP: spend they mula now and as long as its not in standing water or continuously wet it will last a long time

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    One person's "grey old wood colour" is another person's "nicely weathered".

Advertisement