Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

its_phil wrote: »
    So explain to me how Poolman was possibly exposed as a weakness against Cardiff? Poolman isn't a novice in center, while admitting it is not his most natural position. I think Poolman is a better center than Finn. Poolman has played there professionally many times for Connacht.

Poolman has did well in that position last time, why change that I dont know why? Also his selection there allows us to have Healy, TOH, and Leader all on the pitch. Poolman is just there to fill a gap until we have Robbie, McSharry and Aki back

I simply didn't say that at any point. Dani is a very capable player. I just suggested that playing players in their preferred positions might be better than filling gaps.. And as for previous poster that Rodney is doing grand, bealham simply has to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

ouncer wrote: »
    So Finn did well against Treviso. Give him a go at centre (probably no choice). Leave poolman and Healy on the wings. Put mils or darragh as the other centre.
    I simply didn't say that at any point. Dani is a very capable player. I just suggested that playing players in their preferred positions might be better than filling gaps

Is filling gaps not exactly what you are suggesting above by saying Mils or Darragh should be the other centre with Finn?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Yes!

Sorry, edited to mean are you not just filling gaps with your suggestion? Mils or Darragh are not at their best in the centre.

Padkir wrote: »
    Sorry, edited to mean are you not just filling gaps with your suggestion? Mils or Darragh are not at their best in the centre.

Let's throw a few ideas out there. Let's say Craig has been our best out half this year. He generates scores. So should we move him to 12 where he really has been ordinary. So jack gets, no further comment, 10. So that's one situation.

Best wingers are poolman and Healy, but dani has to cover centre. Why? Supposedly mils and darragh can do that? I do not get this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Let's throw a few ideas out there. Let's say Craig has been our best out half this year. He generates scores. So should we move him to 12 where he really has been ordinary. So jack gets, no further comment, 10. So that's one situation.

Best wingers are poolman and Healy, but dani has to cover centre. Why? Supposedly mils and darragh can do that? I do not get this

I happen to agree with you that in this case Finn should probably be on the field with Leader or Mils in the centre, but I can see the other side's thinking.

We know Dani CAN play a full game in the centre effectively, he proved it against Cardiff. Ronaldson has been, at least, solid cover for 12 too.

The most we've seen out of the others at centre are brief periods where Darragh has had to cover, never a full match. I doubt Pat will put them there for a full match without knowing what they're capable of.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I happen to agree with you that in this case Finn should probably be on the field with Leader or Mils in the centre, but I can see the other side's thinking.

We know Dani CAN play a full game in the centre effectively, he proved it against Cardiff. Ronaldson has been, at least, solid cover for 12 too.

The most we've seen out of the others at centre are brief periods where Darragh has had to cover, never a full match. I doubt Pat will put them there for a full match without knowing what they're capable of.
    Interesting that mils or darragh have never been considered at centre to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Interesting that mils or darragh have never been considered at centre to date.

Leader played center at the start of the season

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Masterson and O'Halloran have been added to the European squad.

Meanwhile Gloucester have added Brendan Macken to theirs. Do I remember him having a particularly awful time in the Sportsground in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Robbo wrote: »

Meanwhile Gloucester have added Brendan Macken to theirs. Do I remember him having a particularly awful time in the Sportsground in September?

I remember him having a fairly solid game....never clearly caught out in defence and make big yards in open play a few times.

Oh and Hodges is still doing the game Saturday!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Robbo wrote: »

He was grand, but Neil Francis came out after and said Macken was the more talented attacking player between himself and Henshaw. Hilarious stuff now.

Macken had a mare the year before when D'Arcy got injured and it was himself and Reid in the center. McSharry and Griffin ripped them to shreds IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Henshaw nominated for player of the championship. vote on 6 nations website.
    http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/fanzone/competitions.php?cid=1892

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Nepia Fox-Matamua confirmed for next season. Arrives in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's the story with Heenan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

.ak wrote: »
    What's the story with Heenan?

Out for the rest of the season but doesn't need an operation and is due to be back for pre season.
    Jake Heenan sustained a rotator cuff tear to his right shoulder during the last round against Cardiff Blues. While his previous stabilisation surgery was not affected, the most recent injury will leave the New Zealander sidelined for the remainder of the season as he undergoes rehab. The flanker will not require further surgery and is expected to be fully fit for the start of the preseason period in the summer.

http://inpho.ie/assignment/Connacht-Rugby-Squad-Training-Tuesday/c6ukY3_cmvr5EGyLg7XA0w..a?ts=DszHu5mjs2tVMSvvCynq9w..a

Interestingly it looks like Jack and Mils sat out training yesterday and Miah looked to be pretty involved in the training so we might see a Marmion Miah half back pairing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What about Ronaldson?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What's the opinion on Heenan's future? I believe the impression in NZ originally was that he was too light to make it at the top level which is why he was passed over. He now has 15 starts (17 appearances overall) in two seasons and significant injury problems in that time.

Is there any feeling that injuries are going to trump his talent in the end?

Buer wrote: »
    What's the opinion on Heenan's future? I believe the impression in NZ originally was that he was too light to make it at the top level which is why he was passed over. He now has 15 starts (17 appearances overall) in two seasons and significant injury problems in that time.

Is there any feeling that injuries are going to trump his talent in the end?

He possibly is a tad light/lacking in power to make it at the very highest level i.e be an All Black but I wouldn't see him having any issues at club level, including Heineken Cup. His game is based on his ability to read the game, he's an excellent tackler and jackler and for a lad who's probably only around 105kgs he's an excellent carrier. Richie McCaw is no physical beast....a good 7 can make up for a lot with brains and technique.

On the injury front, he's been incredibly unfortunate, there's no denying that but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that his career is in jeopardy. Lots of players go through spells of terrible injuries and come through the far side and go on to have long careers. No more than Sean O'Brien, I'd be hoping Heenan's luck will change and a good pre-season will set him up for next season. I'd argue he's our most talented forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What about Ronaldson?

He'll most likely start at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What about Ronaldson?

With McSharry out, Craig will start 12 I'd imagine

• Advertisement

In summary: Need more Henshaws

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1. Henshaw
    2. Henshaw
    3. Hayes
    4. Henshaw
    5. Henshaw
    6. Henshaw
    7. Henshaw
    8. Henshaw
    9. Henshaw
    10. Henshaw
    11. Henshaw
    12. Henshaw
    13. Henshaw
    14. Henshaw
    15. Henshaw

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

1. Henshaw
    2. Henshaw
    3. Hayes
    4. Henshaw
    5. Henshaw
    6. Henshaw
    7. Henshaw
    8. Henshaw
    9. Henshaw
    10. Henshaw
    11. Henshaw
    12. Henshaw
    13. Henshaw
    14. Henshaw
    15. Henshaw

Sorted.

there's enough there to send 1 each to Munster and Leinster then! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"I'm Henshaw and so's my wife".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

What are the chances of Leader at FB, Mils going into 13, Finn at 12, keep Ronaldson at 10? Or is Ronaldson the only option at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

What are the chances of Leader at FB, Mils going into 13, Finn at 12, keep Ronaldson at 10? Or is Ronaldson the only option at 12?

I wouldn't want Mils playing at 15, never mind 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

http://m.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/news/30479.php

Unless I read it wrong - It now looks like evening winning Challenge Cup won't mean play off- gotta target 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

wprathead wrote: »
    http://m.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/news/30479.php

Unless I read it wrong - It now looks like evening winning Challenge Cup won't mean play off- gotta target 7th

That is a masterpiece of incomprehensible gibberish right there.

The rules for qualification are set out a little clearer here:

http://http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/qualification/index.php

It looks like you are correct. The Pro12 Representative in the play offs will be the 7th placed team in the league (assuming the Italians stay bottom).

This is the second time they've changed it by the way.

On the afternoon of the 26th of January, and presumably for quite a while beforehand, the page linked above stated that:
    For the 2014/15 season, the 20th qualifier was determined by a play-off over two legs between the clubs ranked seventh in the Aviva Premiership and the Top 14.

For subsequent seasons, the seventh-ranked club from the Top 14, the seventh-ranked club from the Aviva Premiership, and the eighth-ranked club from the PRO12 (or the highest-ranked club not already qualified automatically) will compete in a play-off series for the 20th place in the Champions Cup as follows:

By the evening of the 26th of January this had changed to:

For the 2014/15 season, the 20th qualifier was determined by a play-off over two legs between the clubs ranked seventh in the Aviva Premiership and the Top 14.

For subsequent seasons, the play-offs for the 20th qualifier will include the following clubs:

The seventh-ranked club from the Top 14, or the winner of the 2014/15 Challenge Cup if from the Top 14 and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

The seventh-ranked club from the Aviva Premiership, or the winner of the 2014/15 Challenge Cup if from the Aviva Premiership and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

The eighth-ranked club from the PRO12, or the winner of the 2014/15 Challenge Cup if from the PRO12 and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

Source

Today it reads:
    For the 2015/16 season, the play-offs for the 20th qualifier will include the following clubs:

The seventh-ranked club from the Top 14.

The seventh-ranked club from the Aviva Premiership, or the winner of the 2014/15 Challenge Cup if from the Aviva Premiership and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

The highest-ranked club from the PRO12 if not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

These guys make the FAI look like Google.

• Advertisement

Advertisement