Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

• 22-02-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Anyone else excited for the new MM record? Release date was recently pushed back 2 weeks to Paddy's Day (though what's an extra 2 weeks after 7 years!!) Really liking what I've heard so far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Yeah definitely,not a bad album in the bunch.A gig would be awesome though!
    A poll might be good see what people generally consider their best album.

or maybe leave poll until after the new album beds in? ..to date we were dead before etc would be my pick with parting of the sensory being the top song.
    I do admit to not being a diehard fan who has heard everything by them!!..Can Anyone beat parting of the sensory as their best song?
    Have heard most of their most popular tracks like Float on/dashboard etc ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Spitting Venom for me. But like yourself, I've focused on We were Dead etc. , and have only casually listened to earlier albums. Saw them live couple of years ago. They were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

My favourite of their albums other than We Were Dead would be Good New For People Who Love Bad News and This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About. The latter could be my favourite of theirs overall. Some fantastic songs on it like Tundra/Desert, Ohio, Exit Does Not Exist, Dramamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Moon and Antarctica is easily their best album. Stars Are Projectors is my favourite off that :D

Wish Granted playing Helix next July :pac:

• Advertisement

How big is the Helix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Really good so far...The ground walks, with time in a box stand out for me

OhHiMark wrote: »
    How big is the Helix?

'Seems to be 1800, and I'd say it's fixed seating'.
    Taken from the gig forum. I would agree with other posters in that thread who say its an odd choice of venue and its only one gig then tickets will be hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

For anyone who's eager to hear it they were selling the album in HMV on Grafton Street today. Am I right in saying it shouldn't be out till Tuesday? I picked it up on vinyl but didn't see any cd copies. 20% off on everything in there aswell for the next for days.

For anyone who's eager to hear it they were selling the album in HMV on Grafton Street today. Am I right in saying it shouldn't be out till Tuesday? I picked it up on vinyl but didn't see any cd copies. 20% off on everything in there aswell for the next for days.

Yeah Tuesday supposedly.no streams or leaks i know of so you are one of few to be getting a listen in advance!

And they ain't hanging around for another 8 years to follow it up either.

With the release of Modest Mouse’s newest album Strangers to Ourselves coming up in a week on March 17, the news that they already have a follow-up album is a pleasant surprise, considering it’s been 8 years since the alt-rockers have released a new record.

In an interview with HMV, frontman Isaac Brock revealed that the follow-up album to Strangers to Ourselves is already almost complete, saying, “I’m pretty far along with the next one as it is. I went in to making this one with two records in mind.”

Regarding its release date, Brock pronounced, “It’ll be released as quickly as it’s legally allowed to be. It’s a partner to this one.” When it rains, it pours, and we’re not complaining.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/modest-mouse-to-release-second-album-shortly-after.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'm disappointed with the new album. Songs range from good to below average. But even the best songs on the album fail to reach the heights of material on The Moon & Antarctica or The Lonesome Crowded West. It's underwhelming to hear a once great indie rock band sounding so safe and average.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Gave it a quick listen last week, didn't grab me at all. Will definitely give it another go down the line.....Wouldn't be into 'Lampshades on Fire' at all.

Didn't grab me as much as We Were Dead anyway. After a few listens I definitely like it but it's not close to their best. I still think it's a very very good album but they have higher standards than most. Pistol is... interesting. I don't particularly like the song overall but it ends well.

Also **** in your Cut is a fantastic song and is almost guaranteed to be misheard when you talk to other people about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chimera88

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Also **** in your Cut is a fantastic song and is almost guaranteed to be misheard when you talk to other people about it.

That track sounds quite a lot like Glass Animals. But in general, can't say I've been blown away by the album. Will give it a few more gos.

Enjoying this album so far .Sugar Boats fav song so far..intro reminds of the stranglers waltzing in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

First listen of the new album and I don't know what to think. It just sounds like another generic indie album and isn't a patch on their earlier music. I'll need another few listens but it felt a bit unforgettable for me.

This is a Long Drive... and The Lonesome Crowded West are two of my favorite albums of all time but I feel they have become too refined over the years. I know they can't have that raw sound forever but they still managed to produce M&A while trying something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Really liking it so far, especially 'Wicked Campaign' and ' The Best Room'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm liking it, feel like it's a grower.

Moon & Antarctica is probably my favourite album so I'm really enjoying the tonally similar tracks on this one (Pups to Dust in particular).

Got tickets for July too so looking forward to seeing some of the new stuff live.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoWithTheFlow

I'd agree that it's a grower. It's an album without many great songs but a lot of good ones that tie together well. It is bloated though and i'd personally drop "pups to dust" and "sugar boats" to thin it out. The run of Ansel/Time in a Box and Coyotes is my highlight.

• Advertisement

I'd agree that it's a grower. It's an album without many great songs but a lot of good ones that tie together well. It is bloated though and i'd personally drop "pups to dust" and "sugar boats" to thin it out. The run of Ansel/Time in a Box and Coyotes is my highlight.

No way ..tis an awesome tune ..pistol is the one I would have dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoWithTheFlow

Yea i'd agree Pistol sticks out a mile against the other songs but I don't think its a bad song, it probably doesn't belong on this album though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Sugar Boats is my skip track. Ruins an otherwise great run of songs for me.

Subjectivity eh? What's that all about?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Sugar Boats is my skip track. Ruins an otherwise great run of songs for me.

Subjectivity eh? What's that all about?

We dont all like the same things and I would love to say to people on these forums 'really' you actually listen to that god good!Subjective is fine.
    Moon and Antarctica is an album I have heard well most of it some of the songs like paper thin walls a song I initially liked but didn't sound so great the last time I played it .
    Anyway bit bored with MM now ..someone start a thread or post a tune even!

Advertisement